Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Barlow

Carl Au

I have never really used a Barlow. I briefly owned a  TV one years ago, but I don't think it was a Powermate, but I could be wrong. 

These days my eyepiece collection is minimalist, in fact it's a Mark III Baader Zoom. Now I have a nice new frac I can push the mags up a bit with if I get a night with some half decent seeing. 

So now for the question, have any of you any experience of a Baader Barlow? The are short, so as far as I remember should be useful with a refractor,

Opinions most welcome chaps.

I use the Baader 2.25x Q-Turret barlow. Mostly with a 7.2mm - 21.5mm zoom to give a high power zoom eyepiece (9.5mm - 3.2mm). This combination works pretty well. I don't tend to use barlows / telextenders / Powermate's with my other eyepieces now though, just with the zoom.

The Baader 2.25x does seem a nice optic. They kept the body work simple though. No compression ring fitting, just a set screw.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I use the Baader Hyperion zoom Barlow which  Craig refers to above. It is fully compatible with your zoom eyepiece (a good one, I used to have one of those as well), but can also be used with most 1.25" threaded eyepieces. 

It delivers 2.25x magnification normally, higher if you use it with binoviewers. 

The Q Turret Barlow John mentioned is also nice, just simpler in design and a fair bit cheaper than the Hyperion's Zoom Barlow..

image.thumb.png.24832ba3487b740b3c908c74e2d70384.png

I use the bottom two sections shown above joined together, with component A's thread screwed into the bottom of my chosen eyepiece. With your Baader zoom you would join the 3 components shown together, and then thread the assembly into the bottom of your zoom via the thread in part B above.

Highly recommended 👍😊

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. I think I'll invest in one soon-ish, after my bank account has recovered from my new frac that is...

It's actually the MK IV zoom I have, the latest version anyway. I had problems with MKII a few years back, they didn't like the cold very much. Not a great trait in an eyepiece.

1 minute ago, John said:

Ok - that's not the same as the one I was talking about but it is a very good accessory to have with the Baader Zoom. 

Not that expensive either really. 

Entirely different subject, I don't suppose you know why there is a grey hand sign over my profile picture do you?

58 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

..Entirely different subject, I don't suppose you know why there is a grey hand sign over my profile picture do you?

I don't but the forum software just just been upgraded (about an hour ago) and hovering over that hand gives me the message that you "joined recently" so I guess it is a new feature ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

I don't but the forum software just just been upgraded (about an hour ago) and hovering over that hand gives me the message that you "joined recently" so I guess it is a new feature ?

It's the OP sign 🙂.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the Mark IV zoom is a significant improvement on the Mk III? I have the latter - its pretty heavy, and I think the 8mm highest setting is somewhat "soft" compared to all the other settings. Mine is a good few years old now and coming very loose inside (it rattles) and was wondering about upgrading to the IV. The barlow for this zoom is very good though - I recommend it.

Edited by Marki

7 hours ago, Marki said:

Does anyone know if the Mark IV zoom is a significant improvement on the Mk III? I have the latter - its pretty heavy, and I think the 8mm highest setting is somewhat "soft" compared to all the other settings. Mine is a good few years old now and coming very loose inside (it rattles) and was wondering about upgrading to the IV. The barlow for this zoom is very good though - I recommend it.

They changed the focal plane position to be usable in more spotting scopes.  It's a bit lighter, and the click detents are softer and less noticeable at the request of hunters and bird watchers.

The 8mm end is softer than the lower powers, but for two reasons not related to the eyepiece: the seeing conditions are not as good when using the high magnification, and the optics in the scope have to be well-done to handle an 8mm focal length, often.  That being said, what is true of all zooms from all manufacturers is that the zoom has its best correction at one setting and as you move away from that setting, the eyepiece has gradually increasing aberrations, especially spherical aberration.  And it is not, usually, the highest power setting where the eyepiece is best.

On 21/01/2021 at 21:37, F15Rules said:

I use the bottom two sections shown above joined together, with component A's thread screwed into the bottom of my chosen eyepiece. With your Baader zoom you would join the 3 components shown together, and then thread the assembly into the bottom of your zoom via the thread in part B above.

I use adapter A to connect the Barlow to the Hyperion zoom. I wasn't aware that adapter B was required.

image.png.d2332cde177bef3203501617d3cc8be1.png

Adapter B is a T-thread to connect the barlow to the T adapter on a DSLR. Well - that's how I use it:

image.png.b647976bbd26a4d5f484d1b5d79d6bb0.png

Have I missed something?