SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 8" Stella Lyra 23rd Nov

neil phillips

Jupiter first light for my 8" CC working closer to 7.3" But seems to be in the Meade 7" F15 quality bracket from what i can tell ( remember ) 135% resample QHY 462C  ZWO ADC working at F12

Thanks to John in derby. Who has been helping lately. 

gso cc.tif full.tif 75.tif 200.tif 70.png s.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Jupiter first light for my 8" CC working closer to 7.3" But seems to be in the Meade 7" F15 quality bracket from what i can tell ( remember ) 150% resample QHY 462C  ZWO ADC working at F12

Thanks to John in derby. Who has been helping lately. 

gso cc.tif full.tif 75.png

Ooh nice image Neil...I'll have to stretch the legs on mine :thumbsup:

What was the cool time before you took image?

Mark :)

2 minutes ago, callisto said:

Ooh nice image Neil...I'll have to stretch the legs on mine :thumbsup:

What was the cool time before you took image?

Mark :)

Hi Mark Not sure exactly, but got the scope out when it was still light. Early evening. I am guessing 2 hours perhaps ? maybe 1.30. Trying to sort a fan out. Build a cheap one. Any day soon i hope. I believe already these scopes will benefit immensely from fan cooling. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Mark Not sure exactly, but got the scope out when it was still light. Early evening. I am guessing 2 hours perhaps ? maybe 1.30. Trying to sort a fan out. Build a cheap one. Any day soon i hope. I believe already these scopes will benefit immensely from fan cooling. 

Hmm 🤔...Yeah, John mentioned about your trouble with heat plumes and cooling down times 🤨

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Nice first image of Jupiter with the scope. 👍🏻

If only Jupiter was a lot higher up. 🤔

Its showing promise. It was focusing quite nicely. Very long broad focus. As you would expect at F12. its not a scope thats either in or out, its more nearly in. fairly in. maybe in ? Yeah i think its now in type lol. Long focus position.  still need to do star testing. But i belive i got it a little closer the other day. The image suggests as much as well. Jupiter way past its best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, astroman001 said:

Interesting cassegrain choice. I always thought you were a Newtonian fan. At least you will not need to worry about dew on a corrector plate like a SCT. May be a good choice, small and compact for F/12.

Peter

Still a Newtonian Guy Peter.  My Orion will still get used. But wanted something for a easier setup. That has long focal length. With quartz primary. Certainly a alternative to the 7" Mak

6 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

A fine image with the new scope,

I have thinking about going in the other direction scope-wise. Just thinking a 300-350mm Newt my be a big for me to handle on my own in a few years though.

Can be great performers Pete. Especially a nice set of optics. More work and waiting to get the conditions where they do perform. But when they do. its worth it i found. There often can be many days where its just more blurry. But when it all goes right. your images will show a lot more resolution. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Good idea. does it draw air out ? the only problem with blowing air down is dust

It blows air down the tube, but after 4 months the mirror is still very clean.

If I do start to see dust build up I will put a filter behind the fan, or perhaps put the whole OTA in a large plastic box and circulate filtered air through it……..

I definitely do not want to drill holes through the rear of the OTA 😱

Edited by dweller25

24 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

It blows air down the tube, but after 4 months the mirror is still very clean.

If I do start to see dust build up I will put a filter behind the fan, or perhaps put the whole OTA in a large plastic box and circulate filtered air through it……..

I definitely do not want to drill holes through the rear of the OTA 😱

Agreed. what about putting the fan in a cardboard plate. reversing the flow. lightly attach to the front using masking tape and drawing air out 

In the past i did same as you, i had one fan at the back. the other at the front blowing down. . As here, the cling film was to stop the leaks 

orion europa.jpg

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Have ordered a cheap 200mm fan. Should draw plenty of air through the scope. 😁

Bit of elastic cord through the lugs should do for mounting over the front.

8C7D4175-FD91-44C0-8F18-1D9AB8B5B858.jpeg

Works better with a baffle John it will draw much more efficiently. As my pic above on the newt. Reading the size again if there is no leaks. the fan is the baffle. big fan that.

Edited by neil phillips

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

Works better with a baffle John it will draw much more efficiently. As my pic above on the newt

Thinking a bit of foam draught excluder stuck around the fan housing will do as there will only be a few mm clearance around the fan.

47 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Agreed. what about putting the fan in a cardboard plate. reversing the flow. lightly attach to the front using masking tape and drawing air out 

In the past i did same as you, i had one fan at the back. the other at the front blowing down. . As here, the cling film was to stop the leaks 

orion europa.jpg

Good idea, but, the cooling air will travel straight from the front of the DK primary baffle to the front of the OTA having little effect on the mirror.

it would work if I drilled holes in the backplate - but I’m not that brave 🤷🏻

Edited by dweller25

Just now, dweller25 said:

Good idea, but, the cooling air will travel straight from the front of the DK primary baffle to the front of the OTA having little effect on the mirror.

it would work if I drilled holes on the backplate - but i’m not that brave 🤷🏻

Just take out the eyepiece and leave a hole. to draw air in

I've quite recently acquired an 8 inch Orion Optics Europa and found the cool down times rather lengthy in it's standard form.

I may change the primary cell to OO's current and more open design but meanwhile I've ventilated the back plate (photo below) which does seem to have helped. A fan, such as the ones mentioned in this thread, may well be my next step I think, before shelling out £200+ on an OO upgraded primary cell.

oo200lcellmod.JPG.80d83cf617db49b3ae2cbb0588a91a0d.JPG

3 minutes ago, John said:

I've quite recently acquired an 8 inch Orion Optics Europa and found the cool down times rather lengthy in it's standard form.

I may change the primary cell to OO's current and more open design but meanwhile I've ventilated the back plate (photo below) which does seem to have helped. A fan, such as the ones mentioned in this thread, may well be my next step I think, before shelling out £200+ on an OO upgraded primary cell.

oo200lcellmod.JPG.80d83cf617db49b3ae2cbb0588a91a0d.JPG

Good mod. with a fan it will cool more effectively for sure

• Thanks 1