Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Darker skies...

Stu

I was up in Bakewell, Derbyshire this weekend seeing relatives, and had my scope with me (you know, the one I’m not supposed to mention by name). I had my Ercole and Gitzo, plus both solar and Astro options.

On Sunday afternoon I set up with Baader Coolwedge and binoviewers for a look at the current active regions. Seeing was so so, but still allowed some decent views of both AR2827 and 2828, plus also 2824 as an area of faculae on the limb.

The weather looked set to remain clear that night, so I swapped to Astro mode, and waited for it to get dark. Our hosts and my dear lady all retired by soon after 11pm, so I had an hour or two of peaceful observing under skies far better than I normal suffer, despite the lack of Astro darkness.

Home is normally mag 19.1 SQM, and I do not see the Milky Way. I didn’t take a measurement last night (foolishly because I had my SQM with me) but it must have been 20 ish I guess? Certainly I could see the Milky Way clearly although it was quite muted compared with a proper dark sky. At home I rarely see DSO targets in my finder, yet last night M13, M27 and even M51 showed up in the 9x50.

First off though, the Nova in Cass. Far easier to find than at home, with the diamond of stars including 4 Cass clear in the finder. I used the Leica Zoom which gives a range of x83 to x166, very handy. Foolishly I completely forgot about my Morpheus 12.5mm and didn’t try it at all! I put my estimate at 7.2, and took a few smartphone images for the record.

EDIT I should have mentioned, it was so nice to get M52 whilst looking at the Nova, from home this is all but invisible and it’s a lovely little cluster.

Then just a little tour around, M13, resolving quite well around the edges and a reasonable way into the core, sparkling more dramatically with averted vision.

M57 showing its lovely smoke ring, M27 much larger, pinched in the middle and the outer halo showing when adding the UHC filter in. I took in Brocchi’s cluster (the Coathanger) which looked less familiar with more stars showing, and Alberio was stunning as always.

My old favourite NGC 457 looked excellent in the Leica, and I finished off with this eyepiece on M51. This one is basically invisible from home, but so easy to find in this sky by dropping down from Alkaid. Two cores and accompanying haloes, not much more detail but wonderful to see. Then I swapped to my hand grenade; the 31mm Nagler.

I don’t really identify too many targets with this, I simply started at Sadr in Cygnus and just trawled about the wonderful star fields to be seen. I did pop in an OIII and tried for the Veil, but it wasn’t great to be honest. It was lower down in the sky with more light pollution. I saw East and West Veil but didn’t linger long, the star clusters were far more impressive, and sharp to the edge of the big Nag.

So, a fun and relaxing little session which shows that a 4” scope can be plenty of fun if the skies are reasonable. I am planning to move at the end of this month, and my skies should be at least as good as those last night, which will revolutionise my observing! I can’t wait 👍

• Like 26

Nice report Stu - good to get a scope under some darker skies I'll bet :smiley:

"..the one I’m not supposed to mention by name..."

Whats the secret - have I missed something :icon_scratch:

Last I recall you had 3 ~4 inch scopes - the Vixen, the Tak and the TV Genesis. Or do you have another now as well ? :smiley:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

Nice report Stu - good to get a scope under some darker skies I'll bet :smiley:

"..the one I’m not supposed to mention by name..."

Whats the secret - have I missed something :icon_scratch:

Last I recall you had 3 ~4 inch scopes - the Vixen, the Tak and the TV Genesis. Or do you have another now as well ? :smiley:

Thanks John, yes it’s just good to get under a better sky for once, it’s been a while. Even the seeing seemed better than normal at home.

Only teasing, I was using my Tak, they just seem to generate a fair amount of opinion these days so it’s often easier not to focus on that!

I’ve still got the Vixen and Genesis too, they aren’t going anywhere 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Only teasing, I was using my Tak, they just seem to generate a fair amount of opinion these days so it’s often easier not to focus on that!

I’ve still got the Vixen and Genesis too, they aren’t going anywhere 👍

I take your point - when I remember, I try and just use the aperture and scope type now.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, John said:

I take your point - when I remember, I try and just use the aperture and scope type now.

Can’t give us the slip that easily, John 🤣

Edited by JeremyS

As discussed Stu, several sites 30 minutes from Walton Green that are > SQM 20.69. When I arrived home after the meet-up a couple of weeks ago you could tell the difference in sky brightness. I was tempted to keep on viewing but school night.

"..the one I’m not supposed to mention by name..."

I thought you took the dob 😃

On 06/06/2021 at 21:24, wookie1965 said:

Well when I am 9n my feet properly again I have been invited to 3 different places two bortle 4 one even better so I cannot wait to take the Tal out. 

Great Report Stu really enjoyed the read. 

Bortle 2 Paul 👍

• Thanks 1

Just been to view a new to us cottage in snowdonia bortle 3. But it was terrible condition.  Got another viewing on a property Friday. Bortle 3 as well 

Hope you don't mind me putting this on here stu

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, faulksy said:

Just been to view a new to us cottage in snowdonia bortle 3. But it was terrible condition.  Got another viewing on a property Friday. Bortle 3 as well 

Hope you don't mind me putting this on here stu

Not at all Mike. Sounds good 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Voldermort..... 🤐

Or was that a Takahashi by any chance Stu? 😉

Maybe that’s what I should name it? Seems risky to mention the T word on here now! 😱🤣

• Haha 2