Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

No go here, quite hazy and clouds over the nova. I’ll update the graph in the morning with any observations posted tonight.

Cloud and light rain here so nothing doing this evening from me I'm afraid :rolleyes2:

• Sad 1

Stayed clear here most of the night but skies are getting so bright that I had to wait until we’ll after midnight to view the nova. Still getting dimmer by my estimate around 7.7

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

…. Or is it….. certainly worth keeping an eye on to see what else might do.

Peter 

2A8BCBA1-5D96-4F50-8FBD-1677D5FF424C.jpeg

Might be having a little bounce there!

• Like 1

I am certainly not wagering any money on it…. I though they just brightened and faded…. This one has all sorts of bumps and wiggles, it will be instructive to read what science comes out of all the measurements being made.

peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nik271 said:

I had a lucky cloudy free evening and had a look at the nova around 11pm. I would put it at mag 7.7, it looked just a bit brighter than HD220770 which is mag 7.94

Interestingly SkySafari has HD220770 at mag 7.82. If it is really 7.94 then I would agree with your 7.7. Which source did you use?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

Interestingly SkySafari has HD220770 at mag 7.82. If it is really 7.94 then I would agree with your 7.7. Which source did you use?

I used the mobile version of Stellarium on my phone. Interestingly I just loaded my desktop version of Stellarium and it gives 7.80  for the same star :) They must be using different databases. Or perhaps the mobile version gives a compensation for the atmosphere?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nik271 said:

I used the mobile version of Stellarium on my phone. Interestingly I just loaded my desktop version of Stellarium and it gives 7.80  for the same star :) They must be using different databases. Or perhaps the mobile version gives a compensation for the atmosphere?

The mobile version of Stellarium is not produced / maintained by the same people that produce the desktop version as I understand it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Thanks for reminding me. On that prompt I nipped out just now with my 15x56 bins and deemed it just as “bright” as HD220167 which is 7.16. So I estimate 7.2

Magnus

I've just had another look and done the comparison with HD220167. I agree with you Magnus - I'll revise my estimate to mag 7.2. Maybe the slight "kick" in brightness continues ? :smiley:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updated graph here. I’m using a 6th order trend line but it is not yet reflecting the uptick. Small bounce in brightness though, let’s see if it continues.

0D1174D5-CAC8-4020-91CD-8105246746A9.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

This one is not going "quietly" is it ?

It seems not John. I assume there are relatively rapid small changes in brightness as well as the longer term trends, is that correct @JeremyS?