Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 1396 - Elephants Trunk

Tim

I posted a 'rough' of this a couple of weeks ago, but have only just gotten around to looking at it again.

I know its very early for these summer targets, but it is one of my favourites, and well, you know.......

Imaging = GSO 8" Newt with QHY8 + MPCC

Guiding = PHD + Meade DSI Pro + TS OAG

Mount = EQ6 Pro

Processing = DSS, PS + Noels Tools, Registar

Subs = 35 x 400 sec Lights, 25 x Bias, 35 x Flat, 10 x Darks

Seeing average, target fairly low in the sky and LP from city centre.

Can anybody who has seen this visually confirm how many stars go towards making the bright star at the top of the image, I think there is at least three in there.

Here is the full size version, although reduced to 8bit quality.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.squeegee/Ellys-Trunk.jpg

Thanks for looking,

TJ

post-14037-133877362061_thumb.jpg

Realy nice TJ, i only dream of taking images like these

Stick around Greenkat, you'll soon be taking images much better than this one i'm sure. There really isnt too much to it, once you have the basics mastered, which seem a bit daunting, then it's just practice that helps. If you need any specific help with anything in the meantime, please feel free to ask, we'll all be glad to help.

:)

It's actually quite good chasing targets out of season.. Just means your up all night till dawn...

You do need a decent "easterly" horizon and its actually my least Light polluted direction. I just have one problematic set of power and telephone cables that lose me an hours worth of time...

Billy...

How are you finding the GSO.

I just look in the garden and there it is???? :)

Oh I see what you mean.

I really like the speed and colour gathering ability of the tube. If I could afford it, i'd buy the same aperture/speed ota with a higher quality of fitting, but for a 400 quid tube it doesn't do badly at all.

Peter, I have exactly the same with wires and guff in the way, but the east is my only horizon really, shame it is also the most light polluted. This target will be a whole lot more vivid once it climbs out of the murk before dawn. You and I should get some extra sleep soon, I'm finding this week that anything after 04:30 is no good now.

Lovely Tim - thats right down behind the trees until at least 4am for me at the moment :)

Glad your enjoying the GSO - I've yet to get mine working properly - the jury is still out as far as I am concerned - just hope I can get it sorted!

Cheers,

Richie

Archived