Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Putting ED objective in a Lyra 102mm achromat

Are there suppliers of replacement objective  glass (UK based) who can either supply the 2 aligned lenses to replace the ones in the Lyra objective holder, or supply them fitted to the holder?

My Lyra is underused and has a moonlite focuser on, and in great condition, so an objective upgrade could be a reasonable/cheaper alternative to buying a whole new ED scope.

Thanks

Steve

I guess that the objective used in the Altair Starwave Ascent 102ED would be suitable:

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-ascent-102ed-f11-refractor-telescope-geared-focuser-467-p.asp

I'm not sure that the objectives are available separately though ?

Is the current objective in your Lyra 102 F/11 in good shape ?. Apart from a little less false colour, an ED doublet replacement might not deliver much in the way of improvements. The objectives used in the Lyra F/11 achromats were pretty good I seem to recall.

• Like 2

I went a little overboard 🤭 with the Baader wonder cleaning fluid (old bottle as well) and this left a residue which picked up some grease and seeped in between the lenses. I cleaned it up and it worked but was a little pinched so I had star spikes (I will not tighen as much next time). Will clean thoroughly with some new wonder fluid, comes apart quite easily once you know how. Before I complete the clean-up thought of the upgrade option.

16 hours ago, GazOC said:

Wasn't there a company selling ED glass upgrade cells a few years ago? I can't remember the specifics other than that it particularly tempting from financial point of view 

That's the challenge to find such a resource,

20 hours ago, Louis D said:

This is the only 102mm ED objective in cell that I've found:

TS-Optics 102 mm f/7 FPL53 / Lanthanum Glass Objective in Cell

Yes, it's not in the UK.

A bit pricy for just the objective and extra considering import taxes/duties. Also, the Lyra is an F10 so the tube length is over 1000mm

6 hours ago, Carl Au said:

For an extra couple of hundred you could buy the entire scope (which are very nice indeed).

Yes, the objective would be to get a bargain upgrade 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

APM seem  to supply some objectives  for DIY

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/apm-products/lenses-cell.html

D&G do them  in usa

or you could get moonraker to build it for you (looking to get my LZOS done)

http://moonrakertelescopes.co.uk/telescope-range.html (not cheap option)

Probably cheaper to buy new/2nd hand, seems a faff getting a new cell and objective of exactly same spec, hard enough getting a focuser to fit specific tube diameter (looking to replace 2.5" custom featherlite with a custom 3.5" silver featherlite)

Maybe after cleaning and remounting of the lens - ED version of the scope could be purchased, lens swapped and cost offset by selling achromat lens in OTA with plain focuser?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

All in all, I think having a go at cleaning and re-mounting the existing objective lens is probably the most effective way forward.

Indeed. With a little TLC your scope will be as good as new. An F11 is more than capable compared to an f7 semi-apo (which is what a doublet is). Not quite perfect when it comes to ca, but good enough.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, billhinge said:

APM seem  to supply some objectives  for DIY

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/apm-products/lenses-cell.html

D&G do them  in usa

or you could get moonraker to build it for you (looking to get my LZOS done)

http://moonrakertelescopes.co.uk/telescope-range.html (not cheap option)

Probably cheaper to buy new/2nd hand, seems a faff getting a new cell and objective of exactly same spec, hard enough getting a focuser to fit specific tube diameter (looking to replace 2.5" custom featherlite with a custom 3.5" silver featherlite)

Thanks I looked at the apm site - the objectives themselves are quite pricey. I did think of Moonraker and may contact him if the clean-up does not pan out.

19 hours ago, John said:

All in all, I think having a go at cleaning and re-mounting the existing objective lens is probably the most effective way forward.

I have no problem removing & re-installing the objective, just need to make sure the next cleaning sessio is done properly.

19 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Maybe after cleaning and remounting of the lens - ED version of the scope could be purchased, lens swapped and cost offset by selling achromat lens in OTA with plain focuser?

I'll think about that option as a last resort

19 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Indeed. With a little TLC your scope will be as good as new. An F11 is more than capable compared to an f7 semi-apo (which is what a doublet is). Not quite perfect when it comes to ca, but good enough.

Yes the Lyra 'as new' is a nice scope.  I under estimated the availability and cost of an upgraded objective so some TLC should provide a working scope.

Thanks everyone of the suggestions.

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi just picked up on this thread not been around for a while, I bought a second hand Lyra 102 F11 some years ago and I must admit never used it more than once or twice, later I bought the Altair Starwave ED102 F11 and I have never used it but I preferred the tube of the Lyra as it was all in one piece and also I preferred the focuser which could rotate and also I have fitted an electric focuser to it which wouldn't swap to the new scope, so I have swapped the objective lenses over which I did very carefully so I now have the best of both worlds for me the Lyra tube and focuser with the ED lens and the Starwave has the Lyra lens, I have never tried to use the setup but hopefully will one day

Gordon 

2 hours ago, Seafury said:

Hi just picked up on this thread not been around for a while, I bought a second hand Lyra 102 F11 some years ago and I must admit never used it more than once or twice, later I bought the Altair Starwave ED102 F11 and I have never used it but I preferred the tube of the Lyra as it was all in one piece and also I preferred the focuser which could rotate and also I have fitted an electric focuser to it which wouldn't swap to the new scope, so I have swapped the objective lenses over which I did very carefully so I now have the best of both worlds for me the Lyra tube and focuser with the ED lens and the Starwave has the Lyra lens, I have never tried to use the setup but hopefully will one day

Gordon 

I have yet to have another clean up session with the Lyra, I have enough other scopes to keep me busy. Mine is fitted with a moonlite focuser as I bought the Lyra without a focuser (closing down sale).

Will wait until there is a sale of 'roundtoits' and then I'll get to the clean up operation.

Steve

On 01/04/2021 at 17:51, John said:

I guess that the objective used in the Altair Starwave Ascent 102ED would be suitable:

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-ascent-102ed-f11-refractor-telescope-geared-focuser-467-p.asp

I'm not sure that the objectives are available separately though ?

Is the current objective in your Lyra 102 F/11 in good shape ?. Apart from a little less false colour, an ED doublet replacement might not deliver much in the way of improvements. The objectives used in the Lyra F/11 achromats were pretty good I seem to recall.

I reckon you are right John. I almost bought one of those scopes way back when it was still semi respectable to own an achromatic. They are KUO scopes I would say