SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A snatch of jupiter 11th Oct

neil phillips

I setup too late on the 11th Jupiter was already hitting the opposite roof and I know what that means. I got one capture as the thermals started. By the time I got to the second it was just flowing with thermals. So gave up and went to do some lunar imaging. Got a fair amount of detail out of that one capture though. Especially inside the GRS

Orion 245mm Newt. qhy 462c Baarder uv ir cut filter Celestron 2x ultima barlow. sw eq5 pro

11TH OCT 22.26 UT DE ROT.png E.png F.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 15

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I setup too late on the 11th Jupiter was already hitting the opposite roof and I know what that means. I got one capture as the thermals started. By the time I got to the second it was just flowing with thermals. So gave up and went to do some lunar imaging. Got a fair amount of detail out of that one capture though. Especially inside the GRS

Orion 245mm Newt. qhy 462c Baarder uv ir cut filter Celestron 2x ultima barlow. sw eq5 pro

11TH OCT 22.26 UT DE ROT.png c.png

Well you did it again Neil. I thought that there were too many clouds to even look, how wrong was I, that's a lovely image.

5 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Well you did it again Neil. I thought that there were too many clouds to even look, how wrong was I, that's a lovely image.

Wish I had got out earlier as I would have got a few. Work at focus etc..  Cant be helped annoying though. 

Thanks, Geof weather looks bad until next week. Jupiter receding from earth now.

Edited by neil phillips

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Wish I had got out earlier as I would have got a few. Work at focus etc..  Cant be helped annoying though. 

Thanks, Geof weather looks bad until next week. Jupiter receding from earth now.

Yes, agree not looking good, plus I'm travelling w/c 22/10, so won't be able to image any of the planets until 28/10, so I'm hoping that there is a window sometime next week, or it's going to be Nov.....🤔

5 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Yes, agree not looking good, plus I'm travelling w/c 22/10, so won't be able to image any of the planets until 28/10, so I'm hoping that there is a window sometime next week, or it's going to be Nov.....🤔

The further it recedes from earth the less impressive it becomes. As asda say every little helps. But we cant control the weather' Safe journey Geof

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

Great image Neil. I feel this may be on  your top 3 best captures this season.

Think I nailed focus. Was rushing mind. it started with a lot of detail on screen. 4 mins in. the thermals started getting worse. But i knew there was detail there. Was just sitting on it for a bit while I did some lunar. 

Thanks, Kon. 

1 minute ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice Neil, shows it’s worth getting out there if you can, even if only for one capture.

What makes you choose the celestron ultimate barlow over the Baader Q? Just a bit less power? 

No other way around actually Craig I was trying to come down a bit. And the Baader Q unscrewed and fits directly onto the ADC. However, trying imaging over a period now, I seem to get my best results with the Ultima. Don't think it's just luck or circumstance. Seems to be a real effect. Even though of course gain will be higher with the 2x on the ADC rather than 2.25 x baader Q (1.5 unscrewed) directly into the ADC. What's your thoughts. 

Cheers 

18 hours ago, neil phillips said:

No other way around actually Craig I was trying to come down a bit. And the Baader Q unscrewed and fits directly onto the ADC. However, trying imaging over a period now, I seem to get my best results with the Ultima. Don't think it's just luck or circumstance. Seems to be a real effect. Even though of course gain will be higher with the 2x on the ADC rather than 2.25 x baader Q (1.5 unscrewed) directly into the ADC. What's your thoughts. 

Cheers 

Yeah I’m not sure there should be much difference optically between the Celestron and the Baader, maybe be there is, never had a Celestron Ultima.  Probably need back to back testing to reveal if one is optically sharper than the other. 

I’d have thought the Baader would give you more than 2.25x when screwed into the ADC nose as the distance to the camera is then farther than if using it on the nose of the camera? Mine gives me 3.4x when on the nose of the ADC (measured off the captured image).

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Yeah I’m not sure there should be much difference optically between the Celestron and the Baader, maybe be there is, never had a Celestron Ultima.  Probably need back to back testing to reveal if one is optically sharper than the other. 

I’d have thought the Baader would give you more than 2.25x when screwed into the ADC nose as the distance to the camera is then farther than if using it on the nose of the camera? Mine gives me 3.4x when on the nose of the ADC (measured off the captured image).

Yes, your right I was talking about Manufacturas Estimimation of power produced by unscrewing the Baader Q 

• 2 weeks later...