Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics - puts U.K engineering to shame

All my dealings with OO have been excellent.

Before going down the court route surely try once more to resolve things maybe involving another third party with experience to try to find a solution that is acceptable to both parties.

Mark

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

All my dealings with OO have been excellent.

Before going down the court route surely try once more to resolve things maybe involving another third party with experience to try to find a solution that is acceptable to both parties.

Mark

Hi Mark yes of course legal action is always the last resort who wants that headache. The fact the company have stopped replying to my emails … what can I do??

Peter Shah who has had some influence on OO will look at the scope at some point. 

I have asked for a part refund on the scope  (and they can keep it) however I don’t think that will happen 

Given Orion Optic’s USP appears to be that they offer exquisitely engineered telescopes with outstanding optics, I do hope they read this thread and address your concerns.

I bought a scope off them way back in 1990, I wasn’t impressed with the engineering. I don’t know if the optics were any good, because I could never collimate the darn thing properly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomato said:

Given Orion Optic’s USP appears to be that they offer exquisitely engineered telescopes with outstanding optics, I do hope they read this thread and address your concerns.

I bought a scope off them way back in 1990, I wasn’t impressed with the engineering. I don’t know if the optics were any good, because I could never collimate the darn thing properly.

In days I heard the zygo reports were filled with lies and that the company got struck off a national astronomy show hosted each year, can’t recall which one…. Could just be rumour mill. 

the optics are generally good, it’s the mechanics that let them down followed by rude customer service with no communications skills. 

I had one of the original 'maroon' OMC-140s with ⅛ PV optics. The optics were great but the focuser was dire with ¾ of a turn required for it to engage either way.

On collecting it from the factory for a second time, Barry Pemberton was extremely rude to me. That will be my last encounter with him and OO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I had one of the original 'maroon' OMC-140s with ⅛ PV optics. The optics were great but the focuser was dire with ¾ of a turn required for it to engage either way.

On collecting it from the factory for a second time, Barry Pemberton was extremely rude to me. That will be my last encounter with him and OO.

Actually I think it's John Pemberton the proprietor I was dealing with. When I phoned to check on the progress of the repair I started by saying that I was calling about my 130PDS, he immediately cut in to remind me that they don't sell anything so cheap! Probably one of the rudest people I have ever dealt with. When I complained about the results of their "expert" collimation and the inability to focus on anything he said it was a manufacturing fault and that I should contact Skywatcher.

Which brings me to the question, are there any professional telescope engineers in the UK at all?

• Like 2