Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with the Lunt CA-K module.

Nigella Bryant

36 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice result. I always do some deconvolution and unsharp masking in ImPPG with my solar shots. Seeing in Ca-K is often pretty bad. H-alpha is a lot easier in that respect

Thanks Michael, it's a new learning curve from HA. 

Looks like you were shipped a good one !  Looking forward to the results from  a clear day.  

One thing I have noticed in all my calcium experience over the last 10 years is that it almost always works best in the "worst" quality of telescopes.   Name brand doesnt mean much to a calcium filter, so stellarvue , APM and astrophysics are just bumper stickers.  In fact, a scope with the most violet fringe you see on the moon is the best choice.   Typically a generic; $100.00 meade 90mm x 800mm standard plastic cell achromat will outperform just about any $1000.00 telescope out there at this wavelength.

Have fun discovering your new skill :) ,   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice addition to the arsenal Nigella. Will be a great tool when we get a few more active regions. 
Reading previous post, didn’t realise calcium filters were also of variable quality - not just Ha. In which, it does look as if you’ve got a good one 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Nice addition to the arsenal Nigella. Will be a great tool when we get a few more active regions. 
Reading previous post, didn’t realise calcium filters were also of variable quality - not just Ha. In which, it does look as if you’ve got a good one 

Yes it can only get better. I too didn't realize that the quality of these filters were hit and miss. One more reason it was good to check it yesterday even if the sky was rubbish. I've been fortunate to get a good HA and Ca-K. Even my badder K-Line filter is a good one. Just been fortunate. I still find it incredible though given the price of these things.

17 hours ago, Kitsunegari said:

Looks like you were shipped a good one !  Looking forward to the results from  a clear day.  

One thing I have noticed in all my calcium experience over the last 10 years is that it almost always works best in the "worst" quality of telescopes.   Name brand doesnt mean much to a calcium filter, so stellarvue , APM and astrophysics are just bumper stickers.  In fact, a scope with the most violet fringe you see on the moon is the best choice.   Typically a generic; $100.00 meade 90mm x 800mm standard plastic cell achromat will outperform just about any $1000.00 telescope out there at this wavelength.

Have fun discovering your new skill :) ,   

Curious. Of course, chromatic correction is not an issue in a <1 nm bandpass, so expensive apochromatic scopes are overkill. Spherical aberration is usually more of an issue at the edge of the corrected range. A slow scope is bound to be better there. Having said that, I cannot say my APM 80mm F/6 hasn't disappointed in Ca-K, and seeing is almost always the limiting factor

Sun_110944_g3_ap1431LRpinvcolour.jpg.3009629712d326b8fddf5c048a75f60a.thumb.jpg.23b5baa2a07e2eb9e3821deb1a2c1df5.jpg

• Like 3

I use a 1A DIY CaK 25mm filter on the ED80 and find it really needs an f10 beam (or better). This means stopping down to 60mm.

I have a 102/1000 (SW BD) for the PST mod which I may try on CaK.

Unfortunately here down on the coast the average seeing is pretty poor....

Such is life.

Full disk coverage with the TV x2.5 PM and the ASI 1600.

100015c.jpg

100159c.jpg

Edited by Merlin66
images added
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Didn't post to wind you up....just to show that not all filters/ scope combos are the same. Following on Michael's comment.

Lol, you'd posted the same thing four times originally 🤣 just thought it was funny, kind of thing I'd do.