Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 2nd Oct

neil phillips

Seeing was better than the other day. Still not great but certainly a lot better. trans was good. Just kept going out of focus. Though there was enough moments at the end for some detail to come through

Orion 245mm Newtonian. QHY462C ZWO ADC. Baader UV IR CUT. Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow. SW EQ5 PRO

6 min vid de rotation. Two different types of processing 1.5x then downsized to 90% The moon is IO

22:57 UT

2022-10-02-2257_1-DeRot_2nd oct 150.png 90.png sgl.png 2.png 3.png

oct 3rd 150 90.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 21

Nice.

With my 180 Mak last night, I found there was a lot more shadow detail on the disk than I normally see - transparency maybe as the Milky Way was very bright and clear with the naked eye. I always think it looks weird when the moon shadow is "on the wrong side" after opposition.

Chris

5 hours ago, Kon said:

Great result there, and the shadow in nice display. Lovely details considering the conditions. Seeing became pretty good, on/off, around 11-1230.

Yes it started wobbly. But improved as it got higher. Still not the best here though as it was going in and out of focus. If  I could just get a run where focus was solid. Even better would happen. But those conditions are much rarer here. Still i will take the improvement i had from the day before

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Nice.

With my 180 Mak last night, I found there was a lot more shadow detail on the disk than I normally see - transparency maybe as the Milky Way was very bright and clear with the naked eye. I always think it looks weird when the moon shadow is "on the wrong side" after opposition.

Chris

After the day before transparency was a lot better. Seeing also somewhat better i thought Chris. Though focus was difficult. I would get it close. then tweak one more time for precise focus. And it would go out again. I've seen this effect a lot recently. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Seeing was better than the other day. Still not great but certainly a lot better. trans was good. Just kept going out of focus. Though there was enough moments at the end for some detail to come through

Orion 245mm Newtonian. QHY462C ZWO ADC. Baader UV IR CUT. Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow. SW EQ5 PRO

6 min vid de rotation. Two different types of processing 1.5x then downsized to 90% The moon is IO

22:57 UT

2022-10-02-2257_1-DeRot_2nd oct 150.png 90.png sgl.png 2.png 3.png

oct 3rd 150 90.png

Interesting that the disc, as opposed to the shadow, of Io is difficult to make out while near the centre of the Jovian disc, whereas in the case of Ganymede, you can make out the disc quite easily throughout. 

John 

2 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Interesting that the disc, as opposed to the shadow, of Io is difficult to make out while near the centre of the Jovian disc, whereas in the case of Ganymede, you can make out the disc quite easily throughout. 

John 

I've seen it a lot over the years I believe it's a contrast effect. Just saw a C14 shot of the moon appearing exactly the same 

• Like 2

Excellent result Neil. As you know I was out last night with my C14, still processing the data. I had trouble with Io in post, which as you commented is likely due to contrast effects. I've had better results with Io using an old TIS colour camera previously, so got sidetracked wondering what the heck....

I'll get my processed later and put it up in a separate thread. As you also observed the seeing was very in/out with focus changing rapidly minute to minute, so in the end I went with what was something of a gut feel on best focus. We really need to have a session with more stable seeing to nail the result.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Excellent result Neil. As you know I was out last night with my C14, still processing the data. I had trouble with Io in post, which as you commented is likely due to contrast effects. I've had better results with Io using an old TIS colour camera previously, so got sidetracked wondering what the heck....

I'll get my processed later and put it up in a separate thread. As you also observed the seeing was very in/out with focus changing rapidly minute to minute, so in the end I went with what was something of a gut feel on best focus. We really need to have a session with more stable seeing to nail the result.

We really need to have a session with more stable seeing to nail the result

Yes, and it's better to have it around opposition. But I am not that hopeful. But stubborn enough to try

look forward to seeing your finished results Geoff

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

If it is a contrast effect  it looks much the same in my tiddly scope (apologies for the processing, my skills are limited).

Chris

Jupiter 02102022.png

I expect it to look the same in most images Chris. Though of course you never know I suppose

Good capture