sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

Messier 57 is is just coming into a position for a decent look around 11 30 pm. IT is a colourful object and I thought it would give me a good target with which to practice my colour developing in PS/Lightroom. I have read so much about how to produce a LRGB image from the four stacked/calibrated luminance, red, blue and green images,  a lot seems contradicatory and some, when followed, gave me colour yes, but not as we know it. I am sure a fair chunk must be put down to me. Anyway, I now have a work flow which gives me colour, sometimes resembling what other people have obtained. Progess of sorts.

This images is based on 114s subs at gain 139, offset 21.
L 39, R 20, G 20, B 19
Calibrated  and stacked in DSS (flats, dark flats and darks)

Messier 57 Ring Nebula in Lyra

729187506_20200512-M57May122020.thumb.jpg.6676d31a34e7093948b36dcbe5d1444b.jpg

NASA: M57, or the Ring Nebula, is a planetary nebula, the glowing remains of a sun-like star. The tiny white dot in the centre of the nebula is the star’s hot core, called a white dwarf. M57 is about 2,000 light-years away in the constellation Lyra, and is best observed during August. Discovered by the French astronomer Antoine Darquier de Pellepoix in 1779, the Ring Nebula has an apparent magnitude of 8.8 and can be spotted with moderately sized telescopes.

Equipment: Celestron 9.25 XLT at F10,  Skywatcher EQ6 Pro GEM, ZWO 1600MM Pro, ZWO EFW with ZWO LRGB filters, QHY5IIC guide camera on Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope, Celestron Focus Motor
Software: Ascom 6, Eqmod, Cartes du Ciel, AstroPhotography Tool, PHD2

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Liv
      I saw another post similar to this on here and the replies seemed to be very believable and informative so I thought I’d ask here.

For the past week or so I have been sitting outside at night between 10pm and 12pm and just watching the stars come out. I haven’t been using my telescope because I didn’t feel like I would need it. The skies have been very clear and the stars beautiful but I’ve been noticing some strange happenings in the sky. I’m not saying ufos I’m just wondering what these may be, so let me explain further.
      First my mother and I witnessed a singular light, white light flying through the sky. There were no navigation lights or sounds. Just a singular light flying by, we ruled out airplanes because it was two low to be one but was also way too fast to be a helicopter. I’ve seen them twice and they always seem incredibly high up and barely distinguishable from stars. They aren’t shooting stars because they fly completely differently. Another thing I have noticed are flashes, like stars that get bigger and then suddenly disappear, like a flash. And I mean completely disappear! Now I’m sure I’ve read of these things before in one of my astronomy books but I’m honestly not sure what they could be. They fly and react different to any aircraft or stars so I’m intrigued. They also appear as if they are stars and look like they fly or flash right next to real stars. 

Now I feel like I need to note that I know a lot about astronomy it has amazed me since childhood and I am a skeptic. My family has a long history of being in the airforce, mostly as engineers and creators of new technology so when it comes to lights in the sky we usually have a good answer, but no one could explain these sightings. I also live near an airfield so I don’t understand why (if these aircraft were from there) were flying so incredibly high up, so fast and so far away from the airfield, they seemed to come out of the night and fly off and back into the dark. It was also completely clear nights with little clouds during these sightings.
      I’m asking here because I believe anyone who reads this will have a good answer for me and won’t immediately ridicule me for thinking I saw a UFO. Please let me know if there’s anything you think this could be or any questions you have! Thank you so much for reading and happy stargazing!
    • By MarsG76
      The Carina Nebula (NGC 3372) also known as the Grand Nebula, Great Nebula in Carina, or Eta Carinae Nebula, is a large complex area of bright and dark nebulosity in the constellation Carina.
      The nebula lies at an estimated distance between 6,500 and 10,000 light-years from Earth.
      This image was taken from my backyard in Bortle 4-5 skies through a 80mm refractor at F6.25 (500mm focal length) with a QHY268M camera through 7nm H-Alpha, SII and OIII filters.
      Total exposure time was 5 hour and 50 minutes. Subs captured were HII: 12x600s OIII: 2x600s & 4x900s SII: 10x900s @ HCG:62 on 18th May 2021.
    • By MarsG76
      This is my first image created using my new camera.
      This is NGC3603 and NGC3576 (AKA The "Statue of Liberty" nebula), a massive H-Alpha region containing a very compact open cluster, located in the constellation "Carina" about 20,000LY away.
      I took this photo on multiple nights, between 7th - 17th May 2021. Imaged using a QHY268M attached to a 80mm f6.25 refractor on a equatorial mount.
      Total exposure time was 25 Hours and 35 minutes using 7nm HII, OIII and SII Narrowband filters... imaged from a bortle 4-5 semi rural sky.

HII: 3x600s, 12x900s & 8x1200s subs
      OIII: 18x900s & 11x1800s subs
      SII: 21x900s, 2x1200s & 7x1800s @ HCG:62
    • By wavydavy
      Abell 39 planetary nebula taken 5 yrs apart. The first one was taken with a MN190 Scope, an Atik 314L mono, and was a bicolor pic using h-alpha and OIII. Cant remember the exact details but fairly sure it was 15 x 8 min exposures. The second pic was a different camera, a Zwo ASI 553MC Pro. 12 x 6 min exposures, the scope was  an Altair astro Ascent 4 inch refractor, also used an altair astro triband filter, guided with PHD2 and used an Ioptron CEM 120 Mount. Hope you like!

• By SuburbanMak
      Was about to turn in tonight when I noticed it had finally cleared so I headed out into the garden planless for a quick look around with my recent eBay Hilkin 60mm f13.3. 

Seeing was actually pretty steady & transparency up high improving all the time. 

I’m still waiting on the Vixen converter which will allow 1.25 eyepieces so took out the array of .965s which are in varying stages of disrepair. 

There is something satisfying about the way they slot into the split-cut diagonal with no thumbscrews - shame most of the higher powers seemed borderline unusable. 

The 25mm though gives a nice crisp view and I congratulated myself on my bargain looking at some lovely tight concentric rings either side of focus on Vega before hopping up to Epsilon Lyrae. 

Stepping down the focal lengths I was just about splitting the more southerly pair with a 12.5 mm (64x) and not a bad view. The 9mm (89x) on axis confirmed this lower pair & showed some elongation in the fainter, more northerly pair. Kind of dim view though.
      The 6mm & 5mm were hopeless. 

Popped the 25mm back in and took a pot shot at M57 which to my delight showed as a tiny but crisp circle.  Tried to step up the magnification but it was not happening. 

Enjoyed a nice contrasty view of Alberio for a while - really do like the tight pinpoint stars, good colour and inky background in this scope. 
      It’s a lovely still, warm night but the town clock striking two reminded me I have work in the morning so I took one last sweep around the rich centre of Cygnus.
      I landed on a pretty little cluster a bit like a micro-Pleiades & realised I was looking at M29 - a thrill to have tracked down a new-to-me Messier object with this lovely old instrument. 
      I’ve hatched a plan to see how many of the lunar 100 I can observe with the Hilkin - seems a fitting task for it!

As I packed up a huge Skytrain of 20+ satellites went N-S behind Deneb - biggest one I’ve seen and amazing in its way. 
      Lovely all-analogue couple of hours well spent. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.