SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mesu mount (all versions) owner's thread

Jonk

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

If anyone can screen shot there utility menu that would be appreciated.

Here's mine... and I see that Equaltorial is not checked for me either.

Screenshot2024-01-10at12_23_01.thumb.png.0cbb5bc9c0d022fd93772c9ac4b47bdf.png

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, AKB said:

Here's mine... and I see that Equaltorial is not checked for me either.

Screenshot2024-01-10at12_23_01.thumb.png.0cbb5bc9c0d022fd93772c9ac4b47bdf.png

Thanks Tony. It’s been suggested that I make a new cable so I’ll try that later. 

Sorry to go on here… I’ve tested the mount again this evening and found that the fault is reproduced using both the hand controller and the pc software (hand controller removed).  The fault also changes axis when I swap the power and encoder wiring for each motor, and occurs no matter if I use the hand controller or the pc software.  I’m 100% now sure the motors and the encoders are not faulty.  I’m also running the latest version of Sitech 95Z software.

Ive checked the power jacks and the RJ45 terminals themselves on the board for continuity, and the soldering is 100%.  I’ve ran a continuity test from the RJ11 end of the cable - that goes into the connector box (on both axes) - back to pins on the board below the plug and there are no breakages or bad contacts.
I have to be fairly certain that the wiring is not at fault here.

This only leaves the controller itself?  Or am I’m overlooking something?  Sitech support hasn’t replied, but only emailed them last night. Lucas has sent a few emails today already. 

Your experience echoes mine, although the actual fault is slightly different.  I had all the same doubts about being sure what was wrong.  This is why I prevaricated for so long.  Although it's an expensive controller replacement (and VAT and handling added about £100 to that) it is only a fraction of the overall cost of the mount.  I diluted the pain, in a strange way, by buying an expensive telescope to go with it...!

The acid test, of course, would be to borrow a controller from someone nearby.  If I was closer, I'd happily do the honours – someone else here offered to do the same for me.  In the end, after SiTech's diagnosis, I just went for it without trying a replacement.  Received wisdom is that the controllers rarely fail, so much so that Lucas has actually glued them on the underside of the mount in some incarnations.

It's a bit like buses... nothing happens for ages then two come along at once.

Tony.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 10:48, AKB said:

Your experience echoes mine, although the actual fault is slightly different.  I had all the same doubts about being sure what was wrong.  This is why I prevaricated for so long.  Although it's an expensive controller replacement (and VAT and handling added about £100 to that) it is only a fraction of the overall cost of the mount.  I diluted the pain, in a strange way, by buying an expensive telescope to go with it...!

The acid test, of course, would be to borrow a controller from someone nearby.  If I was closer, I'd happily do the honours – someone else here offered to do the same for me.  In the end, after SiTech's diagnosis, I just went for it without trying a replacement.  Received wisdom is that the controllers rarely fail, so much so that Lucas has actually glued them on the underside of the mount in some incarnations.

It's a bit like buses... nothing happens for ages then two come along at once.

Tony.

Hi Tony,  I'm currently trying to find a local mount to test.

Edited by tooth_dr

On 11/01/2024 at 13:01, tooth_dr said:

Hi Tony,  I'm currently trying to find a local mount to test.   I see the sitech controller seems to be 25% more expensive that last year too ($500+import and delivery), would like to be sure before I spend on it.  Sitech havent got back to me yet, sent a couple of emails.

I am following this thriller. Hopefully it is "just" to replace the Sitech box. It is a bit expensive but it would be even worse if you had a Mesu 200 Mk I like I have with the Sitech II. It costs 1100 USD in the US. Fortunately I have had no problems with mine so far.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I am following this thriller. Hopefully it is "just" to replace the Sitech box. It is a bit expensive but it would be even worse if you had a Mesu 200 Mk I like I have with the Sitech II. It costs 1100 USD in the US. Fortunately I have had no problems with mine so far.

Yes the Sitech II box is over double the price!  Hopefully hear from Sitech today, Lucas is getting in touch for me. Lucas has been incredibly helpful and quick to reply to my questions and offer advice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Aagh! Please don't tempt fate Göran! Every time I power up the Sitech I wait to see if the red LEDs go blinky...

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

New cable made up

Nice job! (Even if it makes no difference.)  You obviously have all the right tools.

I’m sure you must be able to get inline female phone connectors, in which case you could ditch those back-to-back phone sockets, which would give me a bit more faith in the cabling.

Regarding the controller, I’ve always worried that it is somewhat open to the elements, but enclosing it brings added issues of temperature and humidity control, I suppose. 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 16:58, tooth_dr said:

I’ve attached some videos of my mount playing up.

This is what is does when I unpark it and or start tracking:

@AKB I swapped the RA and DEc power and encoder cables - the DEC axis continued to exhibit strange behaviour, the RA unaffected:

I swapped them back again and the issues remain with the DEC axis.

I tried manually moving the mount with the hand controller, and it’s behaving odd too.  Holding down any DEC button causes the mount to move back and forth.  RA not affected.

Motors go into blinky mode as seen in the screen shot below.  I’ve loaded the original cfg again that i got from Lucas in 2021 when I bought the mount, but no bueno.

IMG_8402.thumb.jpeg.9e8cff4ae5cc74efa6f3da61b2b6fa7a.jpeg

Sometimes it also slews both ways on initiating tracking / unpacking.

Next step will be to contact Lucas unless anyone thinks it’s the controller?

Anything else to check?  

Tony, what is the y shaped cable?  And do you mean the connectors soldered to the board?  I can definitely test all for continuity. 

Had a similar problem way back. After unparking the mount started skewing on its own with no input from me or other software. The motors went to blinky.

The problem was a loose wire in the sitech II controller. 

Never liked the idea of the wires being exposed to the elements but what can you do ...

Most likely it's a controller problem

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dan_adi said:

Had a similar problem way back. After unparking the mount started skewing on its own with no input from me or other software. The motors went to blinky.

The problem was a loose wire in the sitech II controller. 

Never liked the idea of the wires being exposed to the elements but what can you do ...

Most likely it's a controller problem

Misread that Dan, thought you had the same controller as me (well actually thought I had a Sitech II if I'm honest, but I was doing a quick reply whilst at work and didnt engage my brain).

Edited by tooth_dr
Wrong controller

As it was a Sitech II it might be the array of screw in terminal blocks that connect all of the encoders/motors wires to the unit, however I've just re-read the post and the OP does say  in the sitech II controller.

I checked the terminals for tightness when I took delivery of  my mount 10 years  ago, I haven't touched them since.🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomato said:

As it was a Sitech II it might be the array of screw in terminal blocks that connect all of the encoders/motors wires to the unit, however I've just re-read the post and the OP does say  in the sitech II controller.

I checked the terminals for tightness when I took delivery of  my mount 10 years  ago, I haven't touched them since.🤞

Ah yea I read that wrong 😳

On 12/01/2024 at 14:24, tomato said:

Aagh! Please don't tempt fate Göran! Every time I power up the Sitech I wait to see if the red LEDs go blinky...

Don't you have a Mk I with a Sitech II like me? In any case, I never looked much at the red leds - now I've got one more thing to worry about🤮

Sitech have been in touch and have been very helpful.  I've the controller packaged up and ready to ship to the united states tomorrow, and they are going to take a look at it and see if it can be repaired 👌

The level of support from Lucas and now Taj at Sitech is nothing short of fantastic, and so a well deserved thank you from me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Sitech have been in touch and have been very helpful.  I've the controller packaged up and ready to ship to the united states tomorrow, and they are going to take a look at it and see if it can be repaired 👌

The level of support from Lucas and now Taj at Sitech is nothing short of fantastic, and so a well deserved thank you from me.

Great! Good news for you and very reassuring for the rest of us, if we get unlucky one day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Don't you have a Mk I with a Sitech II like me? In any case, I never looked much at the red leds - now I've got one more thing to worry about🤮

I do indeed, it will be 10 years old this year. I dip into the Sitech forum regularly, blinky mode on the Sitech II is not unheard of, hence my concern.

But my immediate hardware problem is with my 3 year old QHY268c camera which appears to have developed a temperature sensor fault…😒

10 minutes ago, tomato said:

I do indeed, it will be 10 years old this year. I dip into the Sitech forum regularly, blinky mode on the Sitech II is not unheard of, hence my concern.

But my immediate hardware problem is with my 3 year old QHY268c camera which appears to have developed a temperature sensor fault…😒

hi Steve..  possibly the low voltage lockout protection on your QhY? 

Could be, the issue has arisen in the recent cold snap but I use a regulated 12v power supply, with 13.1 V displayed locally at the scope.

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but I’m posting about it on the QHY 268 owners thread.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 01:24, tomato said:

It's a great mount. Mine is 6 years old I think. Recently got a 10M 2000 HPS because I couldn't help myself :)) I did compare the mean eccentricity between the 10M and the Mesu and the difference is small in favour of 10M, kind of and unguided vs guided comparison. In fairly good seeing and good guiding  the Mesu goes head to head with the top brands for sure and at almost half the price. A good mount!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi stargazing folk!

A quick question to all you Mesu owners

I don’t have an observatory at my pier is in the garden, reasonably sheltered, but nevertheless open to the elements

Should I expect a Mesu to be as breeze resistant as my EQ8? 

Thanks in advance for any help

Bryan 😊

ps my biggest ota is a 12”Meade lx200

2 hours ago, assouptro said:

While I have no experience of an EQ8, I was imaging with my Meade 12”/Mesu200 in ROS three weeks ago during very blustery weather and managed to capture good data, with no obvious problems. I could hear the wind occasionally whistling on the control room roof.

20240117_160102_resized_1.thumb.jpeg.68cecc15ea0b111150b2b83f7672c1ba.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, assouptro said:

Hi stargazing folk!

A quick question to all you Mesu owners

I don’t have an observatory at my pier is in the garden, reasonably sheltered, but nevertheless open to the elements

Thanks in advance for any help

Bryan 😊

ps my biggest ota is a 12”Meade lx200

I have both mounts but never tested their "breeze resistance" (they are on piers in obsies), but if there is a difference I would expect the Mesu to be the winner, as it can carry twice the payload (100 kg) of an EQ8 (50kg), so it is very stiff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xsubmariner said:

While I have no experience of an EQ8, I was imaging with my Meade 12”/Mesu200 in ROS three weeks ago during very blustery weather and managed to capture good data, with no obvious problems. I could hear the wind occasionally whistling on the control room roof.

20240117_160102_resized_1.thumb.jpeg.68cecc15ea0b111150b2b83f7672c1ba.jpeg

Thanks 🙏 

Awsome setup! 
it looks like the mount survived a hurricane that took the rest of the Obsy! 🤣

thanks again 

Bryan 

• Haha 2