Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Near Earth Object visible in small telescopes

Epick Crom

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Bit of playing around gives you this. It will almost (but not quite) follow this line passing Mira circa 5.30pm and onto E pisces around 9.45 pm.

That distance in degrees is around the 8 mark so it is covering roughly 2 degrees of sky every hour.

It should be sat next to 63 cet if this is correct at 6.30pm, that is my aim all being well. 

HTH

2022-01-18.thumb.png.b1022e6dfc95ce298dffcc8f198d50f9.png

This is what SkySafari says for tonight from 19.00, and then into 20th until 23.00

E73A4064-D99E-416C-BEC6-AAD10AA3BD24.png

53386148-109D-4891-9294-5599242A0AF4.thumb.png.9e636c7f836b6352efdfdacf5c95c500.png

• Like 2

Cheers Stu, pretty much matching what I got.

Another FYI if your thinking of having a bash. According to stellarium, next to 63 cet there are several stars at 11+. 

one right up a tad but right next to it, 11.25, a little higher 11.4 and one below it at 11.75.

Hopefully this will help you in the hunt. 

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 2

Just now, Astro_Dad said:

Going to have go! Set up with the Heritage    - camera an over ambitious move , I’ll be lucky to spot it 🤞🏻
4CAA3A98-963B-4EC5-87C8-896C46AB3883.thumb.jpeg.11885d82501c9c7708711a90c54ce5a3.jpeg

Good luck! Skies not good here unfortunately 

• Thanks 1

blooming weather man got it so wrong here. Just got back from a 1 hour, 35 mile drive. Both places I know predicted to be clear were wall to wall cloud. 

A lot of micro climate areas round here due to topography but so fed up with this.

Deeply disapointed with the weather forecasting. clear outside, bbc (who are usually very good) & ventusky all seem to have mis-judged it.  However I shall forgive them if the reports they currently give for tomorrow are right and I get a second chance.

Tomorrow as it passes through pegasus it passes between HD 332 which is part of a two star cluster. (Looked at Cambridge but the map and index are contradictory as to if it is a double)

Anyhow, the pass is at 7.25pm and it passes the double at 1/4 of a degree. 

My intention is to bring out big guns and technology. I have bookmarked the star on SS6 and this in conjunction with my dobs DSC system will allow me to sit on top of it and wait. (feel like a hunter now)

The 12.5mm Nikon will give me 0.75 FOV to allow for deviations in path forcasting and give x136 so short of another cloud festival, I will have my prize. 

OIP.jpg.693bad0fd74e198e5bbfc40332049b23.jpg

21 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Deeply disapointed with the weather forecasting. clear outside, bbc (who are usually very good) & ventusky all seem to have mis-judged it.  However I shall forgive them if the reports they currently give for tomorrow are right and I get a second chance.

Tomorrow as it passes through pegasus it passes between HD 332 which is part of a two star cluster. (Looked at Cambridge but the map and index are contradictory as to if it is a double)

Anyhow, the pass is at 7.25pm and it passes the double at 1/4 of a degree. 

My intention is to bring out big guns and technology. I have bookmarked the star on SS6 and this in conjunction with my dobs DSC system will allow me to sit on top of it and wait. (feel like a hunter now)

The 12.5mm Nikon will give me 0.75 FOV to allow for deviations in path forcasting and give x136 so short of another cloud festival, I will have my prize. 

OIP.jpg.693bad0fd74e198e5bbfc40332049b23.jpg

If it helps, I picked it up quite easily in my 8” f8 with a 21mm Ethos, giving 1.3 degree field and x76. My skies are Bortle 4 but obviously the Moon was brightening the sky quite a bit.

I setup field of view circles for the RACI and scope/eyepiece combinations, set the orientation and limiting magnitude and just star hopped straight to it. Was quite straightforward.

Good luck 👍

• Like 3

Thanks stu, that's good to see what your viewing and fov stats were.

I have a printed chart of stars surrounding the area where I will hopefully bag it.  There are several in the 11-11.7 range so should help me choose a suitable EP.

Given what your experience is I may be able to be a little more relaxed on magnification for a larger tfov trade off. 👍

Clearly didn't do enough planning here, great that you got it Stu. It was cloudy then it suddenly cleared around 9pm. As I said I was using CdC to locate it but was sceptical about how accurate it was. I was trusting it to be evident in the field of view of a 30mm ep on the 12sct, if memory serves around 0.75 degrees. A 10th magnitude asteroid should have been obvious I imagined. By the time I'd started to look up the right coordinates and check against online sources it was getting lower and rapidly dipping below my obsy wall. Then the clouds rolled in... Planning is everything.. 🙄

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Sort @Kon didn’t see your post.

Here are a few for 7.30pm

Thanks and the timing was perfect as I got back from work. I got in the area but unfortunately light  haze made transparency awful and I did not see anything faint moving. I could see the stars in your screenshot around mag 8-8.5 but nothing beyond that really 😢. At least your description in the other post makes it up for the unsuccessful attempt last light and tonight.

• Like 1

Here's a quick animation of 10 x 10 second exposures, captured at round 18:58 this evening (19th Jan) Norfolk, UK.

Atik 383L, binned 2x, 200mm Newtonian. Field of view 61.9 x 46.6 arcmin. The brightest star at the bottom is around mag 7.9, and the asteroid must be around 11.5

51831389635_5c85919902_o.gif

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 8