Jump to content

Banner.jpg.5ed196c1e70861ebc79109e023c96067.jpg

Near Earth Object visible in small telescopes


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Muc said:

That's great, congrats. I can't believe Stellarium Plus sent me to the wrong constellation 🙃

It's in the wrong position for me in Sky Safari Pro too!

However, Carte du Ciel had it correctly, which was how I found it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lukebl said:

It's in the wrong position for me in Sky Safari Pro too!

However, Carte du Ciel had it correctly, which was how I found it.

That’s weird, which version do you have? Was spot on for me in 7 Pro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Have you managed to see it again tonight?

No, fairly cloudy and I’m out at an Astro meeting. Makes it even better that I managed yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Here's a quick animation of 10 x 10 second exposures, captured at round 18:58 this evening (19th Jan) Norfolk, UK.

Atik 383L, binned 2x, 200mm Newtonian. Field of view 61.9 x 46.6 arcmin. The brightest star at the bottom is around mag 7.9, and the asteroid must be around 11.5

51831389635_5c85919902_o.gif

Brilliant, glad you got it 👍👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got it, little monkey didn't get away this time.  Although it wasn't as bright as I expected.

download.jpg.d917e683b2abe77ce244b7f06cceb360.jpg

I tracked it past two very faint stars that were only slightly dimmer than the asteroid and both these were around mag 13 according to stellarium.

As you said earlier @Stu, it is tramming it along .

I was using the 14" dob at x100 then x136. At 136 it stood out readily.

Straight after I packed up and left, a stiff breeze was blowing and the temp was given at 1 degree #windchill

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, skyhog said:

I'm watching it now, amazing to think what we are observing here. 

 

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Got it, little monkey didn't get away this time.  Although it wasn't as bright as I expected.

download.jpg.d917e683b2abe77ce244b7f06cceb360.jpg

I tracked it past two very faint stars that were only slightly dimmer than the asteroid and both these were around mag 13 according to stellarium.

As you said earlier @Stu, it is tramming it along .

I was using the 14" dob at x100 then x136. At 136 it stood out readily.

Straight after I packed up and left, a stiff breeze was blowing and the temp was given at 1 degree #windchill

Well done chaps, really glad you got it while still moving reasonably fast 👍👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a further animation of 50 frames.

10 second exposures from 18:57 to 19:08 on 19th January, during which time it traversed approximately 15 arc minutes (half the visual width of the moon). Atik 383L+, binned 2x, 200PDS Newtonian, Baader coma corrector.

51831869098_32a35c8714_o.gif

Here's the start and the finish, showing the moon to the same scale.

51831895663_faf0050b21_o.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lukebl said:

Here's a further animation of 50 frames.

10 second exposures from 18:57 to 19:08 on 19th January, during which time it traversed approximately 15 arc minutes (half the visual width of the moon). Atik 383L+, binned 2x, 200PDS Newtonian, Baader coma corrector.

51831869098_32a35c8714_o.gif

Here's the start and the finish, showing the moon to the same scale.

51831895663_faf0050b21_o.jpg

That's very good and does give me the feeling I was getting at the eyepiece, albeit not quite as quick as that! I must say it was a lot fainter than I was anticipating, transparency wasn't great and obviously we had the moon, but I was expecting it to be brighter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, skyhog said:

That's very good and does give me the feeling I was getting at the eyepiece, albeit not quite as quick as that! I must say it was a lot fainter than I was anticipating, transparency wasn't great and obviously we had the moon, but I was expecting it to be brighter. 

I think it was at mag 11.5 last night, fainter than on the 18th. What scope were you using? I think I would have struggled with less than the 8”, although probably still there in a 6”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.