Narrowband

My new self build - plastic Correx Observatory

powerlord

Started a thread here:

Now that it has progressed to the stage of 'IT WORKs!!!!' - I'll continue the build thread here. Read the above thread for up to now.

This week was about stengthening the sides with thick fibreglass poles, even though it had already stood up to 50mph winds and torrential rain, I figured it wouldn't hurt:

IMG_20220210_125402.thumb.jpg.1461479c53f03547539b016de2333b0d.jpg

After that I had to wait for lighter fibreglass rods I had ordered to arrive - these were to provide struts into the roof to keep the roof taught - which also helps it stop flapping in the wind, and I hoped would make it easier to take the roof on and off, with the rods giving the roof a stabler cone shape:

IMG_20220210_125417.thumb.jpg.2a5922746b39ba1d1de79dabbe65bf00.jpg

IMG_20220210_125423.thumb.jpg.389f68a39af6329228707659aaa21949.jpg

IMG_20220210_125429.thumb.jpg.4aa11828423940de13521c18dad67e80.jpg

I designed and printed the central hub and spoke holders, and all these are hot glued together.

Then, for the first time I was at the stage where I felt I could try and remove and replace the roof. Up until now it's been a project based on hope really. I had to build it this far before I'd really know IF the roof was going to be able to come off and on easily.

Well.. I'm chuffed - here's the very first lift off (videoed just in case it was the LAST lift off!):

So now, I know it is all going to work!! This is the real milestone compeleted. I can now furnish the inside.

Here I will be placing 2 sets of steel shelfs, a custom build PSU (12v and 5v) to feed everything, and 2 EQ6s, with a 3rd EQ5 or azgti sometimes. It has power, already. I will be adding ethernet.

There is plenty room inside also for a stool and desk (prob use one of shelfs) for a laptop for planetary/lunar stuff when I need to be out there.

Building wise, I am waiting on a ducted air port which will be installed in the front top wall of the roof. At the rear will be going a fan duct blowing air out. Since it is otherwise airtight effectively, this will suck air in the top, and out the bottom. It will be on 24/7. This will keep the air circulating inside and should keep the humidity down. In times where the humidity is high, I will be installing a heater. With this on, and the fan off, hot air will heat the interior, exiting at the top, and drying the slabs, air.

All power is smart. so fan, heater, PSU can all be controlled remotely via IFTTT/Amazon.

I should be able to get all that stuff done in the next week or so.

I'll keep updating this post as I go.

• Like 12

Looks good, just one point, have you thought about lifting it on and off when you have the scope inside, presumably in the middle somewhere, or will you move the scope to one side for the roof lift?

Of course I might be wide of the mark if the scope was inside when you made the video, but that’s the only concern I can identify.

yeh, no - scopes are east  and west (it's 8" circle. middle is free, so no bother there.

I do need to work out the best 'knack'. I think lying it on the top roof is best when off, though does mean it will get dewy during the night. will have to play that by ear.

• Like 1

when roof is off you mean ? I'm not gonna be imaging them I'd imagine.

With it on, it's rock solid - as I say - it's already been through 50mph winds and was no bother at all.

IF it was mildly windy and I was imaging, I'll just pop something on top of the roof when it's off to keep it on the grass.

stu

This is the PSU. Basically it's a decent quality 600w PC CPU. It can provide more amps than I'll ever need in very clean 12v, 5v and 3.3v (not needed).

As you can see, it's being stripped down, and the labelled. I have 3pin aviation GX20 connectors ordered. 3 of those sockets will be installed in the PSU, along with insect mesh across the fan and fan inputs. the pins will be GND, +12v, +5v. The 5v is for my dew heaters, most of which are 5v USB - but full on they use about 2amps, so it's best not to plug them into USB sockets - and anyway, they are best used for actual USB stuff.

I will be connecting to power resisters across the 5v and 12v line just to give the PSU a decent base load to balance against - this helps smooth and stablise the 12v and 5v lines. these will be screw mounted (and thermal pasted) to the bottom of one of the shelves too (shelves are galvanised steel).

The PSU will be installed under a shelf of the ikea HYLLIS shelf I've bough (screw onto), providing extra protection from dew, etc.

I'll be making up 14AWG 3 core cables with quality silicone cable and GX20s both ends to feed power to each of the 3 mounts.

At the mount I am making a small breakout box, which take the GX20 in, and surfaces 3 2.1mm 12v sockets, and 3 phono sockets. Im using phono sockets for the 5v, and phono plugs will be attached to the dew heaters.

This allows me to have the mount fed direct, and the asiair fed direct, and the camera fed direct, which I prefer to everything going through the asiair.

The PSU itself will be plugged into a smart plug so that it can be controlled remotely.

IMG_20220209_181734.thumb.jpg.14d3890ec91fcdc7265c6fd82dbf8512.jpgIMG_20220209_181726.thumb.jpg.1cdbed2c6e88f3a18f290ea8e7efd618.jpgIMG_20220209_180935.thumb.jpg.61699328976bcea00e7ef795fe2509d4.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/02/2022 at 15:38, powerlord said:

Here's the power supply finished and fitted into steel shelf. 3 outputs, each providing 12v and 5v. Power resistors providing base load for stability and a little bit of heat too, with shelf acting as heat sink.

IMG_20220212_153520.jpg

IMG_20220212_153532.jpg

Looking fab, it's amazing to see the progress just from starting last week, can't wait for the first light video 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee

On 12/02/2022 at 15:38, powerlord said:

Here's the power supply finished and fitted into steel shelf. 3 outputs, each providing 12v and 5v. Power resistors providing base load for stability and a little bit of heat too, with shelf acting as heat sink.

IMG_20220212_153520.jpg

IMG_20220212_153532.jpg

IMG_20220212_153536.jpg

Now THAT is very tidy! Cracking bit of work.

• Like 1

it was the Blue Oyster Bar wasn't it ? (Police Academy)

😀

I see on friday, the forecast is for 76mph winds...I fear even my amazingly robust plaservatory might need watching that day...

Screenshot_20220214_143401_org.mozilla.firefox.thumb.jpg.bdaafe21aa4b828545f453fd789682be.jpg

Edited by powerlord

3 minutes ago, powerlord said:

😀

I see on friday, the forecast is for 76mph winds...I fear even my amazingly robust plaservatory might need watching that day...

Screenshot_20220214_143401_org.mozilla.firefox.thumb.jpg.bdaafe21aa4b828545f453fd789682be.jpg

Good luck in those gusts! I can see you now, spread eagled on the roof shouting and shaking a fist at the wind! 

• Haha 1

Ingenious concept, but I think I'll stick to traditional wooden roll off roof design.  It may withstand some high winds, but if we get a heavy snow fall one winter I wouldn't hold up much hope of it not collapsing.

• Like 1

It's domed roof now, and correx is very slippy so I doubt any snow would stick tbh. But we're lucky if we get one decent snow fall in Suffolk so I admit it won't be tested much.

Today I fitted extractor fan, inlet duct and my shelf/desk/psu. Amazingly I'm gonna have room for a cosy desk in there and seat, as well as the 2 mounts.

Im now working on the power distribution boxes and asiair mounts - I've decided to mount the asiair on the mount over the polar scope mount (don't use). This is a compromise between on the ota where less wires twisting but need to faff with moving asiair when change otas, and mounting off mount when lots get twisted. I've designed and printed 3d plug mounts that will basically 'plug in' the power distribution box and asiair to the polar scope hole.

Led dimming light strip ordered also. I've got a fan heater in three now, just drying the slabs out a bit as I built it when slabs have not had a good dry out between rain. Hoping once dry and the ground under dry, they'll stay dry. If not can always seal them.

So, lots to do yet, and I want to at least get lights fitted and it dried out a bit before I put the mounts in.

I've also still got 20m of ethernet cable to lay/Bury to reach it.. So lots still to do, but getting there!

Stu

8 hours ago, powerlord said:

😀

Think I'd be investing in a ratchet strap or two by Friday....😱

No new pics - but just an update.

buried power cables today, and fitted a hub in conservatory, and drilled hole in wall then layed in a new ethernet cable to the obsy and buried that under grass too.

So permanent power now there. hub fitted in obsy. Just need to make up RJ45 end connectors to finish the ethernet side of things.

I've fitted a sonofh th16 power, temp and humidity iot device. this gives me real time and historic data on temp and humidity in there, and lets me either use that data to control other smart stuff in there, or control it's own plug.

I've bought a small 'smart' wifi dessicant dehumidifier (https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/desd8lw/electriq-desd8lw-dehumidifier-dehumidifier)

Dessicants are good because they work in very low temperatures - I have one I use in the garage and occasionally the motorhome.

Being 'smart' this one can join the other smart devices and either have a plan to itself, going on when humidity high, or I might fiddle something up together with the other iot stuff out there.

My general plan now is, that since it's actually pretty sealed and non-porous it's very easy to keep the humidty low, so I will block the inlet and outlet fan, and just let it do the business. IF it's particularly warm (>25 say), I'll have it alert me on my phone, and then I'll swap to turning the inlet and outlet fan on to replace air every few mins to keep temp down. This will probably be the default mode for the summer, where its keeping temp down rather than humidity that needs controlling. I might automate covering/opening flaps on inlet/outlet if I can be bothered.

Also the electiq is a heater too, so I can also program it to pop on to stop frost.

Additionally if I'm out there with the roof on doing stuff, it'll keep me warm.

Oh, I bought a battery powered heated wastecoat for 30 quid from amazon. it's amazing good! can recommend it for observers out there!!

Also, got the strip lights today, and will fit them tonight.

So - it's all coming together.

Tomorrow, 50mph winds, and friday 65mph winds.

My plan is to get mounts in on friday.

I'm quite looking forward to sitting out there on friday night in the winds, cosy inside fiddling with the mounts !! a new man cave!

stu

• Like 1

Sounds brilliant Stu, you've done so well for the short space of time, going to be proper. 

I also have one of those battery powered heat jackets, keeps my core so warm and when using a rechargeable battery pack I can charge my phone at same time. 

Good luck in the winds forecast 👍

• Like 1