Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion 10" mosaic Jan 13th

neil phillips

Taken at the scopes native focal length. Then drizzled 1.5x then downsized to 55 and 75%  The live capture looked very steady on screen. As can be seen by the pin sharp detail. There was times it looked like a processed picture as it was running live. Will keep this data for a rainy day as better can be done with it i am sure. But was spending too long trying to get a presentable look. Will hopefully do better next time

Orion 245mm F6.3 ZWO 178MM. EQ5  Player one IR685  

zzzzzzzzzzz use 75.png 55.png

zzzzzzzzzzz use 75.png

DSC00199 (2).png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 11

Truly epic work Neil.   I hope one day to perhaps match this even with a single close up!   All along the terminator is magic.....  I will be returning to this a few times this week to study it more...  and also keep a copy on PC to reference by if you don't mind.

So glad you were rewarded for doing the brute work of getting the big Newt out!!

Clear skies my friend

Mike

20 minutes ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Truly epic work Neil.   I hope one day to perhaps match this even with a single close up!   All along the terminator is magic.....  I will be returning to this a few times this week to study it more...  and also keep a copy on PC to reference by if you don't mind.

So glad you were rewarded for doing the brute work of getting the big Newt out!!

Clear skies my friend

Mike

Your a gentleman Mike. its been a real pleasure to get to know you and your lunar work on here. Really. It was you that made me think. Wow look how natural that mosaic is when i first saw one of your mosaics. Not lacking in detail either. it takes skill to get that kind of natural looking out of a spacecraft window effect. No digital vibe whatsoever. Its so easy to over do things. Takes restraint. And the right sort of eye. To achieve that. And of course i dont mind you keeping a copy. Its a honour that you want to. As you know still experimenting my end hopefully the processing will get better. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2

Hello Neil. If I ever get anywhere near that level I will be more than happy. Agree totally with Mike. That is one heck of a picture. The detail and smoothness are nothing short of brilliant. All of us who have dabbled in this game will know how time consuming and complicated it is to get an image like that. I take my hat off to you. 

1 hour ago, Trevor N said:

Hello Neil. If I ever get anywhere near that level I will be more than happy. Agree totally with Mike. That is one heck of a picture. The detail and smoothness are nothing short of brilliant. All of us who have dabbled in this game will know how time consuming and complicated it is to get an image like that. I take my hat off to you. 

Thanks Trevor the data is good. Not there yet with the processing. But am running lots of experiments. Its nice to have good data to play with. Your very kind. I love my lunar imaging have done for years. Even after giving up. it seems i was destined to carry on. Astronomy untill the end. 

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Amazing image Neil, you can just keep on zooming into that one! Plato craterlets, Alpine Rille, Hadley Rille, it’s all there. Very nice!!

Thanks Stu. I will likely be revisiting this data over time as i refine how to get the best out of it. Cheers 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Attempted another go at it. Got rid of some problems. A bit sharper Maybe ? not sure

100% capture size. 

Orion IR 685 13th jan 2022 .png

I’m sure it is sharperNeil if you zoom in. A little bit clearer on the fine detail. Very  subtle but it is there 😁

11 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

I’m sure it is sharperNeil if you zoom in. A little bit clearer on the fine detail. Very  subtle but it is there 😁

Yes Trevor. When i sharpened the image i allowed a little noise to creep into the image on certain regions. Knowing full well the mosaic when brought back to original size ( i stacked the image at 200% resample ) the noise would effectively disappear. Leaving a  slightly finer sharper image. Its misleading looking at the original image in comparison. Because the original image was slightly larger. Giving the impression of more detail. But i am still fairly certain the new image is as you say. A touch sharper. There is certain things i cant get right. But will continue to try and learn how too. Cheers Trevor. 

7 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Fabulous image Neil - wonderful detail!

Can I ask how many images there are in the mosaic, and what your technique is for framing?  

Hi Tommohawk. Not that many actually. I am capturing at the telescopes native focal length of 1600mm F6.3 (No barlow ) somewhat undersampled. I originally used drizzle 1.5 x to process the panes. But recently noticed some problems doing that. So thats when i switched to 200% resample ( AS/2 ) Its not the amount of panes that takes all the processing time ( there are only 9 here )  But the processing itself is the longest part of it. I first put all the captures into PIPP. Do a stabilization and a quality sort. putting all good frames at the start. some of the panes were around 3900 frames. i did a quality sort to 3000. on all panes. Then it was fed into A/S2 i stacked 590 frames from each piece Using the smallest box size APs to map. You have to watch out here. As often box effects can start to appear. If that happens ( it did not ) i switch to the larger box size up 48. I then sharpen in registax top wavelet full up gaussian. Do a histogram stretch.  Then do a denoise using frequency domain. on image analyzer. on this occasion i then sharpened each piece in IMPPG deconvolution. Then did some further levels adjust on the bright side  only. Then fed the panes into Microsoft ICE Then some further levels adjustments. and downsizing from the original 200%. Thats pretty much the whole process. i havent perfected it yet. i still have some problems that i need to sort out. But am trying to learn as i go along. Hope this information is helpful. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

Exquisite.  The last image is definitely sharper & frankly breathtaking.  👍🏾👍🏾

(It may just be my eyes but in the last image is the crater field just above & to the right of Rupes Recta slightly more 'bleached' or paler than in the earlier image - did you tweak the levels a bit?)

44 minutes ago, vineyard said:

Exquisite.  The last image is definitely sharper & frankly breathtaking.  👍🏾👍🏾

(It may just be my eyes but in the last image is the crater field just above & to the right of Rupes Recta slightly more 'bleached' or paler than in the earlier image - did you tweak the levels a bit?)

No it is not your eyes. Yes it is tweaked i was trying to trick ICE into brightening the dark limb. If you want to brighten the dark limb. with ICE you can not just brighten the limb and feed it back into ICE as it will not work. What you have to do is brighten the bright side. Which tricks ICE to then rebalance and brighten the dark side. It is here that i havent perfected the technique. And something i hope to improve on. Cheers

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, neil phillips said:

No it is not your eyes. Yes it is tweaked i was trying to trick ICE into brightening the dark limb. If you want to brighten the dark limb. with ICE you can not just brighten the limb and feed it back into ICE as it will not work. What you have to do is brighten the bright side. Which tricks ICE to then rebalance and brighten the dark side. It is here that i havent perfected the technique. And something i hope to improve on. Cheers

Example of different levels i kept trying. This one wasnt cleaned up as much. As i say work in progress. Still not really happy with it. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 50 sgl.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Very sharp without over done.. nice contrast without being too bright.. nice job

Thanks NA it was a good night. 

14 minutes ago, tombardier said:

Absolutely love this.  Keep on enjoying that data; it's fantastic!

Hi Tom. Cheers for that. As i keep saying i am not really happy with a lot of it. Just need to improve certain things. Might try and get photoshop.