Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Undercuts - annoying or what...

Mr Spock

8 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I had a similar problem with undercuts: I'd spend ages finding a target, then try to change the EP to something with higher mag. The undercut would immediately hang up, pulling the scope off line.......sigh, start again.

I independently tried a Clicklock and the problem has gone. Expensive for what they are but may have saved me from having a heart attack...😄

Which click lock did you fit on your SL dobsonian? I need one.

I wish I hadn't started this. Just ordered the 2" Baader Diagonal and adapter... 

I'm due a £500 bonus in October, which after tax and NI is £333.75. That now leaves me £20 to spend... 😜

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I wish I hadn't started this. Just ordered the 2" Baader Diagonal and adapter... 

I'm due a £500 bonus in October, which after tax and NI is £333.75. That now leaves me £20 to spend... 😜

I thought you didn't need them, having the LVWs set?(and I'm not in the least bit envious of them!)..😁😊

Dave

Edited by F15Rules

4 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

But they're not the problem, as shown by Baader Click lock type holders. It's the 'compression' rings on traditional holders that are the problem. Damn things should be banned, I had a Televue 2x barlow, can't remember what eyepiece I put in it, but the ring somehow snagged so badly that I couldn't get the eyepiece back out without brute force. I think I threw them both in the bin in disgust. Now, I remove the compression rings and use nylon tipped screws instead.

😅 You tell 'em! But I too feel undercuts are meant to work with screws (only).
You can indeed remove the brass rings and retain or discard them as desired... 🥳
I must admit, I'm not over-fond of "screw marks" on e.p.s, so the idea of using
nylon tipped screws is good! Sometimes I just use M3 cheesehead nylon bolts. 😉

24 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I don't really need them, but, they look so nice... :biggrin:

Plus the Clicklock makes EP changing a breeze - no more fumbling with little screws.....

Oh, note for anyone unfamiliar with Clicklocks: you do NOT need or want to tighten the little lever to its max. Just enough so that the lever isn't loose and the EP will be gripped firmly. I've heard tales of people tightening them with real welly and then having to do the same to loosen - just unnecessary.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Plus the Clicklock makes EP changing a breeze - no more fumbling with little screws.....

Oh, note for anyone unfamiliar with Clicklocks: you do NOT need or want to tighten the little lever to its max. Just enough so that the lever isn't loose and the EP will be gripped firmly. I've heard tales of people tightening them with real welly and then having to do the same to loosen - just unnecessary.

Agreed. I'm pretty gentle with it and still sometimes find that I've tightened it more than expected!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

I like the look of the Baader stuff, but at £71 the adapter is a bit expensive. The 2" diagonal looks nice too. But when you add them together it comes to £305 😲

As my LVWs are the only eyepieces I have with undercuts and can be used 2", I don't need to do anything. It also means I can switch from the 42mm, which is 2", to any of the others without having to fiddle with an adapter.

Perfect for my double star setup as I use the 42mm as a finder.

An inexpensive Twist-Lock adapter will work just as well, and works well with undercut barrels.  No snag going in or out.

• Like 1

I've a couple bits that have a compression ring, rest is thumbscrews and only a couple eyepieces that have undercuts. Have noticed that they catch if I don't back the screw off enough but never had one end up jammed. Now I initially lift them gently and if any resistance back the screw up a bit more. Not seen a need to get a click-lock as not sure of the benefit for that price and having read of a couple that did jam decided too much trouble for me thanks 🙂 

Might give the copper foil tape trick a go tho just so they're all evened up 👍

Edited by DaveL59

On 14/08/2022 at 14:19, Ricochet said:

I'm about to blow your mind. 

Wait for it... 

DSC_3366.thumb.JPG.d2b7ebdba4b2663bb2fa35546e32021f.JPG

Well it blew my mind at least when I discovered you can just unscrew the original eyepiece clamp. 😂 

Thanks @Ricochet for the great tip. I actually had the clicklock from earlier experiments with Binoviewers but did not realise I could attach it to the Lunt!

Malcolm

IMG_20220816_132803214_HDR.thumb.jpg.5e43b64bf9283691c87157d9e619c8c2.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Undercuts?  I detest them too!

None here. I just leave twist lock adapters on mine and all 4 are parfocal as well. Same as the two barlows. O-rings to parfocalize them, and twist lock adapters so all are now in 2 inch mode as I only own 2" filters. I still need a 30mm UFF eyepiece, a 17.5mm Morpheus, and a 5mm XW to round off my set.

Cheers!

No undercuts.JPG

On 15/08/2022 at 06:26, Roy Challen said:

It's the 'compression' rings on traditional holders that are the problem. Damn things should be banned

Well said that man, there is wisdom in simple methods such as using a set screw to secure an eyepiece, who cares if it marks the barrel they're meant to be used.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Well said that man, there is wisdom in simple methods such as using a set screw to secure an eyepiece, who cares if it marks the barrel they're meant to be used.

Until you come to sell them on and people want to knock down your selling price "due to all the unsightly marks on the barrel"..

:rolleyes2::glasses12::)

Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Until you come to sell them on and people want to knock down your selling price "due to all the unsightly marks on the barrel"..

:rolleyes2::glasses12::)

Dave 

So, buy used eyepieces, leave marks on them and sell them as used with marks.

I've done that a few hundred times, and at 50% of the new price (not what I paid), they sold instantly.

The difference between what I paid and what I received was a "rental cost".

If there were an eyepiece rental service, I bet they'd be busy and marks wouldn't matter at all.

So it is with eyepieces sold at 50% of new.  No one cares about marks, boxes, or anything.

If your finances are very tight (and I've been there), and you cannot afford to lose any money, use nylon screws to not leave marks and you can sell

the eyepieces for about the same price you paid.

All my eyepieces have marks except those in quasi-permanent adapters, and it's never inhibited the sales.

The problem comes when you want to sell for, say, 80% of the new price and customers expect the eyepiece to be brand new.

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

If there were an eyepiece rental service, I bet they'd be busy and marks wouldn't matter at all.

OMG, rental photo equipment is often battered beyond belief by professional photographers.  I only buy used photo equipment from novices who have barely used their equipment and need quick cash.