Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

Unfortunately by the time I went back out again, the seeing had dropped off a bit so the views weren’t as good as they had been in my quick earlier session. Shame.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Unfortunately by the time I went back out again, the seeing had dropped off a bit so the views weren’t as good as they had been in my quick earlier session. Shame.

I found the seeing really variable last night, quite apart from the constant supply of patchy clouds plus a thin, higher haze. I did get some half decent lunar views on and off but mostly off so I didn't have much at all to post about. Gassendi was tempting during the few good moments and some of the rilles popped into view, only to vanish again before I could really study them. A bit frustrating but there will be other nights 🙄

• Like 6

I went out with my new (to me) Vixen 10x50’s and my pistol grip tripod to view the moon and a general look around the sky. To my dismay this was the first time trying them with my tripod and found my binocular mount too wide to fit the roof prisms. I always used the heavy mount as I have always had Porro’s  up until now. I will have to purchase a lighter binocular mount from FLO. I made do with a hand held session until the clouds came rolling in. Sigh 😔.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 3

I had an interesting evening session last night targeting Venus and the waxing gibbous moon.

I saw a new to me interesting feature on the moon, the "crater" Zupus and it's un named mountain. While researching this in an attempt to find out if the mountain had a name,I found there is considerable debate as to wether Zupus is actually a crater or not. 

Alas, it appears that it's companion mountain is un named (Grrr IAU!)

Clear Skies

Joe

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Epick Crom said:

......Alas, it appears that it's companion mountain is un named (Grrr IAU!)

Nice report Joe 🙂

If the mountain is un-named, it's yours - you can name it Mount Joe 😁

You just need to get the I.A.U to agree to it 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While browsing the Moon last night I 'discovered' this straight rille running north-south to the west of Gassendi. Does anyone know its name?

Screenshot_20230503_070118_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28de4c67062f9de930d89c3e98b2255c.jpg

Also saw a bunch of lumpy lava plain in the vicinity of Aristarchus, southward. I believe this was the Marius Hills volcanic region:

Screenshot_20230503_071826_Chrome.jpg.d7e560821a91b38800940a61f6c95df0.jpg

• Like 7

I don't know what to make of tonight's forecast. BBC says clear, Clear Outside says 100% high cloud. Thankfully if it is clear the Tak only takes a couple of minutes to set up and get going.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I don't know what to make of tonight's forecast. BBC says clear, Clear Outside says 100% high cloud. Thankfully if it is clear the Tak only takes a couple of minutes to set up and get going.

The FC100's are great like that - they seem to need virtually no cool down time at all 🙂

My Vixen ED102 F/6.5 needs 20 minutes or so to give it's best. Thicker lenses and a fatter tube I reckon ?

Edited by John
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, John said:

The FC100's are great like that - they seem to need virtually no cool down time at all

Indeed. By the time I've switched the drive on and fetched my eyepieces, it's ready to go :blink: 

• Like 3

I saw a hazy Moon that was looking somewhat too full to observe, or maybe I was lazy tonight. I packed the scope away for the first time in the garden shed, which received a secure lock today and has been thoroughly cleaned out over the past couple of weeks. I feel a bit of anxiety about it being outside, but it’s safer there really - the apartment is full of builder’s dust.

• Like 1

At my parents tonight, but had the FS60C with me so had a quick look at the Moon. Quite hazy but Schröter’s Valley looking nice, nearing the terminator. Quick smartphone shot for the record.

2EAD7F02-84F1-44E2-A04F-C9B744CFF109.jpeg

• Like 4

On 03/05/2023 at 08:08, Mr Spock said:

BBC says clear, Clear Outside says 100% high cloud

I've found that a few times recently.  Either the BBC forecasts are failing to predict the high stuff, or deliberately choosing to ignore it for the headline forecasts.

• Like 1

So , a three hour opportunity, starting now (8pm ) but of course it’s still light  💤, but , nonetheless an opportunity to set stuff up in the light . I know I wouldn’t need the Starsense with Little White , but I’m keen to find some whispy grey smudges later and this  is Little Whites first light . The scope came with the visual pack which included an Altair 32mm diagonal , a really nice RDF and a 65degree 17mm EP . Moon has risen but will be a couple of hours before it gets into view . Hope everyone else gets some clear skies tonight . After a stressful day it’s so nice just to be outside with the birds singing . 
Happy night folks .  
Oh and the Dwarf is out too 

image.jpg

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 8

For the first time in months we will actually have clear skies in Ohio and it wont be freezing cold.  What will I see this weekend?  Probably not much since we will also have a very full moon to go with it. 

The skies in Oxford are constantly covered by high cloud which even inhibits me from giving my new wedge it’s first light. It supposed to be like this for the next week.🙄

• Sad 1

Didn’t think I was going to take go out tonight been cloudy with high humidity all day but as evening sat in the clouds due west broke apart and I took my scope out to snap a few quick images of Venus as I have been trying to log a photo at least every few weeks to document it’s phases. The upper level moisture and haze was so bad I really didn’t need my filters I probably captured my least glared images of Venus albeit a little soft around the edges, however the 97% humidity, 80 F* (26 C*) temps and clouds rolling in with drizzle had me quickly back indoors. Looks like it might be next week before I can get the scope out again but the way the weather is around here who knows I may get lucky and get a break like this evening for my Venus project.

IMG_1531.jpeg

• Like 7

It was my first time out for a couple of weeks tonight, and really felt like summer-  a cheeky twenty minutes before bed sat outside in the quiet and warmth with a light jacket on is a true joy.

Just a few nice bright targets tonight in the 8" dob:

Venus - lovely half disk, seeing very steady, takes 4mm/300x quite happily. 

Castor - miles apart at 300x!!

Mars - it's gotten really small- but nice clear orange disc easily seen. Tried but couldn't make out features.

Arcturus - there's gold in my eyepiece!

Izar- not too hard a split at all.

Cor coroli - Blue and white beauty

Not many better ways to finish a day off than that!

• Like 10

More  like … what will I see tonight . Which will depend  on how accurate this forecast is . … and an update on the weather 2 1/2 hours later dampens my enthusiasm zzzz 
And ifast forward to this evening , heavy rain and then thick cloud . 

IMG_0358.png

IMG_0359.png

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 2