Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally, a Dark Sky Workout with the 300p SW dob and 15x70s binoculars

Hi all,

Apologies for not being on here much lately, I've had no end of problems on the home front combined with so-so weather, but things seem to be getting better and finally got it in gear tonight. I headed for the Cairngorms and the weather played along. An excellent night!

This is the first time I've really given the 300p Flextube dob a workout at my fav spot, aka 'Dark Sky Alpha' ;) and wanted to see how it stacked up against the mighty Stargate 500p which stayed at home as the van is in for an MOT.  

Arrived late afternoon, plenty of time to set up and watch it slowly turn from a brilliant deep blue sky to night... and no clouds!! The Milky Way stretched from horizon to horizon.

The Observing:

It's very late here (nearly 3am) so I'll cut to the chase:

Best SQM-L reading tonight was 21.81, I'll take it! :) 

Temp: down to -7.4C, before rising early morning to -4 or -5C. In other words, a wee bit nippy, but at least there was only the slightest of breezes. Lots of well-insulated clothing on, no probs.

Once my eyes were fully dark adapted, I went for the Horsehead using the following: budget 25mm and 32mm Revelation plossls and Astronomik Hb filter, then 13mm XWA. The 32mm provided the most 'pop' even over the 25mm, which tells me my exit pupil was around 6.4mm, or at least larger than 5mm.  The Horsehead was directly observable with the 25mm and especially the 32mm, dare I say almost easy, and faint but observable with the 13mm. Actually pretty impressive views of the Horsey with a 12" scope, especially considering how low in the sky Orion was.

After the Horsehead, I was all over the place visiting the usual suspects, the Flame Nebula, M42 (nice!), Rosette, Flaming Star Nebula and friends in Auriga, over to Andromeda and M110, (M32 was hiding from me), Triangulum M33, Pleiades, M108, M97 Owl Nebula, M51, M101, then into Leo and the Leo Triplet, up to NGCs 3681,84,86 and a few others, then down to M105 & Co. A lot of galaxies in and around Leo, I love this constellation because the galaxies here are generally really easy to find without GOTO. 

Feeling a bit bold, I spent a lot of time, probably 30-40 minutes, trying for Copeland's Septet. I think I picked up some of these faint fuzzies with averted vision, but I won't call it a hit. Fairly sure I was in the right spot. Oh well. Seemed to be a lot of bright stars right around where they should have been.

Anyway, then over to Coma Berenices/Virgo and absolute tons of galaxies around Markarian's Chain, though rather faint in comparison to the 20" dob. Quite a few observed, though I didn't count. Galaxies are where the 20" really pulls away from the 12", with the 20" they are just right there hanging in the sky, but fairly subdued with the 12". Still, I like the wider FOV of the 12" especially for larger nebula, and it's a great all-around DSO scope which is still fairly affordable, portable and definitely lightening fast to set up and start using (non-GOTO).

Binocular time!

The dob mirrors quickly frosted up around 12:30am, so packed things away and broke out the 15x70 Apollos with a TV Nebustar filter on one side and Astronomik OIII on the other. I love filtered binoculars under dark skies!

The Rosette was fabulous and got a nice shot at the Flaming Star in Auriga, even bagged M1 Crab Nebula (!), faint but directly observable. I then decided to take the filters off and go for galaxies. Andromeda was decent, but very low by this point, things were a bit hazy from atmosphere. 

Moving up to cleaner sky, I had excellent binocular views of M51 and M101 and the Leo Triplet. NGC 3628 was quite faint, but M65-6 were right there, no problems! With 15x70s! Binoculars never cease to amaze me. I love scanning around with them, so easy. No tripod, when arms get a bit tired I pop my elbows on the car and keep going. Total freedom. 

I was having a blast and there was a lot more to see, but getting a bit weary by this point, so I reluctantly packed the bins away and headed home. 

The 12" is a great all-around scope, really nice impressive views of the Horsehead, but a bit short in the galaxy department after getting used to the 20" of course, but still a lot of 'bang for the buck' as they say, can't go wrong with the trusty 300p. The binoculars, well, they are simply impressive under dark skies. Even when just scanning, it's like looking at an endless star cluster, thousands upon thousands of stars when panning across the sky, absolutely love it.  

Hoping to get the 20" back out soon and hoover up some more galaxies before spring gets here. Happy stargazing all 👍

PS face masks are a great field-expedient method for quickly covering up your Telrad or EP to keep frost off. Hey, I lost my cap in the car and it was handy. Classy eh? 😁

IMG_20220301_224035875_2.jpg

IMG_20220301_184650220.jpg

IMG_20220301_184703814.jpg

IMG_20220301_233657490.jpg

IMG_20220302_005525407.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

• Ships and Stars changed the title to Finally, a Dark Sky Workout with the 300p SW dob and 15x70s binoculars
3 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Nice report! looks like you've had some cold temps but managed to catch many faint fuzzies while keeping the dob safe from Covid! 👍

Not quite Canadian cold, but cold enough! I reached into my coat pocket to get my eyepiece cap, and only had a mask, but works really well, especially on the Telrad! As you say, Covid-safe dob, hahaha....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Nice report in the freezing cold! I can't imagine -7C 😨. I like the Covid mask hack😂. Clear skies mate!

Lots of coffee and layers! I wore heavy weight wool thermals with an insulated drysuit divers undersuit over that, basically insulated coveralls, but not so baggy, then a down parka, a balaclava and over that, a fleece hood. Was without gloves most of the night, but would pop hands in pockets when not adjusting things. 

Although I'm sick (no pun intended) of seeing COVID masks, they are handy for keeping frost off the finderscope, telrad or eyepiece! A sign of the times...

Hoping to get out again soon. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

An epic session - and that's dedication at -7C in the middle of nowhere.  Good idea on the drysuit undersuit - you can also get them electrically powered (a bit like electric blankets) if you want.

Ah thanks, this is a great spot, very, very little traffic, maybe three cars from 8-10pm and none after that. No houses or lights visible, except glow from Aberdeen and Dundee some 60 miles away.  Wide open 360deg views of the sky and quite dark.

The undersuit works really well, they can be had second hand online for not a lot. I have insulated coveralls but they are bulky and snag on lots of things. The heavy wool thermals make a big difference as well.

I hated to leave, the conditions were perfect, very little wind, though was thinking 20C would be an improvement (!) as long as the humidity was low.

It's an hour and twenty to this spot, but it's safe, can see cars coming a good quarter to half mile before they reach me and there's no one on foot, all open moorland/glen. I envy the nearest house. Hoping to take the 20" out Saturday, the days are getting longer in a hurry and by mid April DSOs get harder to see. 

Have fun!

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 2

Sounds like a not-dissimilar session to mine a couple of nights ago, also with a 12”. Though Orion from now is too low in my worst direction (over Baltimore harbour) for any chance of the HH, which I still haven’t seen.

Nice to have you back, I’m going up steal the face mask trick I think. I have a few cloth/silk ones that’ll do very nicely.

Magnus

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Sounds like a not-dissimilar session to mine a couple of nights ago, also with a 12”. Though Orion from now is too low in my worst direction (over Baltimore harbour) for any chance of the HH, which I still haven’t seen.

Nice to have you back, I’m going up steal the face mask trick I think. I have a few cloth/silk ones that’ll do very nicely.

Magnus

Hi there, glad to be back. The HH is definitely within reach of a 12" dob with a 25mm or so eyepiece and Hb filter. I think the brightest sky conditions were a 20.8sqm, but I'd aim for 21.5, basically get to a nice dark spot. A 12" dob is very capable. Hoping to have a few more galaxy sessions before summer, though I'm missing that too!

• Like 1

Well I have a decent Hb filter, and the next 2-3 nights' forecast may be clear enough to offer an opportunity just after astro-dark/Moonset before Orion has got too far round West. It'll probably be my last chance for HH this year. My house is basically 21.8 so no darkness excuses!

• Like 2

Nice report. You made me laugh describing mag 21.81 as ‘quite dark’ 🤣🤣 Most of us can only dream of that sort of darkness! You are motivating me to get the 16” somewhere very soon to catch some of those galaxies. Heading south from here for 10 or 15 mins it is quite a lot darker so well worth a try.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Well I have a decent Hb filter, and the next 2-3 nights' forecast may be clear enough to offer an opportunity just after astro-dark/Moonset before Orion has got too far round West. It'll probably be my last chance for HH this year. My house is basically 21.8 so no darkness excuses!

Orion is highest in the sky around 7:20pm, so from then until maybe 8:45 or 9pm probably best time. Maybe study ap pics of the HH location in relation to the stars around it so you know right where to concentrate. It's tricky at first, very faint, but once you have seen it, it becomes easier and easier. Nice dark skies by the way!! I wish I had them at home, but an hour isn't too bad a drive I suppose... :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice report. You made me laugh describing mag 21.81 as ‘quite dark’ 🤣🤣 Most of us can only dream of that sort of darkness! You are motivating me to get the 16” somewhere very soon to catch some of those galaxies. Heading south from here for 10 or 15 mins it is quite a lot darker so well worth a try.

I lived in the Midlands for many years, only out near Edale or the Peak District would it be dark enough from my recollection. I wish I had 21.5 or darker at home, I'm recently divorced so immediately thought about moving to someplace remote here, but would miss being able to visit my children on short notice! Still, if I move, it will definitely be rural! It's nice to dream :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ships and Stars said:

I lived in the Midlands for many years, only out near Edale or the Peak District would it be dark enough from my recollection. I wish I had 21.5 or darker at home, I'm recently divorced so immediately thought about moving to someplace remote here, but would miss being able to visit my children on short notice! Still, if I move, it will definitely be rural! It's nice to dream :)

Glad the scopes survived the divorce! 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess the only thing to worry about up the hill are yetis?!

Maybe I need to find a mask that deals with the frosty breath issue. My bino face shield did quite well earlier in the year.

Our luck, we get solid cloud and @Captain Scarlet gets clear skies!

Peter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stu said:

Glad the scopes survived the divorce! 👍

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

I guess the only thing to worry about up the hill are yetis?!

Maybe I need to find a mask that deals with the frosty breath issue. My bino face shield did quite well earlier in the year.

Our luck, we get solid cloud and @Captain Scarlet gets clear skies!

Peter

12 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

WelL it seems I have a bit of a clear-sky no-moon surplus going on at the moment 😄. So much so that tonight I’m too tired I just CBA 🤣

Hanging onto the scopes for now! Really want to keep the 20" but it's a struggle. I'll find a way, because I'll never be able to afford to replace it. Glad I bought it when I did.

No yetis, would love to see one. Surely they have an appreciation for dark rural skies, we might strike up a friendship :)

Looking clear tonight and tomorrow, van is in for MOT in an hour, I hope it passes, becuase I'm desperate to take the 20" out tonight.

The 20" will fit in my car, as long as I completely remove the rear seats (yes, I've done this before!). It's a lot of work, depends on how motivated I am.

Would just be easier if the old van passes the MOT this morning, plus it has a diesel heater and a table, perfect to warm up and check star charts. Fingers crossed ✌️

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/03/2022 at 17:14, Stardaze said:

Always enjoy reading your reports, highly motivational. Still desperate to take my small dob for a drive soon...

Thank you! I get in a bit of a rut, not going out, but then I have a great night and it makes it all worthwhile.

On 06/03/2022 at 16:55, Captain Scarlet said:

Did the van pass? 🤞

Yes sir it did! Got mildly told off for a bit of surface rust on the discs, but it's been sitting a lot lately. One less thing to worry about for awhile :)

• Like 1

Wow brilliant read loads of objects there I would love to see through my scope, on the cold front I would have my fingers and toes dropping off at those temperatures, I have just bought some insulated boots and I wear heat holder socks it says they are 3.2 tog but even -1 my feet are cold.

Thankyou for the post really enjoyed it.