Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M65 - M66

RichieJarvis

Great scale and data Richie....glad you have clear skies, we do too :)

I reckon with a bit more time on the processing you can get the backgound noise down, and stretch the galaxies without the stars getting too big and it'll be fantastic.

Cheers

Rob

Nice capture Richie, there's some nice detail in those galaxies.

As John says, Noise Ninja would clean up that noise very nicely.

Its on my 'shopping list', but I'm waiting for some sort of sensible £/$ exchange rate to return before I buy it. I downloade the 'trial version', and was ver y impressed.

Dave

Thanks Guys... And don't worry Rog - I'll forgive you! Its not been the first time, and I am sure it won't be the last :mad:

I should have mentioned that this was just a quick throw and process job last night whilst I packed up, so I intend to revisit this image and see if I can't get the sweet spot right between noise and detail.

I've had a look at Noise Ninja - thats quite a nice piece of software.

I intend to have a little play with the raw data again tonight to see if I can improve it, and I might just splash out on NN as well :)

I also neglected to mention that this is the first time I've put the Celestron 0.66 Focal Reducer inline on the AstroPro 102ED, and I can say I am REALLY impressed with how well it performed. Looking at the results from Astrometry.net though, I don't think it gave a 0.66 amount of FR, as that should have made the FoV 71.4 x 53.3 arcmins with the AP102ED. The Astrometry data is here:

<quote>

Hello, this is the blind astrometry solver. Your results are:

(RA, Dec) center:(169.899990033, 13.0914296096) degrees

(RA, Dec) center (H:M:S, D:M:S):(11:19:35.998, +13:05:29.147)

Orientation:-85.73 deg E of N

Pixel scale:3.18 arcsec/pixel

Parity:Normal ("Right-handed")

Field size :54.24 x 40.52 arcminutes

Your field contains:

NGC 3623 / M 65

NGC 3627 / M 66

</quote>

As you can see, the FoV is not what I expected, but is approximately the values I would have expected for a 0.8 FR (53.5 x 40 arcmins) - I therefore assume that the 0.66 FR is actually acting as a 0.8 FR when combined with the AP102 - do my assumptions make sense here???

I'll post the final here once its completed :)

Thanks,

Richie

Great shot Rich. Really like that one.

Noise Ninja i'm sure is great. However, Greycstoration (google it) does an equivalent job, and is free.

But even the best of NR software will degrade the image somewhat, so as you say, a bit more time might well keep that noise down anyways. There seems to be a fair bit in the green channel, I find in PS that using REPLACE COLOUR, and then selecting that colour of noise which is a problem, then decreasing its saturation and lightness really helps to lessen the impact of the noise on the eye, and makes the need for NR software much reduced, and it can be used sparingly and less aggressively. Pretty sure you know all that though m8 :)

Cheers

Tim

Archived