NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AP - Is it insanity?

Astro Noodles

I'm continually debating myself about trying AP.  I can see both sides and especially her point about spectacular pix being just a Google and a click away.  But I live in a suburb of Chicago, so it might make sense to try EAA to overcome local light pollution even if I never have the time / energy / money to invest in hardcore AP.

There are also several remote imaging services like slooh.com for those who don't want or can't have their own AP kit.  You can set up an observing run and go off and do whatever (like sleep :wink2:) while the scope collects your photons to be processed when you desire.  I guess one could argue that's "not really doing AP" or something, but if professional astronomers can sit in an office and run a scope thousands of miles away, it's seems reasonable to me.

Or I could chuck it all and go back to train watching and modeling.  :grin:

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So my Skyguider pro has gone back to FLO and that means I am currently stuck with sub 20 sec subs. Not too much of a problem at the moment but I would like to get some serious time on Cygnus this season.

So I checked the old bank balance and I'm set to pull the trigger on either a WO ZS 61 or a Redcat. But I can't decide between them so I asked the missus.

After manslpaining at length about the pros and cons of each, she said. "To get the kinds of images you want, you need that thing that you sent back don't you?" I said Yes. She said "Wouldn't it be better to get the thing back first and check that it works?" I can't fault her sensibleness. Then she said "Look - it's your money, but if it's a dopamine hit you're after, surely you can think of a better way of getting it that doesn't involve hundreds of pounds and result in frustration." She's so sensible.

Edited by Astro Noodles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Astro Noodles said:

[...] but if it's a dopamine hit you're after, surely you can think of a better way of getting it that doesn't involve hundreds of pounds and result in frustration."

🤣  Outstanding!  Never thought of it like that...

2 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

It rotates too quickly. It was impossible to get more than 20 seconds without trailing with a 200mm camera lens.

Ahh ok...is it getting replaced or repaired?

Just now, callisto said:

Ahh ok...is it getting replaced or repaired?

They haven't said.

I did all the things I could do - re-installed the firmware, ran it through it's calibration routine a few times, swore at it etc.

I don't mind whether they replace or repair. :)

1 minute ago, Astro Noodles said:

They haven't said.

I did all the things I could do - re-installed the firmware, ran it through it's calibration routine a few times, swore at it etc.

I don't mind whether they replace or repair. :)

I'm sure they will do either/or :)....I use mine a lot with my 200mm Askar and its heavy, 1.8kg heavy but had no probs so far.

Hope you get sorted soon 👍

Mark

• Thanks 1

Astro Noodles,

I picked up this hobby, cause I had all of a sudden "plenty" of time no longer having to commute to work, "thanks" to covid-19. Since I started astrophotography I banged my head against whatever I could bang it against every time I tried a new piece of equipment. But apart from the headaches, I've been enjoying me like mad. And yes my results "suck", but they're my results, and an APOD is not and will never be my ambition, but that's because I am and always will be,

AstroRookie

PS: remember the  words from a famous astrophotographer" "Every thing is meaningless and ... D.O."

Edited by AstroRookie
  • Like 2

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and also don't see the point in taking image's of DSO,s, or galaxies just for the pretty picture considering the expense and time involved just for a pic even if it's a challenge. However if it's of scientific value, nova outbursts, comets, solar, variable stars, variable nebula or planetary observations where things change (and much more) then there is real value in amateur astronomy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and also don't see the point in taking image's of DSO,s, or galaxies just for the pretty picture considering the expense and time involved just for a pic even if it's a challenge. However if it's of scientific value, nova outbursts, comets, solar, variable stars, variable nebula or planetary observations where things change (and much more) then there is real value in amateur astronomy.

I agree to a certain extent. Astro-photography as a technical exercise seems fairly pointless. By far the most exciting and satisfying  thing I've imaged so far is the nova in Hercules on successive nights. 

It seems that astronomy is a hobby which can be enjoyed in many different ways.

• Like 1

Does astrophotography have to have scientific value to be a worthwhile pastime? Folks do portrait or landscape photography and nobody asks where is the science. For sure AP requires technical know how and equipment, but you can spend thousands on a complex ‘terrestrial’ camera and lenses if you want to. 
There is a lot of proper science done by amateur astrophotographers, e.g. SN, minor planet, comet hunting, photometry etc, but I’m willing to bet most set ups are used just to take pretty pictures.

• Like 5

As far as AP goes it's like any hobby. Some people will 'get it' & some people won't. I personally don't see the point in visual Astronomy but again each to there own.

AP for me isn't just about a 'pretty' picture, it's the thought that certain photons have been travelling at the speed of light, sometimes for as long a time as to have set off when dinosaur's walked the earth (some much longer) only to land on the sensor of my camera to build an image of the past. 

I find that pretty mind-blowing & that's part of what does it for me when it comes to imaging. I also actually like all the faff involved as well 😁

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, nephilim said:

AP for me isn't just about a 'pretty' picture

6 minutes ago, nephilim said:

I find that pretty mind-blowing & that's part of what does it for me

Here, here...I personally like to 'show off' my humble offerings to my family and friends and when I here them say "wow, look what dad/grandad has photographed" I have to admit my head swells just a bit 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nephilim said:

As far as AP goes it's like any hobby. Some people will 'get it' & some people won't. I personally don't see the point in visual Astronomy but again each to there own.

AP for me isn't just about a 'pretty' picture, it's the thought that certain photons have been travelling at the speed of light, sometimes for as long a time as to have set off when dinosaur's walked the earth (some much longer) only to land on the sensor of my camera to build an image of the past. 

I find that pretty mind-blowing & that's part of what does it for me when it comes to imaging. I also actually like all the faff involved as well 😁

Yeah, the photons: I'm as delighted that they landed on my retina as you are that they landed on a sensor.  But the immediacy of actually having a direct visual experience does it for me.

But it's great that AP-ers share their fantastic images!

Doug.

• Like 2

On 25/06/2021 at 21:02, Astro Noodles said:

Exactly.

A sense of having achieved something difficult.

Also, the equipment is really nice.

have often thought "if anything happens to me, some one is going to get a right bargain, as the good lady has no idea what all those scope things and them camera things actually cost when I bought them" maybe need to list them and leave it marked " will" !!! lol 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tonylumley said:

have often thought "if anything happens to me, some one is going to get a right bargain, as the good lady has no idea what all those scope things and them camera things actually cost when I bought them" maybe need to list them and leave it marked " will" !!! lol 

Joking aside, I have done precisely that, folks will still get some good deals when I expire, but Mrs Tomato won’t get taken for a ride.