NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Homemade dual speed focuser for less than 5 euro😂

39 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hmmm, how is that dual speed, it’s just a bigger knob on the single speed….. 🤔🤔

Cardboard off, first speed, cardboard on second speed. In fact with the slippage that is likely to occur when turning it, the speed is infinitely variable.😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Cardboard off, first speed, cardboard on second speed. In fact with the slippage that is likely to occur when turning it, the speed is infinitely variable.😉

I don’t think so…..all the cardboard does, is make it easier to turn slower, but this can still be done with origonal knob, with steady hand, so not two speed at all…. 😉

4 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Grab the original focuser - one speed

Grab the cardboard - 2 speed.

Obviously its not a true two speed gear focuser, just didnt have a more appropriate name for it😁

28 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

What do you mean?

With your permission...

403832319_SGLdrawtube.JPG.5c8c6d40150d47fe3c816a15307fb163.JPG

It appears as this plastic draw-tube of my own, and where I had removed the chrome plating...

drawtubes2.jpg.6ad8f969473fd04736f26932b5767aa6.jpg

...same color.  Although, I see that the surrounding walls within your image are about the same colour, but it's still puzzling.

5 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

It's all in the marketing campaign , and wait until you see it painted in red . I'm putting my money down now :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

With your permission...

403832319_SGLdrawtube.JPG.5c8c6d40150d47fe3c816a15307fb163.JPG

It appears as this plastic draw-tube of my own, and where I had removed the chrome plating...

drawtubes2.jpg.6ad8f969473fd04736f26932b5767aa6.jpg

...same color.  Although, I see that the surrounding walls within your image are about the same colour, but it's still puzzling.

Ah, yeah thats how it looks. Its not chrome

3 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

Ah, yeah thats how it looks. Its not chrome

This is the chrome-plated plastic draw-tube of my "AstroMaster" focusser...

focusser17b.jpg.b7162eb7bbe029661a116a20c2ac878e.jpg

What happened to your own?  Did the focusser's housing scrape it all off?  Did you receive it that way?  Did you purchase it new, or used?  If used, then I could understand it better, but not fully.  Like, I would wonder as to what the previous owner(s) did to it.

That's pretty far out, like beyond the galaxy in Andromeda.

3 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

This is the chrome-plated plastic draw-tube of my "AstroMaster" focusser...

focusser17b.jpg.b7162eb7bbe029661a116a20c2ac878e.jpg

What happened to your own?  Did the focusser's housing scrape it all off?  Did you receive it that way?  Did you purchase it new, or used?  If used, then I could understand it better, but not fully.  Like, I would wonder as to what the previous owner(s) did to it.

That's pretty far out, like beyond the galaxy in Andromeda.

No, bought it new, thats how it was from day one. Why, does it affect views or something?

1 minute ago, Buqibu said:

No, bought it new, thats how it was from day one. Why, does it affect views or something?

No, it won't affect the views, I hope.  The reason I say that is because I don't like my own...

focusser14b.jpg.42f7e9ed044690359048918f12fc6958.jpg

It looks like a sports car, no? <vroom vroom>

It has tongues...

focusser9c.jpg.8c206d398496109728e50aca2a4968f2.jpg

Say ahhhhhhh...

focusser8b.jpg.e5ff11da740e6244dff6b191caa00995.jpg

It's an odd, proprietary design, and I can't render the draw-tube straight and true, and with no slop.  As a result, it's not lined up, collimated, with the doublet-lens at the front of the optical-tube.  I've been meaning to contact Celestron, and to ask for a normal, standard, traditional focusser from their "PowerSeeker" refractor line.  I can improve those, but not those of the "AstroMaster" refractors.

I would be smoking-hot over that denuded draw-tube, but as long as you're happy with it.

• Like 1

No, it won't affect the views, I hope.  The reason I say that is because I don't like my own...

focusser14b.jpg.42f7e9ed044690359048918f12fc6958.jpg

It looks like a sports car, no? <vroom vroom>

It has tongues...

focusser9c.jpg.8c206d398496109728e50aca2a4968f2.jpg

Say ahhhhhhh...

focusser8b.jpg.e5ff11da740e6244dff6b191caa00995.jpg

It's an odd, proprietary design, and I can't render the draw-tube straight and true, and with no slop.  As a result, it's not lined up, collimated, with the doublet-lens at the front of the optical-tube.  I've been meaning to contact Celestron, and to ask for a normal, standard, traditional focusser from their "PowerSeeker" refractor line.  I can improve those, but not those of the "AstroMaster" refractors.

I would be smoking-hot over that denuded draw-tube, but as long as you're happy with it.

Yeah, Celestron cut a lot of corners with these entry level refractors. Not worth the headache, it does the job fine. Plus I checked Celestron's website, this particular 102az model does not have a chrome draw tube, so its not like I got cheated or anything.

6 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

Yeah, Celestron cut a lot of corners with these entry level refractors. Not worth the headache, it does the job fine. Plus I checked Celestron's website, this particular 102az model does not have a chrome draw tube, so its not like I got cheated or anything.

My bad, and my apologies, as I think that the draw-tube of yours is of metal, aluminum perhaps, silvery and sort of a frosted finish.

• Like 1

My bad, and my apologies, as I think that the draw-tube of yours is of metal, aluminum perhaps, silvery and sort of a frosted finish.

Maybe! May I ask what astromaster version you have?

By the way, it appears that your focusser is a 2".  With a 2" star-mirror diagonal, you can get a 2" 38mm 70° eyepiece, and for an immersive, wide view.

I have one 2" eyepiece, only, a 32mm 70°, but it rarely gets used.  It's a bit of a keepsake, as my late father had seen the galaxy in Andromeda for the first time through it...

32mmc.jpg.b978f761f1d24578a6a37ba3f8b0bcda.jpg

2 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

Maybe! May I ask what astromaster version you have?

4c.jpg.0aa113a60517b653b1324a38191fa128.jpg

It's this one, and that I had purchased in 2016...

https://www.celestron.com/products/astromaster-70eq-telescope

It has a very good doublet-lens, which is why I'm wanting to get a better focusser for it.  With that one, there is very little if any false-colour to be seen when viewing brighter objects.  I prefer long-focus refractors, and for that reason.  Also, the long focal-length plays well with my eyepieces.

Meade is, or rather was, Celestron's competitor, and just after Orion bought the company and its assets last June, I was able to get another 70mm f/12.9, a Meade, just the OTA, and to replace the Celestron if I can't get another focusser for it.  This Meade's focusser is standard, traditional...

kit.jpg.5f7973d093d4335132939f5ac2ce5668.jpg

1 minute ago, Alan64 said:

4c.jpg.0aa113a60517b653b1324a38191fa128.jpg

It's this one, and that I had purchased in 2016...

https://www.celestron.com/products/astromaster-70eq-telescope

It has a very good doublet-lens, which is why I'm wanting to get a better focusser for it.  With that one, there is very little if any false-colour to be seen when viewing brighter objects.  I prefer long-focus refractors, and for that reason.  Also, the long focal-length plays well with my eyepieces.

Meade is, or rather was, Celestron's competitor, and just after Orion bought the company and its assets last June, I was able to get another 70mm f/12.9, a Meade, just the OTA, and to replace the Celestron if I can't get another focusser for it.  This Meade's focusser is standard, traditional...

kit.jpg.5f7973d093d4335132939f5ac2ce5668.jpg

Very nice! Yeah, even my short f6.5 refractor doesn't have too much false colour to speak of. I see you've also upgraded the mount, thats probably a very good idea considering the mount if the weakest part of these scopes. 

• Like 1