Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Lunar Image Using ASI 120M-C

I purchased the ASI 120M-C primarily as I guide camera, with the possibility of some Lunar and Planetary imaging (Jupiter, Saturn conjunction in mind, though that didn't happen). I have done the moon using my Canon 6D and Backyard EOS at 5x, on a SW 200P, the field of view at this is very similar to that of the 120M-C on the 200P.

So on the evening of the 22 of April, I managed to get it set up and using ASI software, I managed to capture 15 frames to mosaic the moon, each stacked in Autostakkert and then stitched and P.P. in P.S. this was the result .

2021-04-22-2143_conv.thumb.jpg.547b53245c00eb7ff86decfee2211557.jpg

• Like 19

@wouterdhoye Thanks, I tried it last night same set up with a 2x barlow (kit) but there was some hazy cloud here, so it ended more an experiment to see if I could attain focus with the bits of kit I have, it worked but yet to have a look at the results, it would be nice to create a mosaic and that size sometime.

Love it!

Nice detail and not overcooked.

I took a load of SER data at the same time using my 10 in Newt and ASI178 MC.

Struggling to get anything usable out of it. Glad I'm not trying to mosaic too!

Of course it's the software's fault, not mine :)

• Haha 1

@Paul M Thanks, I did a few different processes some better than the others. This one with a little more contrast really shows the rays from the impacts, but has lost some detail in the shadows, something to work on.

moon.thumb.jpg.f2f1d66681b0e03ea12f583ddec1ebaf.jpg

Never ever having used a dedicated camera before, the first records were in SER and i had never heard of the format before, I had to look it up.

I ended up shooting in avi for simplicity on the evening, I will experiment with different formats in the future. I shot some SER last night with Sharpcap, so I will look later.

Providing there are not to many the mosaic is pretty easy, providing there is enough overlap, this is the reason the setup with the 2x barlow might prove difficult, whilst 15 was enough to do the above image, I ended up last night with about that many just doing the terminator. That said, if there are enough sharpish images, I might end up with a section, we will see.

• Like 5

The second image is a keeper also. Very nice indeed.

I'm just having another go at my SER files. Got one usable image of the southern terminator area but should be better given the scope size. Now looking at my other file that covers the northern terminator area. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to try and stitch them together. No idea where to start though!

Looks really good. I like the way it keeps detail right to the limb which shows a good control of contrast.

I prefer the first image to the second, though, it does have a little too much blue in the maria.

@Mr SpockThere was an old adage back in the film days, expose for the shadows develop for the highlights, bit different these days, it is more about the dynamic range and getting the exposure right, it so easy to blow highlight details, especially on something with such range of tones as the moon posses.

Regarding colour, it is a bit subjective as we all see colours slightly different, I use two different 22" monitors, and without a colour calibration sensor, I can quite get them the same.

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment.

The 2nd moon image is my fav! I was thinking of getting the 120MC solely for moon and planets too, instead of my 1100d (maybe using it for guiding eventually) and these images are definitely making me think I will get it! Great work! 👏

@kirkster501 Thanks, as mentioned before the final image presentation is always subjective, to me the first is anything is overexposed, as the highlights are a little burnt out, but it has on the whole a better tonal gradation (apart from the highlights), The third image suffers from inconsistent stacked images, due I think being shoot during twilight, some had a blue tint and some a yellow, you can see some of this in the lower left limb.

• 3 weeks later...