Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zoom Eyepieces

mareman48

4 minutes ago, mareman48 said:

Has anyone used these and are they worth buying ? --> https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-9-27mm-zoom.html

Thanks in advance

I’d not seen that one before, but have had a few of the 7.2 to 21.5mm version and thought they were very good for the price. No reason to think the 9 to 27 would be any different but perhaps someone out there has used one.

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’d not seen that one before, but have had a few of the 7.2 to 21.5mm version and thought they were very good for the price. No reason to think the 9 to 27 would be any different but perhaps someone out there has used one.

Thanks for the quick reply, can I ask which version you have and how do you find it?

Many thanks

The Svbony zooms are also great for the money and very similar in performance to the Hyperflex.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Svbony-SV171-Eyepiece-Telescope-Structure/dp/B08D5XZ3KP/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=svbony+zoom+eyepiece&qid=1633432449&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Cheaper on eBay usuall though.

Edited by johninderby

I use a clone of the Hyperflex 7.2mm - 21.5mm quite often despite my other eyepieces being Pentax and Tele Vue's. Accepting the restricted AFoV at the 21.5mm end, it's optical performance is rather good for what it cost. It works very well with the Baader Q-Turret 2.25x barlow lens as well giving a useful high power zoom range of 9.55mm - 3.2mm.

The zoom is also great for outreach / star parties.

traveleps.JPG.a1ea23afa0b51218d115b14f22fe24e7.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mareman48 said:

Thanks for the quick reply, can I ask which version you have and how do you find it?

Many thanks

I had the one which John refers to in his post. As said, was a very good performer for the price. Stephenstargazers comment is very valid though, the 40 degree afov at the longest focal length does limit their appeal, particularly as lower power eyepieces. I think you would be better off with the 7.2 to 21.5mm and, depending on what you’ve already got, use a 32mm Plossl or 24mm 68 degree for lower power/wider field viewing. The barlow John suggests is a good idea too to give you a wide range of options.

• Like 1

It seems folks have been asking about this eyepiece for at least 8 years on both here and on CN, and literally no one has chimed in to offer any sort of report on it.  Is the entire original stock of this eyepiece still sitting on dealer shelves?

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, it was very useful.

These are what I have at the moment, just want to maximise the viewing quality.

I just managed to get my hand on a brand new Meade LX10, 8" which an old boy who passed away had stashed away.

These are for that scope.

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

On 05/10/2021 at 12:16, johninderby said:

The Svbony zooms are also great for the money and very similar in performance to the Hyperflex.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Svbony-SV171-Eyepiece-Telescope-Structure/dp/B08D5XZ3KP/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=svbony+zoom+eyepiece&qid=1633432449&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Cheaper on eBay usuall though.

Had a look at the reviews, on Amazon, seems hit and miss, no real in depth reviews.

On 05/10/2021 at 14:39, John said:

I use a clone of the Hyperflex 7.2mm - 21.5mm quite often despite my other eyepieces being Pentax and Tele Vue's. Accepting the restricted AFoV at the 21.5mm end, it's optical performance is rather good for what it cost. It works very well with the Baader Q-Turret 2.25x barlow lens as well giving a useful high power zoom range of 9.55mm - 3.2mm.

The zoom is also great for outreach / star parties.

traveleps.JPG.a1ea23afa0b51218d115b14f22fe24e7.JPG

Thanks for that John, very interesting 🤔

41 minutes ago, mareman48 said:

Had a look at the reviews, on Amazon, seems hit and miss, no real in depth reviews.

Check the reviews here on SGL.Very well regarded for the price.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/382254-thoughts-on-svbony-eyepiece/?tab=comments#comment-4132384

Edited by johninderby

The 9-27mm hyperflex looks very similar to the svbony 10-30mm zoom I recently picked up, it performs ok for the price although the narrow FOV at the 30mm is a little off putting it's a useful tool on nights where the seeing is unpredictable

However, can I make a different suggestion..

Put the HR and HF eyepieces in a drawer or something, in my experience they are frustrating to use (like looking down a drinking straw) and use the two plossls and Barlow until you are used to the setup

The 26mm barlow and scope will give similar magnification to around a 13mm eyepiece (not exactly how it works I know, but close enough for this)

If you find after a while using some more magnification is needed, then take a look at options

Zooms are ok, but you may find a dedicated eyepiece better, join your local astro club if you can, maybe they'll have a star party soon where you can try out some other eyepieces

Also, grip that wallet tightly, this hobby has a habit of making money magically disappear 🤣

• Like 1

Zoom eyepieces are a useful addition to your eyepiece set. Not as a replacement for fixed focal length eyepieces but are convenient  to start an observing session with as you can play around with the zoom setting to find the most useful mag for thst nights seeing conditions before switching to a fixed focal length eyepiece.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, doublevodka said:

The 9-27mm hyperflex looks very similar to the svbony 10-30mm zoom I recently picked up, it performs ok for the price although the narrow FOV at the 30mm is a little off putting it's a useful tool on nights where the seeing is unpredictable

However, can I make a different suggestion..

Put the HR and HF eyepieces in a drawer or something, in my experience they are frustrating to use (like looking down a drinking straw) and use the two plossls and Barlow until you are used to the setup

The 26mm barlow and scope will give similar magnification to around a 13mm eyepiece (not exactly how it works I know, but close enough for this)

If you find after a while using some more magnification is needed, then take a look at options

Zooms are ok, but you may find a dedicated eyepiece better, join your local astro club if you can, maybe they'll have a star party soon where you can try out some other eyepieces

Also, grip that wallet tightly, this hobby has a habit of making money magically disappear 🤣

I totally agree with you about the HR &HF I don't bother using them at all 😂

With regards to the wallet,  you don't have to tell me about that, need a second job to pay for al the ( I want that ) bits 😬

18 hours ago, johninderby said:

Zoom eyepieces are a useful addition to your eyepiece set. Not as a replacement for fixed focal length eyepieces but are convenient  to start an observing session with as you can play around with the zoom setting to find the most useful mag for thst nights seeing conditions before switching to a fixed focal length eyepiece.

Thanks for the info,  much appreciated

I have the 7-21 version.  Haven't compared it to anything else but here are my taught. Fov can be a bit restricted at the lower power. I mainly use for planets, moon and some bright dso.  Contrast is a bit lacklustre,  when compared to fixed eyepieces and sharpness is compromised at higher mag. 

• 2 weeks later...

My new Svbony 7.2-21.6 zoom has a wider field of view than my other 2, and its just as well built in every way.  But I haven't had the weather to give it anything but a quick test run, I sure am looking forward to it in my various size refractors.

BEFE2C68-CCB1-4B69-9B8A-C7E374EC5FA3.thumb.jpeg.d1a6d31f7f6f02df91e10eb359636004.jpeg

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

I  use a 7-21 zoom on the PST. It makes for a compact arrangement.

This is the newer 7.2-21.6, it has a wider FOV, I use all my zooms on my PST and now my 40mm Lunt solar scope.  They work perfectly on the sun in conjunction with various filters.

• 5 weeks later...
On 16/10/2021 at 17:35, LDW1 said:

My new Svbony 7.2-21.6 zoom has a wider field of view than my other 2, and its just as well built in every way.  But I haven't had the weather to give it anything but a quick test run, I sure am looking forward to it in my various size refractors.

BEFE2C68-CCB1-4B69-9B8A-C7E374EC5FA3.thumb.jpeg.d1a6d31f7f6f02df91e10eb359636004.jpeg

Any updates on this? Looks like a nice piece of kit...

The weather for the last month has still been basicly terrible for viewing, I have given it a couple quick trys because I am anxious to try it but nothing yet to report, no comparisons with the other two. Orion and Auriga are quickly moving into position earlier in the evening towards zenith.  Heres hoping !