SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Near Earth Object visible in small telescopes

Epick Crom

1 minute ago, Muc said:

That's great, congrats. I can't believe Stellarium Plus sent me to the wrong constellation 🙃

It's in the wrong position for me in Sky Safari Pro too!

However, Carte du Ciel had it correctly, which was how I found it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lukebl said:

It's in the wrong position for me in Sky Safari Pro too!

However, Carte du Ciel had it correctly, which was how I found it.

That’s weird, which version do you have? Was spot on for me in 7 Pro.

16 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Here's a quick animation of 10 x 10 second exposures, captured at round 18:58 this evening (19th Jan) Norfolk, UK.

Atik 383L, binned 2x, 200mm Newtonian. Field of view 61.9 x 46.6 arcmin. The brightest star at the bottom is around mag 7.9, and the asteroid must be around 11.5

51831389635_5c85919902_o.gif

Brilliant, glad you got it 👍👍

• Like 1

Got it, little monkey didn't get away this time.  Although it wasn't as bright as I expected.

download.jpg.d917e683b2abe77ce244b7f06cceb360.jpg

I tracked it past two very faint stars that were only slightly dimmer than the asteroid and both these were around mag 13 according to stellarium.

As you said earlier @Stu, it is tramming it along .

I was using the 14" dob at x100 then x136. At 136 it stood out readily.

Straight after I packed up and left, a stiff breeze was blowing and the temp was given at 1 degree #windchill

• Like 5

2 hours ago, skyhog said:

I'm watching it now, amazing to think what we are observing here. 

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Got it, little monkey didn't get away this time.  Although it wasn't as bright as I expected.

download.jpg.d917e683b2abe77ce244b7f06cceb360.jpg

I tracked it past two very faint stars that were only slightly dimmer than the asteroid and both these were around mag 13 according to stellarium.

As you said earlier @Stu, it is tramming it along .

I was using the 14" dob at x100 then x136. At 136 it stood out readily.

Straight after I packed up and left, a stiff breeze was blowing and the temp was given at 1 degree #windchill

Well done chaps, really glad you got it while still moving reasonably fast 👍👍

• Like 2

Here's a further animation of 50 frames.

10 second exposures from 18:57 to 19:08 on 19th January, during which time it traversed approximately 15 arc minutes (half the visual width of the moon). Atik 383L+, binned 2x, 200PDS Newtonian, Baader coma corrector.

51831869098_32a35c8714_o.gif

Here's the start and the finish, showing the moon to the same scale.

51831895663_faf0050b21_o.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lukebl said:

Here's a further animation of 50 frames.

10 second exposures from 18:57 to 19:08 on 19th January, during which time it traversed approximately 15 arc minutes (half the visual width of the moon). Atik 383L+, binned 2x, 200PDS Newtonian, Baader coma corrector.

51831869098_32a35c8714_o.gif

Here's the start and the finish, showing the moon to the same scale.

51831895663_faf0050b21_o.jpg

That's very good and does give me the feeling I was getting at the eyepiece, albeit not quite as quick as that! I must say it was a lot fainter than I was anticipating, transparency wasn't great and obviously we had the moon, but I was expecting it to be brighter. 

2 minutes ago, skyhog said:

That's very good and does give me the feeling I was getting at the eyepiece, albeit not quite as quick as that! I must say it was a lot fainter than I was anticipating, transparency wasn't great and obviously we had the moon, but I was expecting it to be brighter. 

I think it was at mag 11.5 last night, fainter than on the 18th. What scope were you using? I think I would have struggled with less than the 8”, although probably still there in a 6”.