Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hubble trouble

Stu

38 minutes ago, johninderby said:

As they designed it with multiple levels of redundancy in case of failure of an individual component indeed lets hope their forward planning sorts it out. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

True enough, but it’s way past its planned operational life so they may well be running out of redundancy at some point. Both articles actually say similar things, the NASA one is just in less sensational language!

The day will come that they can not justify the expense of keeping it going.

It has been a spectacular piece of equipment and I hate to think of the day it is shut down.

It will just be another in a long line of machines that become obsolete even though they were great when needed. Unlike so many of those others, it was one of a kind!

Just now, maw lod qan said:

The day will come that they can not justify the expense of keeping it going.

It has been a spectacular piece of equipment and I hate to think of the day it is shut down.

It will just be another in a long line of machines that become obsolete even though they were great when needed. Unlike so many of those others, it was one of a kind!

JWST is launching this year, hopefully, so Hubble’s time will be up fairly soon I guess. Not sure when they plan to dw-orbit it, in a few year’s time I’ve read?

26 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Could be worse. Imagine if the computer had been made by Amstrad. 😁😁😁

They could fire the chap who made it?

James

Edited by JamesF

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

Hubbles orbit will start to decay in the 2030s so when that happens that’s the end anyway but hopefully it has a few good years left. 🙏🏼

They fitted a mechanism on the last Shuttle serving mission to give them options to capture and dept it it safely. I suspect they won’t be able to find it once JWST is launched but let’s hope so.

6 hours ago, JamesF said:

A "degrading memory module" may have caused the problem?  Sounds like a ZX81 with a bit of RAM pack wobble.

James

I remember those days!! 🤣🤣

• 4 weeks later...

See that NASA has announced that the problem has been resolved and Hubble is back in business. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

”This changeover was completed on Friday and the science instruments were returned to operational status over the weekend.”

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

See that NASA has announced that the problem has been resolved and Hubble is back in business. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

”This changeover was completed on Friday and the science instruments were returned to operational status over the weekend.”

I'd argue that the problem has not been resolved, but that switching to backup enables service to re-start.

I hope they continue to work on the failed equipment to see if there's hope for it, else if the backup fails...

22 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

I'd argue that the problem has not been resolved, but that switching to backup enables service to re-start.

I hope they continue to work on the failed equipment to see if there's hope for it, else if the backup fails...

At least Hubble is up and running again although it should be noted that Hubble has lasted far longer than it was expected to and so every year it is still operational is a bonus. It’s orbit is decaying which will destroy Hubble one day anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

At least Hubble is up and running again although it should be noted that Hubble has lasted far longer than it was expected to and so every year it is still operational is a bonus. It’s orbit is decaying which will destroy Hubble one day anyway.

Oh yes, it's been wonderful. I am often amazed by the work of a friend who analyses exoplanet atmospheres based on Hubble data. They have been been somewhat relived by return to service. The lucky sod also once had an office looking overlooking JWST construction. Jealous, me, oh no. Not at all. :D

On 16/06/2021 at 23:32, Stu said:

JWST is launching this year, hopefully, so Hubble’s time will be up fairly soon I guess. Not sure when they plan to dw-orbit it, in a few year’s time I’ve read?

Different sensors though, so I think they'll keep Hubble going for as long as possible. JWST is all infra-red to capture redshifted light. I really hope the Arianne launch goes well after all the delays and loose nuts and bolts.

I'd like to think SpaceX etc will have a high orbit collection system in place by the time it's time is done - what a great museum piece.