Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More unforecast clear skies .....

John

"Clear Outside" gave me cloud cover all night but it's quite clear at the moment :smiley:

The seeing is a bit more variable than last night, good one moment and not the next. Slightly annoying gusts of wind now and then as well. I've managed to see the Pup star with the 130mm refractor on and off though.

The moon is looking very nice again, sharp and steady at 400x with the big refractor. Some lovely detail along the terminator.

I'll have another look at the Nova Cas 2021 later, if it stays clear.

Have fun if you are out :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 6

Lunar highlight so far is this little fella, the 14km diameter Hesiodus A, on the shore of the Mare Nubuim. Last night it was shadow filled so the neat inner "doughnut" was not visible but tonight, all is revealed :icon_biggrin:

ST-Moon-Hesiodus-A.jpg.ade03bc338f35d5fe9c114c64054aceb.jpg

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, John said:

Lunar highlight so far is this little fella, the 14km diameter Hesiodus A, on the shore of the Mare Nubuim. Last night it was shadow filled so the neat inner "doughnut" was not visible but tonight, all is revealed :icon_biggrin:

Great target 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Thanks John, not seen that one before so will have a look when I go out in a bit.

• Like 1

All I seem to get is unforecast cloud!

I've taken to keeping my Mak 127 and EQ6 in the conservatory, set up ready to go at a moment's notice. Just needs plugging in and polar aligning...

Tonight's forecast is for a sharp clearing from the west in the early hours. I keep checking just in case it's cleared early. No joy so far and now it's Gin O'Clock. I won't be risking trying to lug the big lump of gear over the conservatory threshold. I can see that labour of love costing me some teeth even without the Gin! 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Had a look at Crater Hesiodus this evening after you pointed it out, never seen it before so thanks for that John.  

It's rather neat isn't it Steve ?

I think it's one of the best of these concentric craters to observe. Interesting little Sky & Telescope piece on these here:

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/crazy-about-concentric-craters02252015/

The theories on their formation are quite varied.

I'll have a go at the other two mentioned in the above link sometime.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for these posts, John. I enjoyed an ISS pass early on in the evening. By the time the kids were settled, I was feeling really tired. A scan of this thread, plus reminding that part of the reason for getting an 80mm frac was to allow for quick grab and go sessions, was enough for me to decide to go out for 10 mins. Enjoyed another view of the Nova. With a 12.5mm eyepiece I could just eek out a sighting of M52. It was a similar story with Caroline’s rose. The Owl cluster was fun and really suits a refractor with those nice pin point stars. Spent some time on the Moon after that. Wasn’t able to get the centre ring of Hesioduthough that was probably down to the seeing dropping off. My 10 minute session was closer to 40 minutes in the end. Felt wide awake after that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I think it's one of the best of these concentric craters to observe. Interesting little Sky & Telescope piece on these here:

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/crazy-about-concentric-craters02252015/

Thanks again John. Managed to see Hesiodus with its centre ring, very unusual and great to see; I had not heard of it before, so thanks for the pointer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks again John. Managed to see Hesiodus with its centre ring, very unusual and great to see; I had not heard of it before, so thanks for the pointer.

Glad you saw it Stu :smiley:

I've just found that we have discussed concentric craters before on SGL. Here is an interesting thread started by @Fozzie:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/265608-concentric-craters-–-a-relatively-rare-lunar-feature/

When I next get a chance I'm going to try and find another one of these, Marth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marth_(lunar_crater)

Edited by John
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, John said:

That's very interesting as is the thread that you highlight, further down the page, that Fozzie started.  As an avid Moon watcher I am surprised that I have missed these, but it certainly has sparked a desire to hunt them all down. A new area of interest....:smiley:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

One to try for! Clear here last night until I started to set up, then thick murk. Still, "tomorrow is another day" if I remember the quote correctly......

Chris

It turns out that there are lots of them to find Chris, and it has made me realize that whilst lunar 'observing' I should actually do some work instead of swanning around low flying over the surface just for the thrill of it.....:grin:

Edited by Saganite
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Saganite said:

It turns out that there are lots of them to find Chris, and it has made me realize that whilst lunar 'observing' I should actually do some work instead of swanning around low flying over the surface just for the thrill of it.....:grin:

Whats that old saying ?: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" :grin:

• Haha 2