NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Buzzing with excitement!

Kon

@Johnand @Stu when I observe nebulas with or without filter it is rarely just grey (the very large diffuse ones seem to my light grey); in my eyes i feel there is a predominant grey but with some shade of very very very light greenish or bluish . Eg M42, M57 or M1  as grey/greenish. Veil or Cat's eye as grey/blueish. Or is it the way i am interpreting the different shades of grey?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kon said:

@Johnand @Stu when I observe nebulas with or without filter it is rarely just grey (the very large diffuse ones seem to my light grey); in my eyes i feel there is a predominant grey but with some shade of very very very light greenish or bluish . Eg M42, M57 or M1  as grey/greenish. Veil or Cat's eye as grey/blueish. Or is it the way i am interpreting the different shades of grey?

I do see some colour in the brighter ones. I’ve seen greenish tints to M42 definitely, in scopes down to 4”. Actually this is easier to see when not fully dark adapted as your cones remain stimulated. The blinking planetary is greenish, the blue snowball is, errrr bluish 🤣.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kon said:

@jetstreamThanks for sharing your expertise and advise. I have a feeling I need to have a word with the banker (aka wife) 🤑 every time I read your suggestions 😉. I only had my telescope for less than 6 months and it has been amazing experience.

You need a place to sneak in your new purchases 😀

BUT heeding advice can be cheaper in the long run :grin: much cheaper...

btw, not just my advice.....

Ok , the other half is leaving for a bit...time to open the new ZWO camera box...:D

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, jetstream said:

You need a place to sneak in your new purchases 😀

BUT heeding advice can be cheaper in the long run :grin: much cheaper...

btw, not just my advice.....

Ok , the other half is leaving for a bit...time to open the new ZWO camera box...:D

Where do you hide a 24" dob Gerry? 😀 I have a theory why new EP's must be the most bought piece of astro kit, they just turn up in a small box, need to talk to FLO about putting "May Contain Clouds Inside" as give away.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Where do you hide a 24" dob Gerry? 😀 I have a theory why new EP's must be the most bought piece of astro kit, they just turn up in a small box, need to talk to FLO about putting "May Contain Clouds Inside" as give away.

Its all in the seacan lol!

I should have bought a 40 footer... the 20 foot is getting pretty cramped :D

Great report Kon! I can feel your excitement all the way over here👍 The Veil nebula must be awesome, I haven't tried observing it yet, your report has me giddy with anticipation! Well done.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Same here John. @faulksy may have the tiny benefit of using a 22” scope! 😉

your thinking of gerry now. mine is only 20". in all honesty stu i seen colour with my little 14 i had 😀

8 minutes ago, faulksy said:

your thinking of gerry now. mine is only 20". in all honesty stu i seen colour with my little 14 i had 😀

Ah, but Gerry’s is a 24”! Perhaps it was Damian I was thinking of?

Pretty impressive to see in a 14”, although I guess if skies are good enough it’s possible. I’ll likely have to console myself with a bit of green in M42 with my 4” peashooter 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ah, but Gerry’s is a 24”! Perhaps it was Damian I was thinking of?

Pretty impressive to see in a 14”, although I guess if skies are good enough it’s possible. I’ll likely have to console myself with a bit of green in M42 with my 4” peashooter 😉

Yes, damo has a 22".

Like you say, dark skies stu

8 hours ago, Stu said:

I do see some colour in the brighter ones. I’ve seen greenish tints to M42 definitely, in scopes down to 4”. Actually this is easier to see when not fully dark adapted as your cones remain stimulated. The blinking planetary is greenish, the blue snowball is, errrr bluish 🤣.

Similar experiences here. Very, very occasionally I've seen a touch of pink in M42 as well.

15 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Hey Mike- off topic but you gonna assemble the mob in the new location? once things normalize

Are Canucks welcome? :grin:

that would be good gerry, dob mob on tour. of course your welcome gerry, and mrs jetstream

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, John said:

Similar experiences here. Very, very occasionally I've seen a touch of pink in M42 as well.

I'm going to take a close look at the Cats Eye Nebula tonight with my 12 inch dob. I think that might have a colour tint of some sort as well :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

I see the Veil as a kind of maroon colour too with my O-III - especiallythe witches broom ;)

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, niallk said:

I see the Veil as a kind of maroon colour too with my O-III - especiallythe witches broom ;)

im not going mad then nial

Edited by faulksy
  • Haha 1

Great report and love your shared excitement. I spent some time last year viewing the veil following my first night with it too. It's certainly one of my favourites and there's plenty to keep taking in - can't wait until August to see it properly again here. 

• Thanks 1