Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power adapters for Canon EOS cameras

I find the battery in my EOS750D tends to run down when I am taking sequences of subs. Does anyone know if it's possible to rig up some kind of mains power to the camera so I don't have to worry about it?

5 minutes ago, StuartT said:

I find the battery in my EOS750D tends to run down when I am taking sequences of subs. Does anyone know if it's possible to rig up some kind of mains power to the camera so I don't have to worry about it?

One of these   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/lanparte-lp-e17-dummy-battery-pack.html

26 minutes ago, StuartT said:

You need one of the dummy batteries linked above plus a 8V DC power supply. The 8V output can be found on dedicated powerbox such as the ones made by Pegasus Astro or Hitec Astro, dew controller like the ones made by Lynx Astro or DIY.

• Like 1

I use a dummy battery in mine. This is then powered by a dedicated battery power pack. The advantage of this is no mains power needed. I can image all night with this. I posted it on here somewhere. I will take a look.

8 hours ago, StuartT said:

I use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-ACK-E18-Battery-Adapter-Charger/dp/B076CK6JPF. It's available from several different suppliers.

I use a USB powered one for my 600D and run it from a powered hub, but you can also run it on a simple USB powerpack.

ACK-E8 USB Power Kit AC Adapter Replacement LP-E8 DR-E8: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This is an equivalent for the 750D which runs off two USB outputs to achieve the required power.

Andoer Dual USB DR-E17 Battery Adapter compatible with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

oh boy! Fantastic! Thanks everyone. 

I guess I was thinking of something powered off the Nevada PSU that powers my mount, but that's 12V not 8V. Still, looks like I have plenty of options available 🙂

11 hours ago, malc-c said:

I just used a dummy battery housing wired to an 8.5v power supply (DIY using a standard 7805 regulator fed from the 13.8v supply to the scope) to power my 400D

Actually, maybe I can use the same 12V PSU as my mount uses then? I'd really rather not have yet another mains device to have to find a plug for! What is a 7805 regulator? Is that a transformer? 

Edited by StuartT

That's how I run mine.  12v comes into a small plastic hobby box, and is then split.  12v out to the mount, and then 12v to a small but of strip board with a 7805 regulator on it.  The output then runs to the dummy battery, which was a normal battery but with the cells carefully removed.

The 7885 (sorry) is a linear voltage regulator that basically drops 12v to 8.5v For example

I can't find the website I followed (well it was a decade ago) but there are plenty of examples on the net.  Just be carful removing the old cells form the battery.  This basically sums things up - although Maplin are no longer around, so the parts list is obsolete, but it gives you the idea. https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/201051-diy-canon-dslr-dc-psu/  - I didn't use the veillman kit,.  just the regulator - I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow if that helps

For what it's worth I bought an adaptor for my eos 70d from amazon and it's been brilliant. No more stalled plans in APT due to the battery dying suddenly.  (it's all inside my observatory with mains power though. Maybe someone will do one with a 12v - 8v transformer

Graeme

I used a dummy battery connected to the powered USB hub on my mount to power my EOS 1300D. It didn't show 100% charge in APT, only around 80% IIRC, but it ran all night down to -5°C in the winter without any problems.

I now have Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance to power everything. This has one variable voltage connection for a DLSR camera dummy battery, as well a four other 12v connections, USB3 ports and a couple of ports for dew heaters. It means I only need one 12v lead and one USB3 cable going to the mount. Not a cheap option I grant you, but really saves on setup time as I can leave all the cables and the Powerbox on the mount when stored. ;) 

17 hours ago, StuartT said:

oh boy! Fantastic! Thanks everyone. 

I guess I was thinking of something powered off the Nevada PSU that powers my mount, but that's 12V not 8V. Still, looks like I have plenty of options available 🙂

Actually, maybe I can use the same 12V PSU as my mount uses then? I'd really rather not have yet another mains device to have to find a plug for! What is a 7805 regulator? Is that a transformer? 

The 78xx is a series of (old) linear voltage regulator IC's. The 7805 provides a 5V output but a 7808 version is available that provides an 8V supply which would be suitable for a Canon 750D.  It would operate OK from a 12V input supply but you would also need to include input and output decoupling capacitors as well as something to dissipate the heat generated in the IC and I'm not sure if the maximum 1 amp output rating would be enough.

53 minutes ago, Seelive said:

The 78xx is a series of (old) linear voltage regulator IC's. The 7805 provides a 5V output but a 7808 version is available that provides an 8V supply which would be suitable for a Canon 750D.  It would operate OK from a 12V input supply but you would also need to include input and output decoupling capacitors as well as something to dissipate the heat generated in the IC and I'm not sure if the maximum 1 amp output rating would be enough.

To be honest I never bothered with the decoupling capacitor or any cap/resistor combo as there is little need to drop the output in the same way you would for using a linear regulator to supply a micro controller etc.  In this case you're emulating a battery so it doesn't really matter if the transient voltage decays slowly.

Here's a couple of images as promised.  It uses a 7885 8.5v 1A regulator to drop the 12v input to 8.5v for the camera.  If the OP's battery is rated at 8v then a 7808 would be required.   I do use a small heatsink.  This has worked for me for a good 8 years or more....never had a problem

Ignore the other modules, these were LEDs dimmers used to drive dew heaters, which are not used at the moment as they never really worked that well.

S3010001.JPG.6a5bebd4a1ec4d85f4f99eff4b897477.JPG

S3010002.JPG.644ac83a1986384c125ba3285e200ccb.JPG

S3010003.JPG.fdff01fe6bd732f71876d73370322488.JPG

Edited by malc-c

I use a usb powered converter off AliExpress and power  off a 12v powered usb3 hub used it for a few years now cost about £16 , I have two one for canon one for my Nikon , something like this though looks like their cheaper now , just make sure you get the one to match your camera model .

Edited by bottletopburly

these days, and for this application I wouldn't use old analogue 78 series regulators tbh. Use one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393101687463?hash=item5b86afbaa7:g:hTsAAOSw~Jhf1f29

it's far more efficient - no heat - and easily adjustable and clean.

I use them all the time, and have them in use for my custom built power hub for example. you can set the voltage up to 8.4v (thats 2s lithium ion fully charged which is what your camera battery is), but I set em to 8.2 - it will show on camera as about 80% charge.. but of course will never go down.

If you can't solder, look for ones with screw terminals such as this one (a bit more fancy as it has current limit):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144018428033?hash=item21882ad081:g:0UUAAOSwZVhgg7uR

stu

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

these days, and for this application I wouldn't use old analogue 78 series regulators tbh. Use one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393101687463?hash=item5b86afbaa7:g:hTsAAOSw~Jhf1f29

it's far more efficient - no heat - and easily adjustable and clean.

I use them all the time, and have them in use for my custom built power hub for example. you can set the voltage up to 8.4v (thats 2s lithium ion fully charged which is what your camera battery is), but I set em to 8.2 - it will show on camera as about 80% charge.. but of course will never go down.

If you can't solder, look for ones with screw terminals such as this one (a bit more fancy as it has current limit):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144018428033?hash=item21882ad081:g:0UUAAOSwZVhgg7uR

stu

That would work....

I’ve rather lost where this thread has gone as I don’t know anything about electronics. I have just bought a dummy LPe17 battery from FLO and will plug it into my dew controller’s second output.

no need to build anything!

6 hours ago, malc-c said:

To be honest I never bothered with the decoupling capacitor or any cap/resistor combo as there is little need to drop the output in the same way you would for using a linear regulator to supply a micro controller etc.  In this case you're emulating a battery so it doesn't really matter if the transient voltage decays slowly.

Here's a couple of images as promised.  It uses a 7885 8.5v 1A regulator to drop the 12v input to 8.5v for the camera.  If the OP's battery is rated at 8v then a 7808 would be required.   I do use a small heatsink.  This has worked for me for a good 8 years or more....never had a problem

Just to point out, the 78xx regulators do require an output capacitor of about 10uF to keep them stable. Without it, the internal amp can (and often does) oscillate. You may have got away without it blowing up but is it oscillating? It's not an optional component on the spec sheets.

On 25/06/2021 at 23:55, StuartT said:

I’ve rather lost where this thread has gone as I don’t know anything about electronics. I have just bought a dummy LPe17 battery from FLO and will plug it into my dew controller’s second output.

no need to build anything!

Ok, maybe I spoke too soon! My dew controller is putting out 12V (as that is what my Nevada PSU is supplying it with, because the EQ6R pro requires 12V). Whereas the Canon battery is 7.2V

Hmm... not sure what to do now...

1 hour ago, Seelive said:

I did wonder but I assumed you had a Dew Controller with auxiliary 8V output.  You will need to buy an AC/DC adaptor with an output voltage between 7V and 8V such as this one https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp-pro/mp004759/adapter-ac-dc-7-5v-2a/dp/3497087

ok thanks. I guess I was hoping that I could avoid getting yet another mains transformer and use my dew controller instead.

46 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

My Nevada psu doesn’t have a usb socket tho.

i guess I’ll just have to get a mains adapter. 

thanks anyway