Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dithering

I usually dither every 5 or 6 mins or so, so this could be as little as 2 subs (my max exposure time is usually 3 mins with an L-Enhance filter) or as many as 10 or 12 subs (if I'm down at 30 sec exposures). I also try to make sure the dither is 10 pixels on the main camera - you need to work out how many pixels this corresponds to on the guide camera.  

3 hours ago, iantaylor2uk said:

I usually dither every 5 or 6 mins or so, so this could be as little as 2 subs (my max exposure time is usually 3 mins with an L-Enhance filter) or as many as 10 or 12 subs (if I'm down at 30 sec exposures). I also try to make sure the dither is 10 pixels on the main camera - you need to work out how many pixels this corresponds to on the guide camera.  

I used to dither every sub, then went to every 5 but seen a couple of videos about drizzle integration and saying dither is essential, which I knew, but wondering if it has to be every frame. 

It's neither, it's about having enough shifts in a sequence, I want about 20 shifts (which is quite conservative). If plan 60 exposures and want 20 shifts then every 3, no matter what length.  OTOH if you're shooting 15-minute frames then you want to dither every time.

Typically I do 60x5min a channel and dither each 3.  If I go 60x7 min then 2.

Dithering is not costless, it's a tax on exposure time and there's a tradeoff of losing SNR to either insufficient or excessive dithering.

On 17/09/2022 at 02:17, licho52 said:

It's neither, it's about having enough shifts in a sequence, I want about 20 shifts (which is quite conservative). If plan 60 exposures and want 20 shifts then every 3, no matter what length.  OTOH if you're shooting 15-minute frames then you want to dither every time.

Typically I do 60x5min a channel and dither each 3.  If I go 60x7 min then 2.

Dithering is not costless, it's a tax on exposure time and there's a tradeoff of losing SNR to either insufficient or excessive dithering.

What do you mean by losing snr to excessive dithering? 

I usually dither every frame for narrowband, every 3 frames for R,G,B filters, and every 5 frames for luminance. 

Though the reason I dither every 3 and 5 for RGB and L is because of the larger number of frames I take compared to NB (owing to shorter exposure), and wanting to save back from imaging time

• 5 weeks later...