SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M66 by Moonlight

centroid

Yep, as always, a clear sky arrives at last, and with it the Moon :lol:.

However, given the disasterous lack of clear skies these past few months, any gap in the cloud is not to be wasted.

The clear patch didn't arrive here until 21.30. I'd been patiently watching its painfully slow approach on the weather sat pics, since 18.00.

By this time Leo was well up, and reasonably far away from the Moon, so I had a go at M66, and while the result isn't brilliant, it was better than I expected, given the bright sky, and only an IR filter on the camera.

10x500s subs with the SXVF-H9C, attached to the 12" LX200R at around f/7. Guided with the Lodestar/80mm APO combination, and AA4.

Dave

post-13389-133877358766_thumb.jpg

You might not think it brilliant Dave, but it is certainly spectacular.

Beautiful in fact.

It's a pity you are only able to grab at fleeting clear spells to get any work done. This appalling weather can't last much longer surely.

Ron.:lol:

I like it Dave - alot.

Some nice detail showing, despite the conditions.

You certainly haven't forgotten how to capture an image despite the layoff!

In respect of exposure length, have you seen this:

http://www.ccdware.com/resources/

With you 'darker' skies, you might get a longer exposure - in my suburban location, I'm limited to 3-4 mins looking at this sub exposure calculator.

The autoguider calculator is very useful too.

Barry.

Hi Barry

Thanks for the 'link', and I had a look at the 'calculator', which leaves me a bit confused. :)

It recommends the optimum sub exposure length of 2.28 mins, for my H9C.

I don't think I'd capture too much of a DSO at that sub length. :mad:

I have run 15 min subs from my location, but am always wary of long exposures due to the risk of aircraft passing through the FOV, as I'm under a flight path here.

Dave

Dave,

I think your result is false.

If you click on the link at the top of that page ('Click here for Instructions') it goes on to talk about measuring 4 frames etc etc.

I think if you do this and the other info it requires, it will give you a much longer exposure time.

I'm pretty sure it will anyway.

Barry.

Archived