Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One thing I've always wondered about

4 hours ago, SthBohemia said:

I wanna know why @Zeta Reticulan has so many telescopes, let alone the selection of EP's, barlows, diagonals, mounts and kitchen sinks! Then we have @Dave59 with a few hundred sets of binoculars 🙂 

😞  I must be the poor orphan of SGL ! Gonna go and sulk inna da 'orphans hovel....

4 refractors, , 114, 2x127, 250 Newtonians, 8" SCT, RASA, RC & Newt. NO Dobsonians.

Acquired over many years with a view to seelling older kit, and not getting round to it :) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

53 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

if I did that I'd likely fall asleep till the cats or other wildlife woke me 😄 

Like these cute, sweet innocent things?

friendly faces

image.thumb.jpeg.8efd537018cf07115129db5d4b551863.jpeg

keeping my Pegasus kit safe.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0b4bebe2a84f9272b77a42cbe7d77ee.jpeg

and this one is securing my tablet

IMG_3292.thumb.jpeg.088937b8e8e002736ee497d833b174be.jpeg

and keeping in scope, one of my NOT Dobsoniansimage.thumb.png.10b4a2eddce8cb1ad667616890de61e4.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, iapa said:

friendly faces

Yet more cats, a couple of the herd of 6 within Oz before transport to CZR...

@Mr Spock ,Just 4 you I included a pic of another pair of cats that travelled from  OZ.. 🙂 

thumb_DSCN5577_1024.jpg

thumb_DSCN5583_1024.jpg

zzzz.JPG

Edited by SthBohemia
  • Like 3

I resisted the temptation to post pics of mine but they can be found elsewhere anyways 🙂

So back on topic then...

Think we've had a lot of debate on the dob vs other stuff side, but what about new vs used?

Not sure but I think newbs don't get access to the for sale section and even so they'd have the same issue to understand what's being offered and it it'd suit their needs. Also the fact that used means no come-back for problems and no support to guide them over the initial bumps in the road to frustration. But then there's a lot of helpful folks here in the forum who've often given valuable guidance on how to set up, collimate etc. The risk of course is we suggest one and it turns out to be a bit of a dud, esp as we likely can't/haven't gone and checked it out personally. So far tho I've found that each scope I've bought and collected from the seller has been fine and the seller often extremely helpful in showing how it sets up etc. Obviously tho they are star gazers themselves and want you to be confident that you bought something good and will be able to enjoy using it. Perhaps I've just been lucky?

Just seems to me that someone comes along, small budget and the starter options are pretty limited, yet out in the web or even on here there's a pretty decent bit of kit that might be significantly better for them at less or same price. I know a couple of us have popped those up into threads occasionally but what do folks think? (not trying to do FLO or anyone out of a sale here, before anyone thinks that, nor am I gonna try sell anything in this thread 🙂

PS - Almost all of my gear is used purchases, but I'll admit that being a tinkerer and having fiddled with binos and camera lenses I guess I was more prepared to take a risk after assessing, even buying something that needed some refurb tho was optically fine, just tatty paint. Inexperienced folks likely should be more cautious but then again how many buy a used car but aren't mechanics?

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2

Of the "better" OTAs, the ESPRIT ED80, Quattro 10CF and 8" SCT were all pre-owned.

Today the only issue has been the paint on the inside of the SCT flaking, I've had this for at lest 5 years, unsure as to previous ownership.

Considering the time kept out doors under a 365 cover is understandable.

The "lessers" 2nd hand OTAs include a gifted Tasco refractor, 114 & 127 Newtonians both of which are Jones-Bird design, unsuited for imaging (which I was totally unaware of at the time).

Also have an AVX I bought recently which is in much better condition than mine despite being the same age :)

Edited by iapa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

So back on topic then...

Wonders what the topic is 😞  Taking a wild guess, new vs used equipment?  Wonders how many people buy 'new' cars! Then wonders 'why'! Lotsa wonderings from me 😞 Canna say much regarding your latest contribution Dave as I simply don't buy new, even this Apple 3.1 computer was purchased 'used'. Tis a great machine, all 21Kg of it, the cats canna knock it over!

The SGL buy/sell option opens after a month and posting 30 odd messages, some wish to up the anti- 1 year+ and 200000 posts... I guess established members can still send a PM to someone- ie Get a plane, train or walk to so and so and pickup xyz....

• Like 2

well it was an attempt to steer vaguely back to the top of what to recommend, just figured we'd probably hit a natural end to the way it started but then comments about going to a proper scope show and new not used got me to thinking a different "why?"

We've had several arrive here asking for help on something they picked up off cheap online or department store sources and easy to see why they struggle with those. But occasionally someone asks regarding a used item on the bay or elsewhere, sometimes as is cheap or other reason. Some of those are very much not worthwhile of course but sometimes you think "drat how had I not seen that one!". Either way help is forthcoming from the crew on here as we're a nice bunch, really 🙂 

That TAL-1 I popped into the original thread for example, now its a lot more than I paid for my non-motorised one but knowing how solid they are and the mirrors are good quality, to me worth a look. It'll be way better than a lower end SW or similar on EQ2 type mounts for example. OK its limited maybe if it has the older 32mm focuser but even then very usable, tho this one sounded like it took 1.25-inch. Could be wrong, again ask and do your own background research as you've also said and if poss, go look at it and chat with the seller as often they're quite helpful. But the way these are made, very simple and easy to repaint etc should you need/want to etc.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

Going back to the original question, don't most of us buy more than one type of telescope before long?  In my case I bought a 10 inch Dob, then soon after a 72mm refractor.

The Dob still gets more use though as it shows very much more, both on solar system and deep sky objects.  However, the refractor has a wider field of view, cools more quickly so is more suitable for short sessions, and is great for h-alpha solar views.

Each is good for different things, so it's not a case of one type being better or worse.

As for new vs used, all but one of my 4 scopes I bought used, and that was only because I wanted a Starsense Explorer to port to all my scopes.

This meant I saved an awful lot, but I was able to do so only because of what I had learnt here on Stargazers Lounge and Cloudy Nights.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

As for new vs used, all but one of my 4 scopes I bought new, and that was only because I wanted a Starsense Explorer to port to all my scopes.

This meant I saved an awful lot, but I was able to do so only because of what I had learnt here on Stargazers Lounge and Cloudy Nights.

Did you mean all but one was bought used there Steve?

For me the approach was different in terms of what I have and why, but I didn't enter the hobby until a couple years back and had specific equipment in mind. Having spend time rebuilding binos I got interested again and after researching around decided I wanted a TAL, either TAL-1 reflector or better a TAL100 refractor. That was based on good write-ups but of course those didn't come up first. so  settled on a SW130 as it was reasonably local and a good price and to be fair it gives good views once it settles down after touching anything.

Then a baby TAL came up not too far, the TAL-M in original wood case too but tatty looking from paint scrapes over years of family use. It might be a small 80mm mirror but it gives great views but you are limited to the TAL eyepieces, thankfully good. Missing the 25mm and the eyepiece extension tube, that's an  issue to watch for when buying used, what's missing and can you get one now. Still, I used this a lot and the bigger SW130 slowly shifted to the back of the conservatory. Mainly it is compact, easy to lift outside fully assembled and at the end walk it back in again, no messing about. Meantime kept an eye out for the ones I'd originally wanted as this baby TAL hooked me on the solid build and longevity. So then the big frac, a TAL100RS in Coventry so a long round trip but well worthwhile. Now I'd have stopped there but a TAL-1 came up local with the russian size eyepieces so went and got that just for the 25mm eyepiece, crazy boy! That scope has not been adapted to the regular 1.25-inch eyepieces too and I much prefer it to the SW130 regardless a slightly smaller mirror, its just more stable. I did eventually strip the TAL-M down and refurb it so it looks almost new now too. The SW130 barely sees the light nowadays tho, sadly, too much kit between it and the door being one reason lol.

For what its worth tho I prefer the Frac views, even the cheap LT70 is actually pretty good and while that's here its the grab & go for quick sessions as its very light and easy. Is why I'd happily recommend it (or the 80 version) for the starsense and ease of use at low entry cost. As a newb myself back then, finding stuff that wasn't obvious was a drag esp when tired eyes after a long workday were struggling, so I quickly dropped to moon and planets. Now having bought several scope (and made a little TAL collection 🙄) I wasn't going to give up completely as the planets are fun to look at, but I might have if Starsense hadn't come along. As several others have said, its a game changer esp for those new to this lark. Much easier to set up quickly and use compared to the SynScan GoTo and no power requirements to drive it so no hidden costs once you have the scope in your mitts, well other than usual  eyepieces, diagonal, barlow.... 😉 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

"Did you mean all but one was bought used there Steve?"

Whoops, yes.  Thanks Dave, I'll correct it.

kinda figured as I remember us all leaping in and buying up all the LT70 starsense scopes back in the covid lockdown period 😉 

It's the only one I've bought new too, same reason.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Not bad eh @Dave59, you started this thread 24 hrs ago- 95 replies and over 1k views! Very well done...

What's the next pandoras box you intend to open? "Tell us what you think of your current mounts (I might get very self opinionated ova dem apples)", "Meade VS Celestron", "Present your backyard", "Are Questars and Astro Physics scopes worth the loot" or maybe go BIG time and a lovely thread, "Is Imaging anything more than glorified use of Photoshop".... 🙂 

• Haha 1

I have bought all my scopes new. I started with a SW 127 Mak go to, then a SL 8” dobsonian and a SW Evostar 120/1000. Lastly my recent addition of the Starfield 102ED. I am also starting to collect binoculars, them being, Pentax WP S 20x60, Opticron Oregon 15x70 and my only optical used buy was a pair of Tasco(Japan) great condition 8x40’s. The reason for this was before buying my new 127 I actually bought a used one from Facebook, which looked great. When I received the scope the primary was badly damaged from mold and water damage. I tried to contact the seller, but in vain. Of course buying a used scope from SGL is a great deal safer than Facebook. Once bitten thrice shy.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

safer than Facebook

^^ There ain't anything safe about Farcebook @bosun21. I steer as clear of Twerper and FB as I would a Dynamax SCT. Maybe you are rich or fussy thus buy new, maybe both 🙂 ! Maybe I am simply lucky as have never had any probs with used gear... It all comes down to personal choice?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

^^ There ain't anything safe about Farcebook @bosun21. I steer as clear of Twerper and FB as I would a Dynamax SCT. Maybe you are rich or fussy thus buy new, maybe both 🙂 ! Maybe I am simply lucky as have never had any probs with used gear... It all comes down to personal choice?

I am definitely not rich, and not overly fussy, but I should have stayed clear of Fakebook. If I’m anything it’s probably impatient. 

• Like 2