Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is ASI187MM worth buying for a 6" newt?

Hey guys! I'm not sure what to do. I currently have a t7c astro camera (asi120mc clone) and would like to get a better planetary camera. I'm eyeballing the ASI178MM as I've seen some amazing work done with it, but can't find anything substantial on using it with a 6" scope. My scope is a Skywatcher Explorer 150p and I usually use a 3x barlow as well as a svbony ir-pass (685nm) filter when doing high res lunar mosaics. I've seen some awesome work with 127mm scopes and the asi178mm which is why I can't wrap my head around what the results might look like. Will using an asi178mm give me a better result than the t7c when used on same focal lengths (2x, 3x barlows)? I understand that the resolution might be similar between "asi178mm + 2x" and "t7c + 3x" which could help me save time when doing huge mosaics, but is that all that I'd gain from this (not much better resolution?)?

Let me know please as I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Thanks!

You can find my work with the t7c here.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

If you properly use both cameras - you won't see great improvement.

ASI178mm is excellent camera - but ASI120 (and clones) - are fairly potent cameras as well.

I would rather concentrate on getting the most out of your current camera - and only if you are not satisfied of how it works for some reason - then change it.

Sharpness of the image has very little to do with camera used. It has more to do with the way you capture and process your images - and that is not likely to change when you change camera.

One thing to be careful about is diffraction limited field of Newtonian scope. Your scope is F/5 newtonian. It is quite fast scope. It has very small diffraction limited field - around 2-3mm in diameter. If you use x2 barlow (and at 685nm - optimum sampling rate for 3.75µm pixel size is F/11 - so it's better to use x2 barlow) - that is only around 5mm in diameter.

If you get camera with diagonal larger than that - coma will start to affect the corners. Btw - at 2.4µm and 685nm - optimum sampling rate requires even faster scope - F/7 scope - so its almost not worth using barlow at all.

Maybe best course of action would be to get 150PL Newtonian - F/8 version. That will be much better scope for Lunar imaging.

1 hour ago, jakicevichap said:

Alright, thanks for the input! I'm leaning towards getting it since my t7c sucks to be frank. It lived a good life, but never trust a clone to recover well from 60s subs... 💀😂

Hvala ti još jednom!

In that case - go for it.

I have ASI178mcc (color cooled version) and it is quite nice camera to work with.

Here is lunar mosaic that I did with that camera (102mm Sky Watcher Maksutov)

http://serve.trimacka.net/astro/Forum/2020-07-30/moon.png

(right click / open in new tab)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Another vote for the ASI178. I find it to be very sensitive. This was taken through my 10" Newt but in more skilled hands it would be better than this :)

Two downsides in my experience. Amp glow is a nuisance and dark frame calibration is essential, it's also a small sensor with small pixels. This image is uncropped. 

I've now expanded my family to include an ASI071 to address the above issues but, both cameras are great.

image.thumb.png.197e2e8bc981a19545acca2c5180802b.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...