The Rosette, now and 7 years ago.

gorann

IMG_690-697NewPS2(small stars).tifThis was not planned and I have not imaged the Rosette since I stared with astrophoto seven years ago, but when I after midnight realized that the object I was about to image had fallen below my southern obsy wall, I had to find something else quickly and thought why not see what the RASA8 - ASI2600MC combo could do with this iconic nebula. Nowadays I usually aim at faint and less well known objects, and compared to these, processing the Rosette was just so much easier with an enormous amount of signal. So about 3 hours of data at f/2 seemed enough. Although I had the NBZ dual-band NB filter on I could actually see the nebula live in its full glory on my laptop in my one-second exposures during the focusing and framing.

So RASA 8 with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ filter on Mesu 200. 58 x 3 min (gain 100).

I attach the image I took December 12th 2015 with an Explore Scientific 5" ED triplet and a Canon 60Da. Fortunately I see that I made some progress during my seven years of astrophotography🙂

Cheers, CS & Happy New Year

Göran

20211227 Rosette RASA2 PS20smallSign.jpg

IMG_690-697NewPS2.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 22

Nice one, as you say an abundance of signal provided by the RASA.

It does me good from time to time look at my efforts from 7 years ago, just to remind me there has been some benefit from all that spend that has taken place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tomato said:

Nice one, as you say an abundance of signal provided by the RASA.

It does me good from time to time look at my efforts from 7 years ago, just to remind me there has been some benefit from all that spend that has taken place.

Yes, I would have been quite depressed if I had not noticed an improvement. Come to think of it, this is probably one of very few thing I do better now than 7 years ago🥴.

Edited by gorann

8 minutes ago, DaveS said:

The bottom one looks pretty good for a DSLR Rosette, but the RASA version knocks it not just for six, but over the pavilion and out of the ground.

He he, thanks a lot Dave!

Cheers

Göran

2 hours ago, gorann said:

This was not planned and I have not imaged the Rosette since I stared with astrophoto seven years ago, but when I after midnight realized that the object I was about to image had fallen below my southern obsy wall, I had to find something else quickly and thought why not see what the RASA8 - ASI2600MC combo could do with this iconic nebula. Nowadays I usually aim at faint and less well known objects, and compared to these, processing the Rosette was just so much easier with an enormous amount of signal. So about 3 hours of data at f/2 seemed enough. Although I had the NBZ dual-band NB filter on I could actually see the nebula live in its full glory on my laptop in my one-second exposures during the focusing and framing.

So RASA 8 with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ filter on Mesu 200. 58 x 3 min (gain 100).

I attach the image I took December 12th 2015 with an Explore Scientific 5" ED triplet and a Canon 60Da. Fortunately I see that I made some progress during my seven years of astrophotography🙂

Cheers, CS & Happy New Year

Göran

20211227 Rosette RASA2 PS19smallSign.jpg

IMG_690-697NewPS2.jpg

wow, what a difference. you must be very pleased.

2 hours ago, andy fearn said:

wow, what a difference. you must be very pleased.

Thanks a lot Andy! Yes, when you have passed sixty it is nice to find that there is at least one thing you seem to do better now than 7 years ago😁

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Catanonia said:

What Bortle skies is this under Gorann ? 

Reason for asking is I almost the same setup, just a lEnhance filter and nearly did the Rosetta the other night.

Bortle 2-3, but this is a very very bright object so in NB it should not be that critical.

PS. I have no experience with the Chinese Optolong filters but I hear they are giving bad halos around stars, so I do suspect the proven Japanese company Hutech that produces the IDAS filters are still a bit ahead in quality - no halos at least with the NBZ.

Edited by gorann

17 hours ago, gorann said:

Bortle 2-3, but this is a very very bright object so in NB it should not be that critical.

PS. I have no experience with the Chinese Optolong filters but I hear they are giving bad halos around stars, so I do suspect the proven Japanese company Hutech that produces the IDAS filters are still a bit ahead in quality - no halos at least with the NBZ.

I have stopped using the lEnhance for a while now and replace it with an older LP filter I had (can't remember the make). I get much nicer colours now and better images.

The lEnhance works I suppose for those that need it in LP area's, but in my Bortle 6 it seems to block way too much and requires me to up the exposure lengths on the RASA8 and defeat the object of the scope.