Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can anyone tell me the app used to map a obstructed horizon? Pic attached

mrflib

Cheers mate, it's more specifically trying to map out the trees and buildings around my garden which cause me the most grief. I know there are good windows for many objects passing through the gaps. I need to snipe them.

• Like 1

I think that you can make your own image of horizon to be included in Stellarium.

Just snap couple of actual images of your horizon and then follow this tutorial (for example - I'm sure there are other tutorials on how to do that as well):

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/diy/stellarium-how-to-create-a-customised-landscape/

2 hours ago, vlaiv said:

I think that you can make your own image of horizon to be included in Stellarium.

Just snap couple of actual images of your horizon and then follow this tutorial (for example - I'm sure there are other tutorials on how to do that as well):

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/diy/stellarium-how-to-create-a-customised-landscape/

I used those instructions successfully, along with the "single panorama method" in http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Customising_Landscapes. 

Then I spent a long time adjusting the height.

To construct the initial panorama, I took multiple overlapping shots (I have a Star Discovery mount that makes this easy) and stitched them using Hugin.

• Like 1

If you don't have a 360 camera, just use your phone. google camera does it automatically:

https://blog.kuula.co/making-360-photos-with-a-smartphone

or else plenty other options. Once uoi have equirectangular photo you can add to stars app - I use safari for example. I did one 'high' with my tripod extended, and one low, both from where I set up. So I can see any time what I can see and when. works a treat.

For example, here's the plan for tonight if it's clear enough - asi533/14mm lens.

Screenshot_20210910_195216_com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari6plus.thumb.jpg.1c7a4beec6bd004546f8ff17067e39bb.jpg

I did my stellarium landscape with a very wide angle lens on a DSLR in portrait orientation, it was the only  way to get the features in , my garden is very small ! The camera (I think I used the old nikon D40) had a panorama mode which appears to turn a short movie into a panoramic jpeg.  Then some photoshoppage to turn it into a suitable format (one which allows transparency) eradicate the sky (making it transparent, so the stars can show through ) , construct the file to set the thing up, and Robert's your mother's brother , just some annoying faff with 'rotatez' or whatever it was called to get north lined up with north .

Trouble is, I need to do a new photo now because that accursed tree has grown in the year since I took this one ...

.stellariumbackground.thumb.jpg.c97e877ef15ebbc876c3e9ed59bf11e0.jpg

I found this video really useful;

Although he is using the panorama for Ekos, everything he does to create the 360 panorama is a generic process and he explains the different software you can use. 

5 hours ago, mrflib said:

Found this on a Cloudy Nights post. I have a very heavily obstructed horizon - it would be great to be able to map out what I can see and when I'd be able to see it.

Cheers

post-260906-0-48735800-1591676254.jpg

I used an app called Observer Pro to do horizons for SkySafari, worked very well. Select Sites, add site, local horizon, measure, then tap the screen when ready to go, point the red dot at the horizon and pan around 360 degrees then click done. You can import these into SkySafari but I can’t recall how right now. Somewhere on the forum someone, possibly @AdeKing ran through how to do this properly.

7BB33D36-FCAC-4BFA-A845-3634724CC186.png

D1639733-5978-4472-93B5-03F6B7AFD1E4.png

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

some photoshoppage to turn it into a suitable format (one which allows transparency) eradicate the sky (making it transparent, so the stars can show through )

Good point - I forgot to mention that. It took forever, I used a "fill" function but it didn't get all the gaps between tree branches, so I had to keep applying it.

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I need to do a new photo now because that accursed tree has grown

I have the opposite problem - I've been pruning my tree!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zermelo said:

Good point - I forgot to mention that. It took forever, I used a "fill" function but it didn't get all the gaps between tree branches, so I had to keep applying it.

I have the opposite problem - I've been pruning my tree!

For an easier job selecting and deleting the sky (I use a very old offline version of phototoshop) and to  avoid shadows confusing the situation, I took my photograph on a reasonably bright but very overcast day, so the sky was a fairly uniform grey and I could set the photoshop  selection tool to a suitable tolerance (and non -contiguous) so it would do 95% of the work of disposing of  the sky for me .

I'd dearly love to prune that tree , unfortunately it belongs to the house behind mine . My hope is that, as it is very fast growing , it will be a species which lives fast & dies young ...

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Can anyone tell me the app used to map a obstructed horizon? Pic attached