Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter with a bit of GRS (21th October 2022)

Kon

A quick fairly stable capture despite the gushing winds and incoming clouds tonight. GRS was on its way out. 8" Dob, manual, asi462, UV/IR cut filter, 2.5x TV powermate.

image.png.eb50ccf656102515b3b3ce772f67427a.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 19

• Kon changed the title to Jupiter with a bit of GRS (21th October 2022)
2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Another great shot! Loads of speckles amongst the bands to see here.

I wish the clouds hadn't spoiled the fun. I was surprised on the details despite shooting through clouds.

16 minutes ago, Kon said:

I wish the clouds hadn't spoiled the fun. I was surprised on the details despite shooting through clouds.

The surprise part is what makes planetary fun in my opinion. Never really know what you're going to get until processing.

16 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

The surprise part is what makes planetary fun in my opinion. Never really know what you're going to get until processing.

I agree, you get a lot more details during processing but despite my limited experience with imaging,  I am finding that unless I can see some good details during capture the end result will not be as good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kon said:

@Stuand @geoflewis thank you for your comments. I think I am getting the hand of Jupiter processing thanks to the several tips/comments from @neil phillips on my several posts, and  I am also learning that less is better with planetary imaging.

I only made a few suggestions the real leap has been your own eyes and judgment. Its easy to tell when someone has a certain naturalness towards planetary imaging. Everyone can do it of course. some just seem to be guided by their eyes to the point of just getting the right balance naturally. And it's hard to teach people that. For the most part you have to teach yourself. You can only really guide. The rest is up to the person doing it. And that's what I've seen with you. Would love to see what you could do with serious kit. But i know it's an expensive hobby. Spent my whole life trying to do imaging on a budget. So, I get your journey. I hope one day in the years to come. to see you go further forward. Its people with that natural flair that I find so interesting. If i win the Euro millions lol i will send you some kit. Youve put a lot of us to shame with how much you have achieved with the kit you have. Keep trying to go forward Kon. is my enduring advice 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I only made a few suggestions the real leap has been your own eyes and judgment. Its easy to tell when someone has a certain naturalness towards planetary imaging. Everyone can do it of course. some just seem to be guided by their eyes to the point of just getting the right balance naturally. And it's hard to teach people that. For the most part you have to teach yourself. You can only really guide. The rest is up to the person doing it. And that's what I've seen with you. Would love to see what you could do with serious kit. But i know it's an expensive hobby. Spent my whole life trying to do imaging on a budget. So, I get your journey. I hope one day in the years to come. to see you go further forward. Its people with that natural flair that I find so interesting. If i win the Euro millions lol i will send you some kit. Youve put a lot of us to shame with how much you have achieved with the kit you have. Keep trying to go forward Kon. is my enduring advice 

Thanks Neil. It is not just the comments to me but feedback that you give to others as well that I try to mix and match and like you said play with the data and available options we have. I think, and I am sure others will agree with me, that we all benefit from your expertise and experience. SGL is great in that respect.

I will hold you on the millionaire ticket promise 😉. By the way, FLO told me that they are looking to possibly source the EQ platform from a German supplier so it may not be too long before I get one. Germany  seems to have other platforms in stock but with the import duty its not worthwhile, unless I am there to pick one up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sorrimen said:

Fantastic work. I always hate my images with the spot leaving as it never gets the detail on the edge that I’d like. Can’t say the same here as you’ve absolutely nailed it! 

I feel you, it is nice to have the GRS but most of my captures have it at the edge or without it.

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Neil. It is not just the comments to me but feedback that you give to others as well that I try to mix and match and like you said play with the data and available options we have. I think, and I am sure others will agree with me, that we all benefit from your expertise and experience. SGL is great in that respect.

I will hold you on the millionaire ticket promise 😉. By the way, FLO told me that they are looking to possibly source the EQ platform from a German supplier so it may not be too long before I get one. Germany  seems to have other platforms in stock but with the import duty its not worthwhile, unless I am there to pick one up.

Yeah i was reading the old supplier no longer provides them. Sounds interesting FLO Trying to source a new supplier. Even though a platform still wont be easy likely drift in declination. 

Look at what your doing with nothing. In your hands it will likely be a revelation. Planning for next year. I just missed out on here on a EQ6 R PRO Mount. Think I will save and try and get one from FLO Then I can use a Newtonian up to 20KGs in weight. Next year the UK Can take it to another level. Exciting times

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Nice image there m, shows even in poor conditions it’s worth going out. I’d be tempted to boost the saturation little to give it some zip

I always seem to go either  less or too much with the saturation as it can quickly look 'posterised'. I need to find the balance. Something like that or more?

image.png.01c9c4cf4666cfe1f7dbe55ac4910154.png

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Yeah i was reading the old supplier no longer provides them. Sounds interesting FLO Trying to source a new supplier. Even though a platform still wont be easy likely drift in declination. 

Look at what your doing with nothing. In your hands it will likely be a revelation. Planning for next year. I just missed out on here on a EQ6 R PRO Mount. Think I will save and try and get one from FLO Then I can use a Newtonian up to 20KGs in weight. Next year the UK Can take it to another level. Exciting times

Yes, I am proactively looking for a platform but rather limited choices in UK (that are not costing an arm and leg).

I hope you can get hold of the mount and Dob you want for next year, you seem very excited about it from what I have read on other posts. I am sure you will have incredible images. It seems that regardless of the scope you use, small or large, you manage to pull amazing details.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I always seem to go either  less or too much with the saturation as it can quickly look 'posterised'. I need to find the balance. Something like that or more?

image.png.01c9c4cf4666cfe1f7dbe55ac4910154.png

It's one of those things you won't please all of the people all of the time. Some hate a lot of colour, Others like it. Within reason I tend to like it. Always liked your colour balance. And I think this looks good. Definitely richer. Doesn't need anymore though. My 32" monitor has a wide colour gamut 95% DCI - P3. It's not the best but it's pretty good. And you don't need anymore saturation. Viewing on that Thats the upper limit right there i think

• Thanks 1

Brilliant work with the manual Dob! You must have the touch of a brain surgeon to keep Jupiter in view! I assume you are simply nudging the OTA by hand? Have you tried winjupos? Would certainly help with the noise level if you havent tried it. How many frames are you managing to capture in each run?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Brilliant work with the manual Dob! You must have the touch of a brain surgeon to keep Jupiter in view! I assume you are simply nudging the OTA by hand? Have you tried winjupos? Would certainly help with the noise level if you havent tried it. How many frames are you managing to capture in each run?

Yes I use the drift method and when it reaches the other side I move it to the other side and repeat. I use a RACI as it's easier on my back plus keeping an eye on the laptop.

I can easily shoot a 3min video for Jupiter and 5 or so for Saturn. I am shooting at 200fps so I easily have 50000 frames with 45000 having it. I think my ISS captures have helped with Jupiter that moves at a snail pace.

I never shoot more than 3 minutes and from what I have read the distortion of pixels is insignificant in that small time frame. Saying that I have tried it with the image after registax but I didn't like the result; I want to try derotate the video and then stack etc.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yes I use the drift method and when it reaches the other side I move it to the other side and repeat. I use a RACI as it's easier on my back plus keeping an eye on the laptop.

I can easily shoot a 3min video for Jupiter and 5 or so for Saturn. I am shooting at 200fps so I easily have 50000 frames with 45000 having it. I think my ISS captures have helped with Jupiter that moves at a snail pace.

I never shoot more than 3 minutes and from what I have read the distortion of pixels is insignificant in that small time frame. Saying that I have tried it with the image after registax but I didn't like the result; I want to try derotate the video and then stack etc.

I didnt realize it was possible to capture videos of that length with manual tracking, quite remarkable what you are doing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1