Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mesu mount (all versions) owner's thread

Jonk

55 minutes ago, gorann said:

I have both mounts but never tested their "breeze resistance" (they are on piers in obsies), but if there is a difference I would expect the Mesu to be the winner, as it can carry twice the payload (100 kg) of an EQ8 (50kg), so it is very stiff.

Thanks Gorann 

really appreciate the input 

Ive just seen a video of the mount I’m buying working so I’m just planning a day trip to pick up what should hopefully be the last mount I’ll buy! 😊

51 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Thanks Gorann 

really appreciate the input 

Ive just seen a video of the mount I’m buying working so I’m just planning a day trip to pick up what should hopefully be the last mount I’ll buy! 😊

What you really will notice is that the Mesu makes virtually no noise. So you can look forward to silent nights.

• Like 1

Hi Mesu Owners! 

I would appreciate some advice

I am buying a second hand Mesu (Mk1, well actually 1.5 if you take the earlier Argo Navis version into account) 

I have seen a video of the mount working via pc connection.

I am getting excited!

He Says the hand control didn’t work when he tried it, but I don’t think I need to be too worried about that as it could be just the cable and I can soon crimp a new one should I need to, also the hand controller isn’t too expensive should I need to replace it? 

Feel free to comment on that if you have any advice. 

The main reason for this post is to ask, what software do I need to down load and become familiar with? 

Ideally I will want to work the mount into my Nina workflow. 
I currently use carte du ciel fo my sky map and would love to continue with that if possible? 

Thanks in advance for any help 😊

Bryan 

Hi Bryan, Think you should visit siderealtechnology.com documentation/software is under support, they also have a store... wired handpad is $95. I'm a SGPro user so can't help with Nina, guess if imaging you use a framing wizard? if so don't really need more than the builtin SkyView part of Sitech.exe vertual handset, also where you Change Config there are nine tabs for this, I've not touched the last two.

Peter

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, whipdry said:

Hi Bryan, Think you should visit siderealtechnology.com documentation/software is under support, they also have a store... wired handpad is $95. I'm a SGPro user so can't help with Nina, guess if imaging you use a framing wizard? if so don't really need more than the builtin SkyView part of Sitech.exe vertual handset, also where you Change Config there are nine tabs for this, I've not touched the last two.

Peter

Thank you Peter 

I appreciate your input 

I have visited the store 

what do I need from these options? 

IMG_1934.thumb.png.4f69ad69251603f5b3af0982b4020f9e.png

I guess I’m looking for a lazy way of getting started, but I’ll probably have to do a bit of reading!

Thanks again 

Bryan 

17 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Thank you Peter 

I appreciate your input 

I have visited the store 

what do I need from these options? 

IMG_1934.thumb.png.4f69ad69251603f5b3af0982b4020f9e.png

I guess I’m looking for a lazy way of getting started, but I’ll probably have to do a bit of reading!

Thanks again 

Bryan 

Best do the reading... guess you already have Ascom & Dotnet

PeterScreenshot_20240210_162817.thumb.jpg.b3f84b8f5af904d3bc907b60b6b66515.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whipdry said:

Best do the reading... guess you already have Ascom & Dotnet

PeterScreenshot_20240210_162817.thumb.jpg.b3f84b8f5af904d3bc907b60b6b66515.jpg

Brilliant 

thank you 

I’ll get my reading glasses on! 🤓

If nothing else, it’d be good when it’s demonstrated, I can at least understand some of what I’m seeing which will help me spot anything unusual! 

Thanks again for your help 

Bryan 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Aw well, still stuck in Dublin now for ten days, so almost three weeks since it was posted.  Good old irish postal service, this is third time I've had probems with them, including one time they 'lost' my APM scope, then it turned up 30 days later after i hounded them every day.

• Sad 1

On 10/02/2024 at 16:50, assouptro said:

Hi Mesu Owners! 

I would appreciate some advice

I am buying a second hand Mesu (Mk1, well actually 1.5 if you take the earlier Argo Navis version into account) 

I have seen a video of the mount working via pc connection.

IMG_0567.mov 2.07 MB · 1 download  

I am getting excited!

He Says the hand control didn’t work when he tried it, but I don’t think I need to be too worried about that as it could be just the cable and I can soon crimp a new one should I need to, also the hand controller isn’t too expensive should I need to replace it? 

Feel free to comment on that if you have any advice. 

The main reason for this post is to ask, what software do I need to down load and become familiar with? 

Ideally I will want to work the mount into my Nina workflow. 
I currently use carte du ciel fo my sky map and would love to continue with that if possible? 

Thanks in advance for any help 😊

Bryan 

Hello Bryan,

I have the exact same Mesu and along with a friend of mine we have made an OnstepX controller based on teensy-4.1.

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2024 at 12:32, Panagiotis Papadakos said:

Hello Bryan,

I have the exact same Mesu and along with a friend of mine we have made an OnstepX controller based on teensy-4.1.

That’s interesting 

thanks 

I have the mount at home now and I’ve played with the hand controller 

it’s a very basic unit (opened it to check the cable connections for continuity) 

all connections bell out from the cable that plugs into the Sitech box but it doesn’t respond so I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the Sitech box, or socket? 

as I’m not going to be using a handbox it’s not really that important but it would be nice to have everything working 

Cheers 

Bryan 😊

I use the Mesu Mk 1 with NINA and CdC. I start up Sitech first, then CdC, I connect the mount to CdC using the Sitech Ascom driver. Then I start NINA and connect the mount, again with the Sitech Ascom driver. For most sessions I search for an object in CdC and slew to it from there. I plate solve in NINA then do the corrective slew from CdC then it’s all NINA  from then on. This could all be done from NINA, and for a mosaic it would be but for single frame sessions it’s what I have got used to and it works seamlessly every time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tomato said:

I use the Mesu Mk 1 with NINA and CdC. I start up Sitech first, then CdC, I connect the mount to CdC using the Sitech Ascom driver. Then I start NINA and connect the mount, again with the Sitech Ascom driver. For most sessions I search for an object in CdC and slew to it from there. I plate solve in NINA then do the corrective slew from CdC then it’s all NINA  from then on. This could all be done from NINA, and for a mosaic it would be but for single frame sessions it’s what I have got used to and it works seamlessly every time.

Thanks 

that sounds like the workflow I will be adopting when I finally swap mounts 

ironically, my eq8 is behaving so well over the last few sessions I’m in no rush! 
And I recently added a deep sky dad  rotator and a new Pegasus Astro focus cube2 (that has some weird problems) to the mix so I’ve had other priorities! 

I am looking forward to incorporating the Mesu in arsenal though, It’s always a “fun” distraction from real life dealing with these pieces of equipment that frustrate and challenge us yet supply immense satisfaction when mastered! 

It really is an addiction!  😊

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still sitting in Dublin customs, irish post office claiming large volume of post causing the delay.  Thing is theyve been using this excuse for 3 years now, maybe time to get some more staff.

• Sad 3

In case anyone is interested in trying OnstepX for their mesu here is my code repo with some changes for my mesu.

The controller is based on the MAXPCB4 board https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/33523 and Teensy 4.1. 
Here is the code repo with some changes for the https://github.com/papadako/OnStepX/tree/mesu

P.S. I am using the HEDM-5500-B02 encoder in both RA/DEC

Edited by Panagiotis Papadakos
  • Like 1

OMG it gets worse!

Sitech have chased it up and have been informed it’s now being sent back to them in America -  it was classed as ‘undeliverable’ by Ireland post but no reason for why has been given.  I’ve been given a copy of the address on the label and it’s complete and accurate and 100% right.

I’m being ask to pay again for it to be redelivered… that doesn’t seem very fair. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Sad 3

On 15/03/2024 at 18:25, tooth_dr said:

OMG it gets worse!

Sitech have chased it up and have been informed it’s now being sent back to them in America -  it was classed as ‘undeliverable’ by Ireland post but no reason for why has been given.  I’ve been given a copy of the address on the label and it’s complete and accurate and 100% right.

I’m being ask to pay again for it to be redelivered… that doesn’t seem very fair. 

The problem with USPS they rely on others for the final delivery outside the USA... items to the UK go through Parcel Force with extra charges incurred!

If you don't want a repeat of this failure try getting Sitech to use an international courier that doesn't rely on the Irish postal service... has there own facilities for delivering items.

Peter 

On 15/03/2024 at 18:25, tooth_dr said:

OMG it gets worse!

Good grief! 
That’s ridiculous!! 
I feel your pain! 
Take a deep breath, count to 10 and keep as calm as you can 

This kind of stress can make you ill! 
at least you haven’t been missing a rare extended clear spell! (Struggling to remember one of those!) 

Good luck, keep us posted, I hope someone in the delivery chain sees sense and deals with this for you 

Bryan 

Cheers Peter, Bryan

For anyone still interested at this point!

The item had been missing in the Republic of Ireland since 29th Feb.  I made several calls to Irish post service at the start of this week and finally got an escalation to the 'international team'.  Miraculously the parcel has now been found and has been sent to the UK.  In fact my wife has text me to say that it is sitting at my house now.  When it arrived into the UK from the USA on 15th Feb, it was for some unknown reason shipped to the Republic of Ireland.  There should not have happened as the UK/Northern Ireland was the final destination, and it should have just been on a overnight boat to NI.   The post office in the Republic of Ireland gave me three different answers to where it was over the past couple of weeks via online chats, until this week I got chatting on the phone and finally made the progress needed after giving off.    I'm usually very happy with Royal Mail but in this case they messed up @whipdry it has come via Parcel Force, and no extra charges.   I'm UK not Ireland.  It should never have went near An Post in the Republic of Ireland, as that is a different country with a different currency and a different post service (a shockingly bad postal service at that).

Lets hope the Sitech Controller is fixed 😂

image.png.8551c028b4424dc56a72448fe4732330.png

image.png.ef51dd366f090cef4388c614974293a1.png

• Like 2