NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Member interested in beginning astrophotography

BrianS

Hello all. Relatively new to astronomy. Recently acquired a Celestron NexStar 127 SLT. Started playing around a little with photography using my old Nikon D5000 DLSR. Got some good shots of last month’s new moon. I’m looking for recommendations for imaging camera that will work well with this, plus Mac software. Looking forward to seeing what I can do in terms of planetary and deep sky imaging.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I recommend the ASI224MC camera for planetary imaging.

Most astronomy software runs on Windows.  If you have only one laptop, it might be a good idea to get a used Windows laptop for imaging rather than take the Mac outside (especially if it has all your holiday snaps and all your emails on it).

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I recommend the ASI224MC camera for planetary imaging.

Agree. IMHO, ASI224 would match your Mak for planetary. 
Regarding Mac, I’ve been running WIN10 on a 2015 MacBook Pro with Bootcamp. No issues. 

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Your telescope is best suited for planetary and lunar imaging.

It is not well suited for deep sky imaging - because it is Alt Az mount and your telescope has very long focal length.

For deep sky imaging you ideally want equatorial type mount, and although you can do limited imaging on Alt Az mount (look up "no eq challenge" thread under imaging section here on SGL) - you need "faster" scope and special technique (which benefits from dedicated astronomy camera with low read noise) in order to image DSOs that way.

There is growing "branch" of amateur astronomy that might be interesting to you that you can practice with your setup (and some small additions) - EEVA or Electronically enhanced visual astronomy - which is use of camera and telescope to "observe" object on your computer in near real time. This is interesting as it also results in images, it is very similar to imaging technique for Az mounts - but emphasis is on capturing the object rather than making pretty image (which will be hard with such equipment). Maybe something to consider?

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL :) thanks for joining us 😊

My only advice for your AP adventure is to take it slow, with a lot of patience.

I have been observing for over 50 years, and still have not tried AP 😂😆 

On 24/04/2021 at 20:54, BrianS said:

Hello all. Relatively new to astronomy. Recently acquired a Celestron NexStar 127 SLT. Started playing around a little with photography using my old Nikon D5000 DLSR. Got some good shots of last month’s new moon. I’m looking for recommendations for imaging camera that will work well with this, plus Mac software. Looking forward to seeing what I can do in terms of planetary and deep sky imaging.

Thanks!

1st welcome.

I purchased the 130SLT some years ago, and initially used with Nikon D90.

Initially I had issues focusing then after investigation I needed a 2x Barlow lens to bring focus point further out of the draw tube (the bit that slides in and out of the focuser).

Then I found the tripod to be very light, so, i put bottles of water on the accessory tray, and also hung a carrier bag with a half doz large bottles of water as well.

After that I managed a few good - in my eyes - of M42 and a few other galaxies.

For software, Nebulosity lets to run a sequences of shots and also calibration frames. It also allows for stacking and post processing as well.

There was another app, I used later for capturing - Sofortbild I think it was.

Stellarium is useful to select a target and slew the scope to it.

PHD2 allows for guiding.

One thing to be aware of is that your image will rotate in the field of view of the camera which makes stacking a little more of a manual process.

Good place to be starting from tho’, certainly from observing POV

Edited by iapa

Welcome

I see mentioned a D5000 of you have some nice lenses with that then for DSO I'd remove the 130SLT and use just your camera and a lens which would be more forgiving on your mount as lighter and a wider field of view and plenty DSO are large.

On a mac for stacking multiple images there's SIRIL.

The mount moves in tiny left right up down movements which keep the target in the field of view but doesn't follow the rotation so exposure length is limited by how long before the rotation shows, first seen in star elongation.

• 4 weeks later...