NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which lithium power tank?

Ags

Looking at these two - Bresser 155 Wh Bresser Mobile Power Station, or Celestron Power Tank Lithium LiFePO4 (84 Wh). Tending towards the Bresser as it is cheaper, has more capacity and has a mains outlet to keep my laptop running. Also I hear the Celestron can only power the USB ports OR the 12V outlet, not both simultaneously. 

On the other hand I think only the Celestron option uses LFP battery technology which is safer and has much longer life.

Does anyone have experience of either?

celestron-powertank-lithium-lifepo4.jpg bresser-3810000-a-power-station.jpg

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p9075_Celestron-Powertank-Lithium-LiFePO4---12-V---3-A---nur-1-kg-leicht.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p12444_Bresser-Mobile-Power-Station-100-Watt.html

Edited by Ags

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Tending towards the Bresser as it is cheaper, has more capacity and has a mains outlet to keep my laptop running.

But

Delivery acc. to manufacturer: 15.01.2022 (171 days)
Anlieferung laut Hersteller: 15.01.2022 (171 Tage)

:(

• Like 1

I have the celestron and works well for my needs and it was the greenest battery choice which was a decision factor. If buying again I would probably look for the certification that enables flight travel use as well.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

I'm also looking at the Celestron for my AZ-GTi, and was similarly disappointed to read about the USB ports. Seems rather silly that they don't all work at once.

That said, it looks like a good fit for the AZ-GTi and I like how portable it would be. I also want to run a dew strip controller with pass through power to the mount, but haven't done the figuring out yet to see if it has enough amperage. 

3 hours ago, Ags said:

you're right, the Bresser is practically unobtainable!

I am also thinking "need psu, will travel", so I noted your post pop up into my awareness ;)
Went to uk sites , oh ! 
then to your eu  link , oh dear oh !

It does annoy me that I google on things and continually waste time with, for example Amazon, " we dont know when .." blah blah, so take the stupid page down, dont waste my time if they have nothing to sell !
end hissy fit :)

Hence my signal to you, just in case :)

On 28/07/2021 at 22:42, Ags said:

Looking at these two - Bresser 155 Wh Bresser Mobile Power Station, or Celestron Power Tank Lithium LiFePO4 (84 Wh). Tending towards the Bresser as it is cheaper, has more capacity and has a mains outlet to keep my laptop running. Also I hear the Celestron can only power the USB ports OR the 12V outlet, not both simultaneously. 

On the other hand I think only the Celestron option uses LFP battery technology which is safer and has much longer life.

Does anyone have experience of either?

celestron-powertank-lithium-lifepo4.jpg bresser-3810000-a-power-station.jpg

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p9075_Celestron-Powertank-Lithium-LiFePO4---12-V---3-A---nur-1-kg-leicht.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p12444_Bresser-Mobile-Power-Station-100-Watt.html

I have the celestron on the left, and i would never recommend anyone even consider buying it. Complete piece of toxic junk.

It can NOT supply the rated 3A it states, at least my unit cannot. Since it has an internal smart circuit it decides if it supplies power or not, not you. It randomly cut off power during GO-TOs with my relatively low power EQM-35PRO. I am able to replicate this issue 100% of the time by quickly changing direction of slewing. Also the power supply cuts off if the current is too low, like when supplying power for my flat field light panel that has a very low power consumption LED. The LED is on for 10 seconds an then the power is cut off due to being too low. Also you cannot use the USB ports at the same time as the DC output, it is one or the other.

Oh and the flip up dust cover permanently came off after just a couple of uses (some plastic broke inside). Complete waste. Your mileage may vary though, just my experience with the product.

11 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I have the celestron on the left, and i would never recommend anyone even consider buying it. Complete piece of toxic junk.

It can NOT supply the rated 3A it states, at least my unit cannot. Since it has an internal smart circuit it decides if it supplies power or not, not you. It randomly cut off power during GO-TOs with my relatively low power EQM-35PRO. I am able to replicate this issue 100% of the time by quickly changing direction of slewing. Also the power supply cuts off if the current is too low, like when supplying power for my flat field light panel that has a very low power consumption LED. The LED is on for 10 seconds an then the power is cut off due to being too low. 

Yes unfortunately this is a downside to this small Powertank.
I have the larger version and cannot fault it. Again if you use the 5.5/2.1 mm plug for power it also has the same issue that it turns off if power draw is very low. I had this when using it to power my flat field generator and kept finding that the last of my flats were just wrong because the panel had switched off.
Fortunately on the larger unit there is a second 12V outlet using a cigarette type connector and that is always on and does not get switched off with low current. Also can use USB ports at same time.

So I would certainly reccomend THIS one.
image.png.01723ff08381c1d3af7de971af7315e9.png

Steve

I also have the larger version of the Celestron and experienced none of the problems experienced by @ONIKKINEN It’s an excellent bit of kit and easily powers an EQ6 R Pro with 3 dew strips for two nights of about 5 hours each. Expensive but I would recommend it 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I also have the larger version of the Celestron and experienced none of the problems experienced by @ONIKKINEN It’s an excellent bit of kit and easily powers an EQ6 R Pro with 3 dew strips for two nights of about 5 hours each. Expensive but I would recommend it 

Good to know the larger one can power the EQ6R-Pro! I assume you're using a dew strip controller of some kind as well with your three dew strips?

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Good to know the larger one can power the EQ6R-Pro! I assume you're using a dew strip controller of some kind as well with your three dew strips?

Yes , I use a controller and a cigarette socket splitter so just one cable into the battery 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Yes unfortunately this is a downside to this small Powertank.
I have the larger version and cannot fault it. Again if you use the 5.5/2.1 mm plug for power it also has the same issue that it turns off if power draw is very low. I had this when using it to power my flat field generator and kept finding that the last of my flats were just wrong because the panel had switched off.
Fortunately on the larger unit there is a second 12V outlet using a cigarette type connector and that is always on and does not get switched off with low current. Also can use USB ports at same time.

So I would certainly reccomend THIS one.
image.png.01723ff08381c1d3af7de971af7315e9.png

Steve

I was looking at this too, but decided to not spend a cent on Celestron products if possible.

For not that much more cost you can get a proper power station like a Jackery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Outdoors/dp/B08RNPYLQW?ref_=ast_sto_dp

AC output on the field, regulated power outputs from every socket etc. I dont have a Jackery but do have one like it from another brand (ecoflow river). One of the better purchase decisions i have made.

10 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I was looking at this too, but decided to not spend a cent on Celestron products if possible.

For not that much more cost you can get a proper power station like a Jackery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Outdoors/dp/B08RNPYLQW?ref_=ast_sto_dp

AC output on the field, regulated power outputs from every socket etc. I dont have a Jackery but do have one like it from another brand (ecoflow river). One of the better purchase decisions i have made.

Looks good. A bit more power which is always useful,  the inverter at 200W (0.8 A)  shold be fine to charge laptops so very handy.
Only real downside is you cannot take it on a plane but then that will not affect many people, certainly at this moment in time.

I must admit if I hadn't got mine for under £100 as it was included with my scope I bought 2nd hand I would also look at alternatives as it is very pricey.

Certainly worth looking at 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

I use a Tracer 12V 7Ah LiFePO4 Battery ( https://www.tracerpower.com/tracer-12v-7ah-lifepo4-battery-2.html ) to power a 4 channel controller which regulates the mirror fan and 3 dew heaters (Rigel finder, astrosystems secondary mirror, 2" ep which I actually use for the RACI finder). The battery is light and small. It fits in the rocker box of my 16" without any issue. I charge it two times per year, because it is advisable, rather than because it runs out.

It's a great device in my opinion. I want to get a cable to power USB devices too, but always forget..

• Like 1

I went for the Talentcell battery in the end. It's not the greenest option, but it should last me a very long time with my level of usage, and a rechargeable battery of any type has to be greener than disposable AAs, right?

Issue with the Talentcell is that it is not 12V regulated, so I would like to get a regulator if possible... Can anyone recommend one?

Can I use the power cord that comes with the Talentcell or do I need to get a special cable?

On 30/07/2021 at 17:58, johninderby said:

Second the Tracer LiFeP04 batteries. 👍🏻

Fortunately have some that I use for other purposes so no need to buy one for astro use. 🙂

63DA2BCD-38CA-48D4-A330-1850655A0C84.jpeg

This is intriguing... what are these non-astro uses??