SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

GSO 8 inch Dobsonian Vs. Omegon Omegon Dobson telescope ProDob N 203/1200

Hi,

I am a beginner and planning to buy my first telescope. After much research I decided to go for an 8 inch Dobsonian and since I am in Germany I chose Skywatcher 8 inch classic which seems to be the favorite. 
However, Astroshop.de pushed out the delivery date to July and others like Teleskop  Spezialisten have refused to take any preorder before he has cleared his backlog. Astro shop has already postponed delivery by two month and there is no guarantee they won’t do it again. 

They have a earlier  delivery date on GSO 8 inch Dob with the deluxe version with  1:10 micro reduction and better EP - 2” 30 mm vs 1.25” 25 mm on SW. The GSO is 50 Eur more expensive but at this point I am beyond caring for EUR 50 to be honest. 

Finally, they also have an Omegon 8 inch option which Stefan Taube as an expert has commented as the same GSO OTA essentially with a better rockerbox. This unit is available for immediate delivery. 
https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/omegon-dobson-telescope-prodob-n-203-1200-radiant/p,62920

Does anyone have experience with Omegon and GSO and would care to share with me if this is a prudent choice given the circumstances? Are they indeed the same? 
I do not want to wait a year for the device but also would not want to jump in without checking with you experts. :)

cheers, 

shiladazz

Edited by shiladazz
Typo

The Omegon is made by GSO so it is very similar to the GSO branded one. Optics of the GSO and Skywatcher are similar quality. 

Pity the Bresser 8” dob is backordered as it is a higher quality better made telescope  than the GSO and Omegon with a much better focuser and proper large az bearings among many other improvements.  Similar optical quality.

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Telescopes/BRESSER-Messier-8-Dobsonian.html?listtype=search&searchparam=dobson

• Like 1