Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new self build - plastic Correx Observatory

powerlord

well - it's still there !! So I reckon that's the challenge of all challenges there - I think last night was the windiest I ever remeber it being in Ipswich.

I reckon the bit of movement was due to the fact, I had the duct/fan on - so air can get in/out, plus the seal between roof and walls is not perfect - I'll work on that a bit today as it will help the humidifier work better too. With a better seal, you have the air pressure as a resistance to any wind acting as a great strengthener.

Lots to do today. aim still to be at the point that I can put mounts in tomorrow. not finished then - just next step - need to then make up cables correct lengths, etc - but still possible I could be ready for first light by weekend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

well - it's still there !! So I reckon that's the challenge of all challenges there - I think last night was the windiest I ever remeber it being in Ipswich.

I hope so, have you seen the forecast for tomorrow? 

Windy.com has two forecast models for the Ipswich area giving sustained winds from the Southwest of around 50 mph and gusts up to 80 mph from 12:00! 😱

This is the sort of weather we expect up here, but not not down with you, so keep an eye on it and I hope the forecasts are wrong! 

yeh i know. it was forecast for 95 earlier in week. but yup - will be working on tomorow so will be inside mostly.

which I dunno about you - but I love being in something like a tent or my motorhome when its blowing a gale/raining - it feels nice being all secure and warm.

Not quite at the 'secure' bit of that with the obsy yet - but i reckon it either through amazing engineering or luck* it'll be fine.

*definately luck

• Like 3

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

which I dunno about you - but I love being in something like a tent or my motorhome when its blowing a gale/raining - it feels nice being all secure and warm.

16 years living in the Outer Hebrides sort of dulls that feeling, especially when you get the same experience sat on the sofa in your lounge! 🤣

We had a storm up there on the 17th January 2009 when my anemometer topped out at 85 knots (98 mph). It was relentless for a few hours but it was surprising how quiet it got when the wind dropped to 64 knots (74 mph or Hurricane Force on Beaufort Scale)! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

Wouldn't a cord/ bungee secured at the middle of the fiberglass rod spider at one end and a sandbag/ bucket full of bricks on the floor of the obsy help to prevent that fly away feeling?

Maybe but it's the rim that will lift if anything. With clamps on the roof it really can't move.

Thanks Lee. I'm not sure about the beautiful bit, but still pleased how it's turned out. Forecast now say 75-80mph tomorrow. So that'll be fun.

Does look clear tomorrow night, but still 35-40. Don't think I'll chance taking roof off and leaving off in that.. So first light will have to wait a bit.

I reckon I'll try connecting everything to nina and the new yoga lappy and having a play Friday just too see what it's like, with roof on and heater on !

Stu

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Thanks Lee. I'm not sure about the beautiful bit, but still pleased how it's turned out. Forecast now say 75-80mph tomorrow. So that'll be fun.

Does look clear tomorrow night, but still 35-40. Don't think I'll chance taking roof off and leaving off in that.. So first light will have to wait a bit.

I reckon I'll try connecting everything to nina and the new yoga lappy and having a play Friday just too see what it's like, with roof on and heater on !

Stu

Yep best bet to get everything connected and talking to each other, hopefully first light won't be long off for you, be prtoud of your effort and ingenuity its a great bespoke build 👍

• Like 1

Unlike my house - 3 large curved edged tiles already departed and landed on the grass. One dislodged, but still sitting on roof precariously - just moved my car from potential flight trajectory...builder should have used duct tape, correx and hot glue. fools.

stu

• Sad 2

Final wee touches today. I've made up some scenes and Alexa routines, so can now get alexa to 'turn stars* on/off'. This disarms/arms security system, turns lights on/off, and turns main scope power on/off.

Tbh its the first useful thing I've found to do with iot on/off stuff!

Next thing,  backup asiair cards then root them and modify samba shares to usb to have write access. Then I'll have no need to take usb stick out or use asiair to delete files. Surprised no one else has done that tbh, but can't find any info on it,  so suspect I'll be the first.

Tue looking good for first light 🤞

*I had to change from observatory as Alexa kept thinking I was saying conservatory. Racist ai. Humph(im Scottish)

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Final wee touches today. I've made up some scenes and Alexa routines, so can now get alexa to 'turn stars* on/off'. This disarms/arms security system, turns lights on/off, and turns main scope power on/off.

Tbh its the first useful thing I've found to do with iot on/off stuff!

Next thing,  backup asiair cards then root them and modify samba shares to usb to have write access. Then I'll have no need to take usb stick out or use asiair to delete files. Surprised no one else has done that tbh, but can't find any info on it,  so suspect I'll be the first.

Tue looking good for first light 🤞

*I had to change from observatory as Alexa kept thinking I was saying conservatory. Racist ai. Humph(im Scottish)

All good…nice set up there….👍🏼

You may be the first to do that on the ASIair, but it’s been done for a long time on Stellarmate and Astroberry systems, which are the same but much cheaper than the ASI version, and work with all makes of cameras…👍🏼

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

Brilliant to see your obsy ready to go in your video yesterday. Whilst watching everytime you told your alexa to do something in your obsy, you kept waking up my alexa haha, good luck for Tuesday hopefully and look forward to your results 👍

yeh i reckon removing or fitting roof is not a good idea if windy. take tonight for example, against forecast I can see stars. but far too windy. it's all a compromise but its not very windy here usually tbh - current chain-storms aside.

tbh its not so much putting on or removing as what to do with it when off if windy - it's too big to put in conservatory, etc. So it has to be calm enough it can be left in garden.

I need to sort out a sort of 'weight bag' I can put on top if the centre when upside down on grass - something not too concentrated.. just in case it gets windier during night like you say. maybe just a bit of 2 foot x 2 foot or so of 1/2in plywood actually - that'd work.

other option is I work out a way it can sit on grass right way up. then wind is fine provided it doesn't get underneath it - but that bit I can't think of a great foolproof mechanism for at present.

Good to see a novel design, following with interest. I wonder if at any stage you had thought about the possibility of having a hatch in the roof and just rotate it akin to a conventional dome in operation.  That would get away from having to remove the roof and secure it while in use. I guess the challenge would be to make the cut out and hatch watertight.  Anyway here's to first light in your new obsy, you will certainly notice a huge difference now you can have a permeant setup. All the best with it.

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1