NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Outside, ready and waiting... good seeing again?

Mr Spock

Already had some lovely time on the moon tonight - seems pretty steady and good seeing to me so far (and really enjoying what my 130mm can show me in terms of lunar detail!).

Hope you are all having as good a night as mine is promising to be!

• Like 1

It's a bit more unstable than last night. There's enough steady moments to see some fine detail though. Copernicus looks lovely.  There's a deep shadow in Schiller. Plato is also looking good.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marki said:

Already had some lovely time on the moon tonight - seems pretty steady and good seeing to me so far (and really enjoying what my 130mm can show me in terms of lunar detail!).

Hope you are all having as good a night as mine is promising to be!

Likewise here, steady enough for 200x 

Me too - in the steady moments I can get down to 4km or better in that group (and the set just above X). Nice and sharp earlier to about 270x. Not worth going higher (althoguh I tried - bigger dimmer images, but not any real extra detail). Now the moon has just gone behind my roof ; can't be bothered to move the scope, so going for doubles in Bootis instead.

Edited by Marki

11 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

It's a bit more unstable than last night. There's enough steady moments to see some fine detail though. Copernicus looks lovely.  There's a deep shadow in Schiller. Plato is also looking good.

Yes, that's pretty much as it is here Michael.

Fine detail that was holding steady last night is a bit more fleeting tonight. There one minute, not quite so much the next.

Still enjoyable overall though :smiley:

I have a lovely eve viewing at about 250 - 300 mag. I particularly enjoyed the Ramsden rilles and the craters in Plato. I normally have relaxed lunar viewing and don't try to see the finer details, but I really enjoyed pushing my eyeball a bit. Conditions seemed decent our way, it did come and go a little bit. I'm not sure I can manage another late night so I will be happy if any clear patches headed my way would divert to a more deserving location.

I'd like to get to know the moon much better. It's like a mass of targets in one that change every night, I feel like you could study it your whole life. And it's pretty amazing how much can be seen with 100mm of aperture.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

And its not a "school night".... . Forecast looks excellent here! Fingers crossed... .

Well, the BBC forecast is looking good. Clearoutside shows the total opposite and tells me I'm currently under 91% cloud.... better put me coat on again as the blinding sunshine I can actually see had me fooled ;)

1 hour ago, Marki said:

And its not a "school night".... . Forecast looks excellent here! Fingers crossed... .

Well, the BBC forecast is looking good. Clearoutside shows the total opposite and tells me I'm currently under 91% cloud.... better put me coat on again as the blinding sunshine I can actually see had me fooled ;)

I have the same from "Clear outside" as well but it's pretty clear here now as it has been all day :icon_scratch:

Just now, John said:

I have the same from "Clear outside" as well but it's pretty clear here now as it has been all day :icon_scratch:

I've taken to checking:

Clear Outside

BBC

Weather Channel

and Ventusky

The majority win (last night it was BBC and Weather Channel and Ventusky). Although I also have a crafty look as I let the dog out before bed too... 😂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Sadly a lot of high cloud has come over. I can see the moon but don't think it's worth getting set up :sad2:

That's how it was here last night...cold, very cold, a lot of high cloud and few stars visible, so I didn't bother..

I never use weather prediction apps, they just aren't accurate often enough and so I find them frustrating.

I just watch the local TV weather at 6.45pm and then go outside later, and look up ...:)

Dave

• Like 1

I had quite a lot of cloud here last night but enough gaps to make observing with my 130mm refractor worthwhile although some patience was required and I had to opt for targets as they became visible so choice was restricted.

Apart from the moon, I stuck to double star observing.

It's very clear at the moment - fingers crossed :biggrin:

I have a job to do first. I'm going to reclaim my observing patio. See the bush and the bird feeders? They've taken over. The birds will have to move and the bush get lopped.

At the moment I've only got (from the location shown above) views from S to W. Moving up there should open up some of the E and so I won't have to stay up too late to see the moon. 

• Like 1