740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Better than Mars Colonization in many aspects.

The atmospheres of the "outer" planets are also a possibility. (Jupiter has
too great a magnetic field and Radiation!) But beyond that?!? Mind you,
if you spring a leak of Oxygen-rich into lots of Hydrogen... Methane? 🙃

The "relativity" of flames / burning is always an interesting thought... 🤔
https://youtu.be/8jmX-TUQkx4  (Oxygen burning in Propane)

Edited by Macavity

I'd rather take my chances with the soul-destroying cold radioactive wasteland that is Mars.

I'm too scared of living in clouds of carbon dioxide / sulphuric acid. Health and Safety first. I know Mars isn't much better but at least l'd be walking on firm ground!

Also bear in mind the human propensity to vandalise everything, from the Lascaux caves onward, l mean it takes one pellet gun and we all die. Martian bases seem more disaster proof, you can flee one area on foot to seek refuge in another.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By ShrewView
      Ingenuity has just taken its first successful up and down flight on mars!
      Amazing considering there's almost no atmosphere to fly in.
      Only a couple of pics so far at the end of the broadcast but I'm sure more to follow. 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1KolyCqICI

• By Astrodinsk
      Shooting date: 10/16/2020; Shooting time 23:00 - 23:55; UT + 3h; Location: village #Dinskaya, #Krasnodar Territory; Equipment: Telescope Sky-Watcher 150 / 750PDS; Mount: Sky-Watcher Heq5 Pro SynScan; LB 3x #Televue Powermate; #ZWO ASI 120MC camera; Visible diameter 22.04 sec. arcs; Gloss -2.37; Azimuth 134.31 °; Height 42 °; The illumination of the planet by the Sun is 97.7%; Distance from Earth to Mars 63.5 million km; km; Roller 120 sec Crop video frames 8 bit, 380x380, 30% of 12,615, (69) FPS; Software: FireCapture; gain 36 (36%), exposure 7,000ms, Brightness (offset) = 9, Histogram = 60%; PIPP; AS3; RS6; PS CC (2020)
    • By MarsG76
      This image is a compilation of my captured images of Mars during this years (2020) opposition season of Mars. All of the images were taken using a 8" SCT at 6764mm focal length (f33.3) with an Celestron Skyris 618C CCD. All of the images were taken with the same telescope at the same focal length so shows the size of the martian disc as it was closer, at opposition and further from Earth.
    • By SpaceDave
      Hello all. I’ve tried a few times in the last month to image Mars but have had very little success. Although a decent size, Mars is very blurry and wobbly. I am fairly new to the hobby, but I would say it appears to be poor seeing conditions. 
      I am using a Celestron 6SE and Canon 600D. I have tried 2x and 3x Barlow. I focus using a bahtinov mask (on stars). I used movie crop mode on various ISOs and exposures, stacking at least 3000 frames (keeping the best 1%, 2%, 5%, etc).
      Is Mars too far away now? Or am I underestimating how rarely you get a night of good seeing? How do you find out when the best seeing will be?
    • By Goldenmole
      Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I recently joined this forum for the express purpose of answering this question: Why does Mars look like a simple star through my telescope? I have a Starsense Explorer LT 80AZ refractor with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens, and my telescope has a max magnification of 189x! So why is it, on a pretty clear winters night, that the mighty Mars, the Red Planet , looks like a humble star. I love stars (who the hell doesn't) but i rather hoped to see a planet. What am i doing wrong? AM i doing something wrong or is my telescope inadequate (i doubt it though). I use the 10mm plus the Barlow, and still nothing. Is this just how Mars looks through a telescope like mine? Or maybe i'm not looking at Mars at all. Although, according to my research, the Red Planet currently resides in the constellation of Aries. Correct? Please. please answer my question as it is driving me up the wall. Plus, if anyone has the time, could someone recommend a good astronomy app, other than the starsense one, that you can just point at the sky? Thank you so much for reading this. Have a lovely day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.