Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Electronic focus control, but still with manual option

jadcx

I want to be able to image with my FS(Q)-60/76, which in principle is fine. However, focussing with adequate precision is at best, quite taxing.  The obvious solution seems to be an electronic focus drive.  But I also want to retain a fully manual visual option.  So how can I achieve this?  Is it possible?

2 minutes ago, Freddie said:

My Moonlite has a clutch thingy so you can disengage the motor and just use the focuser manually. I assume other makes are similar but only have experience of Moonlite.

I’ve seen that on the Moonlite, but not on anything else. It would be a great option though.

46 minutes ago, Mr Thingy said:

My ZWO EAF has no manual option. They do supply a separate hand controller though, so you can control via that for visual.

Thanks - I looked at the the Pegasus Focus Cube as that has a similar function, but I'm hoping to not require a power supply for the manual use.

5 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Maybe you could use the simple Skywatcher DC motor, and for visual just use the battery operated hand paddle. For computer control you can get the Hitecastro DC focus controller.

4 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I use the SW focuser motors on all my solar scopes.

Belt driven to the 10:1 focus knob.

Just drop the belt for full manual control.

Yeah - maybe I'm over complicating it.  I have a Pegasus power box which includes a stepper driver, so was imaging I could use that for the imaging control, but maybe there's a simpler solution.

47 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Many / most ? motor focusers have a simple manual app for focusing on a laptop and some, like the SharpSky come with a manual controller. 

Dave

45 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

My Lakeside focusers have a manual option but you still need power.

Yes - it's the power requirement I'm trying to avoid for manual use.  As a 'grab and go' and easy travel option, I don't want to need power.

• Like 1

Using the Pegasus to focus would be a stepper motor connection,  for that session the focuser needs to know where it is so taking manual control would not be advisable. Sure, for a manual session using the focuser manually would be fine, so as recommended above a belt driven or moonlite focuser could be an option.

Something like the Deepskydad autofocuser could be a possibility as it may be able to use the Pegasus and it has a belt so may be possible to use manually.  To take advantage of the auto focusing options in Ascom or IndiLib equivalent your Pegasus unit will be supported.  Leaving you with a choice of diy stepper motor/bracket or a pre-made one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jadcx said:

I’ve seen that on the Moonlite, but not on anything else. It would be a great option though.

There is a battery powered manual controller for the Moonlite, I use one on my Lunt LS60DS 

Dave

• Like 1

I am another who uses the slip-the-belt off option (though I have mine on the coarse focus knob). I have two DIY setups where a bit of steel strapping holds a stepper motor above the focuser knob, with a toothed timing belt connecting them that's easy to slip off. Too easy -- occasionally it will fall off during an imaging session!

BTW a 3mm HTD belt fits PERFECTLY on my Stellarvue knobs, and might on others too.

• Like 1

It looks like a belt option is the way forwards then... On the little Tak there are limited mounting options, so I may have to create something custom to mount a stepper motor which i can control via the Pegasus box when imaging, and be enough out of the way when going visual.

Edited by jadcx
Spelling