Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2023 Autumn Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Arrived home at 5pm and stopped on the way for a bite to eat.

Drove through rain for just over 200miles before the skies cleared and a bit of blue appeared.

There was hell of a lot of standing water on the A75 and I saw 2 accidents around Creetown. 

Many thanks to Derek for running this again and to all that attended to make the event what it is. I have already booked for the spring event so will pop a post on that thread too.

For those that are still on site, good luck for tonight and clear skies 

• Like 4

Had an hour of reasonably clear so far, managed to setup, check PA, focus imager but clouded up as I was focusing guide so didn't get chance to test by backlash adjustment. 

Possible clear spell coming in another hour or so, hopefully get it tested then.

Heres my Cocoon Nebula, 3 hrs processed from Friday night ...

received_1168615730765262.thumb.jpeg.39cae29acf4b8240a3fdd454c296837a.jpeg

Edited by LandyJon
  • Like 6

On 15/11/2023 at 18:33, OutThereSomewhere said:

A couple more pics that I took at the star party.

HorseheadLRGBCrASmall.jpg

masterLight_BIN-1_5634x3752_EXPOSURE-60.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_RGB_autocropAdCjSmall.jpg

I will look at these pics in moredetail when on my home computer. Looking realy good on the phone though. 🙂

Well now had a good look at your pics. Amazed at the detail. Let me know the details of camera and filters please by PM. 

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 21:05, LandyJon said:

Had an hour of reasonably clear so far, managed to setup, check PA, focus imager but clouded up as I was focusing guide so didn't get chance to test by backlash adjustment. 

Possible clear spell coming in another hour or so, hopefully get it tested then.

Heres my Cocoon Nebula, 3 hrs processed from Friday night ...

received_1168615730765262.thumb.jpeg.39cae29acf4b8240a3fdd454c296837a.jpeg

Another excellent picture here at the Star Party. 🙂

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

can you camp in a tent with ehu please.

Yes you can.

But as I have said before it must be a substantial tent capable of taking high winds and heavy rain at times. You will need plenty of heavy duty tent pegs, not the small thin normal pegs, as they will just pull out in high winds.

18 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Yes you can.

But as I have said before it must be a substantial tent capable of taking high winds and heavy rain at times. You will need plenty of heavy duty tent pegs, not the small thin normal pegs, as they will just pull out in high winds.

I'm looking to buy one after Christmas as I sold my Berghaus 6 air earlier this year but I kept all the heavy duty tent pegs I had for that. 

22 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I'm looking to buy one after Christmas as I sold my Berghaus 6 air earlier this year but I kept all the heavy duty tent pegs I had for that. 

I can recommend the Vango 350 Omega, several of us have or have had them and they're a sturdy tent big enough for 1 with space and to sit on a camp chair in the porch.

1st try ...

20220302_161936.thumb.jpg.935e8431ebd79254ef2894ad55338792.jpg20220302_161951.thumb.jpg.7de3654b610a6a07d0738d34695226ae.jpg

Then I learnt about airbeds being a big volume of trapped air that never warms up so either insulate yourself from it or get a proper camp bed ...

a14119bb-0086-4ab8-ba0a-76e74d9893caphoto.thumb.jpeg.3305bcfd9ab22af5b3c22dc70ee1644a.jpeg

Much better with a down sleeping bag too.

I have a caravan now so I might sell the camp bed, only used a couple times, I'll double check how much it cost if your interested ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LandyJon said:

I can recommend the Vango 350 Omega, several of us have or have had them and they're a sturdy tent big enough for 1 with space and to sit on a camp chair in the porch.

1st try ...

20220302_161936.thumb.jpg.935e8431ebd79254ef2894ad55338792.jpg20220302_161951.thumb.jpg.7de3654b610a6a07d0738d34695226ae.jpg

Then I learnt about airbeds being a big volume of trapped air that never warms up so either insulate yourself from it or get a proper camp bed ...

a14119bb-0086-4ab8-ba0a-76e74d9893caphoto.thumb.jpeg.3305bcfd9ab22af5b3c22dc70ee1644a.jpeg

Much better with a down sleeping bag too.

I have a caravan now so I might sell the camp bed, only used a couple times, I'll double check how much it cost if your interested ?

Which thermoelectric cooler box is that? Brand? Model?

I also use a "bed chair", mine is an Advanta Endurance 6 leg one from Angling Direct, and is marvellous, but I use it to lie on for visual use with binoculars, and it's wet through with dew or frozen when I'm finished observing!

Regards,

Alistair

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I need a tent to stand up in I have arthritis in my spine and 3 collapsed discs. 

I need a double height air bed which I insulate from below thanks for the offer. 

That's bad luck - not easy to accommodate.  If your budget allows and you are prepared to tow, a small trailer tent might be a suitable solution.  The Raclet Solena (or similar) looks to be very easy to erect, has a 'proper' bed and plenty room inside for a table and cooker etc.  That model has been around for several years now, so there are usually secondhand ones to be had at a decent price.  Short review here.

Best of luck,

Peter

Edited by petevasey
Added review link

9 hours ago, petevasey said:

That's bad luck - not easy to accommodate.  If your budget allows and you are prepared to tow, a small trailer tent might be a suitable solution.  The Raclet Solena (or similar) looks to be very easy to erect, has a 'proper' bed and plenty room inside for a table and cooker etc.  That model has been around for several years now, so there are usually secondhand ones to be had at a decent price.  Short review here.

Best of luck,

Peter

Thank you Peter that sounds good I will take a look I have been flirting with the idea of getting a tow bar fitted to my vectra.

Best wishes

Paul

Edited by wookie1965

11 hours ago, Live_Steam_Mad said:

Which thermoelectric cooler box is that? Brand? Model?

Its the cheap one from Aldi, AdventureRidge was the brand years ago, this one is Mobicool, I've had a few over the years in the truck, the double ended fan starts to fail after 24 hr use 5 days a week for 3-4 years, but for £40 ish they last pretty well.

Just had a quick search and it might be out of season, spring might be best time to look.

• Like 1

Well another Star Camp over. I would like to thank all those who attended the camp. I especially must thank Lesley and Ralph for their unwavering enthusiastic support and help during each and every Star Camp including this one.

Although the weather was somewhat inclement, a good number of attendees managed to get some nice pictures during the clear periods. Also it gave the visual guys a chance at least to get in some decent viewing.

As for me a computer malfunction put the Kaibosh on my acquisition of images. Well it happens ..........😈

But for me better luck next time, must remember to make shure that windows cannot update !!!!!

Still it was nice to see so many enthusiastic stargazers enjoying  their visit to Drumroamin.

Hope everyone is looking forwards to February 24.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 15/11/2023 at 21:50, Physopto said:

I will look at these pics in moredetail when on my home computer. Looking realy good on the phone though. 🙂

Well now had a good look at your pics. Amazed at the detail. Let me know the details of camera and filters please by PM. 

Thanks! The camera is a ZWO ASI6200MM - full-frame 62MP sensor with 3.76um pixels. The filters are Baader 50.4mm unframed RGB's in a Starlight Xpress USB filter wheel.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to take this opportunity to :

Wish Everyone past and present who has attended the only regular Scottish Star Camps at Drumroamin in Galloway:

A

Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

None of these Scottish Star Camps would have been possible with out the dedication of first organiser

Steve Foy and then for the next 10 years by Mike Chastney.

I have tried to continue Mike's friendly organising for the last few years, (tough act to follow).

Serious flooding then Covid 19 caused us some problems to say the least.

We seem to have weathered that and although attendance numbers suffered,

they are now thankfully once again increasing.

These Scottish Star Camps would not have been possible without the original and continued support from the owners of Drumroamin.

So a BIGG thank you to Lesley and Ralph Shell.

Best wishes to everyone for the festive season and next year.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1