Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unistellar eVscope 2 Digital Telescope

Having recently used one at a star party, I can confirm that it's an great piece of kit! I preferred this one with the 'eyepiece' rather than the other model that requires a tablet or phone to display the view, but some others liked the latter. Takes only minutes to set up.

It's amazing to see the view appear before eyes. It was telling when a non-astro person had a look (at M51) and stated, "Now THIS is what I was expecting!"

Don't have the spare cash myself, unfortunately! But for outreach, this is fantastic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

Having recently used one at a star party, I can confirm that it's an great piece of kit! I preferred this one with the 'eyepiece' rather than the other model that requires a tablet or phone to display the view, but some others liked the latter. Takes only minutes to set up.

It's amazing to see the view appear before eyes. It was telling when a non-astro person had a look (at M51) and stated, "Now THIS is what I was expecting!"

Don't have the spare cash myself, unfortunately! But for outreach, this is fantastic.

It would be absolutely spectacular for outreach - I wish we had one for school. Unfortunately the price puts it well outside our league.   

Jim 

54 minutes ago, saac said:

It would be absolutely spectacular for outreach - I wish we had one for school. Unfortunately the price puts it well outside our league.   

Jim 

DIY version would be much much cheaper.

I already started a thread to discuss this approach - telescope for stacking + display and optics to recreate visual experience.

I tested idea with my mobile phone, simple lens and eyepiece. Works fine if configured properly.

Camera like ASI183mc paired with appropriate telescope (does not need to be high end - just needs to be matched in resolution to be able to show different objects / scales) can serve as potent stacking platform.

23 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

DIY version would be much much cheaper.

I already started a thread to discuss this approach - telescope for stacking + display and optics to recreate visual experience.

I tested idea with my mobile phone, simple lens and eyepiece. Works fine if configured properly.

Camera like ASI183mc paired with appropriate telescope (does not need to be high end - just needs to be matched in resolution to be able to show different objects / scales) can serve as potent stacking platform.

Absolutely vlaiv , I agree - I remember reading your thread on this.  The trouble is for something like outreach with school age kids you have one chance of engaging them.  It has to work first time without any hesitation and minimum setup effort - this is after all the successor of the plug and play generation !   You would also be surprised how many science teachers are less than comfortable with practical tasks such as setting up a telescope rig !  As much as I am a fan of the likes of the EV Scope and Stellina concept I do think they have set their price point way too high - they have excluded themselves from a significant market.  These are toys for the very comfortably well off and corporate organisations.  I mean we are talking about the price of a small second hand car here for what is a generalist piece of astro gear !

Jim 

Edited by saac

The Astronomer Royal for Scotland (the fab Prof Catherine Heymans) is trying to get some kind of outreach telescope installed in all the Scottish outdoor centres used by primary schools. Most year 7 kids get a weekend away in such centres  - mostly all in dark sky areas. Just imagine if this kind of kit was available!

I was really sceptical about these things until I used one. The price will come down, I'm sure. Once SVBony get in on the act!

• Like 1