Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

synscan

Unfortunately, Synscaninit is no longer on Google Play. However, it can be downloaded as an APK from some other sites. 

If you download the Synscan app, the 'Location' settings page gives you the data in the right format - just make sure the longitude has 3 digits for degrees.

Edited by Gfamily

5 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

PS Align Pro app gives everything, location, date etc as it should be inputted into Synscan. Also the best PA app on the market imo 

Again, this doesn't seem to be available via Google Play - but can be downloaded as an APK. 

2 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

The straight Synscan Pro app is very much available from the Play Store and they will give you the Lat Long in the format you need...

Yes, it is now, but for a long time it was only available on the supplier website, because of unspecified technical difficulties.
I didn't realize either until you pointed it out.

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

Yes, it is now, but for a long time it was only available on the supplier website, because of unspecified technical difficulties.
I didn't realize either until you pointed it out.

I'm not sure about that.

The version on Google Play seems to be 1.17.0 and the description says it doesn't work with Android 11, with a reference to go to the Skywatcher website to get the latest one, 1.19.x 

11 hours ago, Gfamily said:

I'm not sure about that.

The version on Google Play seems to be 1.17.0 and the description says it doesn't work with Android 11, with a reference to go to the Skywatcher website to get the latest one, 1.19.x 

Ah, my bad, I didn't check the description.

I really don't know why they can't use Google Play, it's not good practice to expect customers to side load.

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

Ah, my bad, I didn't check the description.

I really don't know why they can't use Google Play, it's not good practice to expect customers to side load.

Checking what is on G-Play isn't easy if you already have the app installed  - I had to open the App page in an Incognito Browser to see what's currently on offer.

It could be a backwards compatibility problem - maybe Google insist on some level of support for earlier versions, and it sounds as though Android 11 introduced something that meant it couldn't also work with earlier versions  - but I'm just guessing. 

I'm more disappointed that SynScanInit 2 has fallen off G-Play, that that's such a valuable app for simplifying set up of location and date/time entries

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 2