NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and saturn 5th sept

neil phillips

Seeing still a bit wobbly. But setup early. And worked at it for a while, untill Jupiter hit the opposing roof. ( just as the GRS was coming around ) 

Still its the best ive got for sometime clearly. Got a few to go through but heres a couple of quick and dirty processes. 

Some quite fine detail coming through on jupiter. Orion 245mm Newtonian QHY462C Camera. SW EQ5 Mount ZWO ADC Celestron omni 2x barlow screwed directly into the ADC. Really need a better quality 2x barlow that screws directly in if anyone knows of one. Preferably ED glass. colour corrected

Saturn 21:12 UT Jupiter 22:59 UT 

21 12 UT 5TH SEPT.png c.png 2.png smooth.png

jupiter 5th sept.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, si@nite said:

Super captures Neil, very tidy Saturn shot too, still blankets of cloud this end hope it will clear soon!

Its been a tough season Simon hasnt it. I had to wait weeks. just to get another reasonable Jupiter shot. UK weather has not been kind. Dont give up still time to catch more. Hope it clears for you soon. 

2 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Nice images Neil. I was all set up for the Jupiter transition, and then a blanket of cloud appeared and wiped my southerly view. Ah well.

Chris

Been there done that Chris. I feel your pain. It consistently has done that to me too. Not last night was a exception. As i said to Simon. Dont give up Chris. Still time. Hope you get some joy soon. 

Edited by neil phillips

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Been there done that Chris. I feel your pain. It consistently has done that to me too. Not last night was a exception. As i said to Simon. Dont give up Chris. Still time. Hope you get some joy soon. 

Well, I've been an amateur astronomer for 50+ years, and the ghastly climate hasn't put me off yet! I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet of noteworthy astro happenings and I reckon rain/cloud stopped play on about 70% of occasions!

Chris

40 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Well, I've been an amateur astronomer for 50+ years, and the ghastly climate hasn't put me off yet! I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet of noteworthy astro happenings and I reckon rain/cloud stopped play on about 70% of occasions!

Chris

Agreed Chris you have to be stubborn to be a planetary imager in the UK. Occasionaly it pays off. 

42 minutes ago, morimarty said:

I'm really liking the jupiter images Neil you have captured some lovely detail on jupiter and on ganymede.

Hi Martyn thanks for the nice comments. Its has surprised me pulling out this much detail with seeing far from great. A heat or jet stream was around pretty much all night. It varied between quite bad and a little calmer. Despite a jet stream map showing no stream.  So i am guessing those calmer moments are allowing the detail through. Really concentrating on focusing helps. A 10" scope on a EQ5 mount. is not exactly focusing friendly. But you can see when its close to focus. Once the wobbling stops. I was seeing live. thin bands under wobbly seeing. Hope i am still kicking next year. The scope seems to be doing alright since i fitted the new secondary realigned the focuser and mirrors. 

4 hours ago, stuy said:

Some lovely images Neil 😳! I’ve been lucky I’ve had outstanding seeing here in wales last couple of clear nights best thing I’ve done was to build another observatory 😉

Stuy i would kill for a obs. As someone who has to setup from scratch every time i image. I think your approach has benefits. My back is testament 

• Like 1

You have some lovely images posted in this thread Neil. And as Angie says the second Saturn is really doing it for me too. It's interesting using the R6 white balance as i'm just processing last nights saturn and I am finding it is giving similar results to your findings.👍

1 minute ago, morimarty said:

You have some lovely images posted in this thread Neil. And as Angie says the second Saturn is really doing it for me too. It's interesting using the R6 white balance as i'm just processing last nights saturn and I am finding it is giving similar results to your findings.👍

Great news Glad you had some joy last Night Martyn. Look foward to seeing your shots. I remember how good your early saturns were. Its interesting. I was using a ADC but the quality not as good as my other Saturn shot without ADC Under better seeing. Goes to show seeing is everything. 

5 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Yep both me and Simon finally managed to get out last night first time in well over a month. Also I totally agree with you Neil. Seeing is everything in this hobby of ours.

Sounds like seeing was better than the day before, when i imaged. Had so much data needed time to sort it, so never went out. Glad Simon had some joy too. its been tough for everyone recently. Sorted it now though. Trying again tonight. will look out for both yours and Simons posts. Have a feeling they are going to be good. 

• Like 1