NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

unexpected night

faulksy

what a great night i have just had. only wanted to put the dob out to try my new 21mm ethos and try my new secondary. they promised clear sky untill 19.00 how wrong they were. here is my little report. all from bortle 5 skys

air temperature .5 scope is covered in frost but well colimated. skys 7/10

m42 proper green showing with no filter, even my wife said wow thats green

ngc 2768, 4449, 2805 very faint ngc 3384,3389 leo ngc2158 very bright

m51 good structure could see the joining arms. m100, m106 m81/82 the edge on one looked like it was showing red. HA regions ?

whale galaxy, still cant believe how big this is. m96/95 m94 blindingly bright. m67 beehive, hubbles var neb love that one. m35 crab neb sunflower galxy m66/65

needle galaxy another favourite, blackeye galxy, on to maks chain, galaxys everywere .

m35/37 starfish, owl intergalactic wondera, bear paw galaxy, eskimo neb, couldnt see the medusa neb though and finished on the double cluster.

ow yea my tracer battery went flat for my dew heaters so ha to stop for a brew.

seriously what a brilliant night. its been a while. ignore the weather reports and get out there.

any regrets, yes i wish i had gone to my dark sky site

clear skys everyone, hope you enjoyed

20210110_031336.jpg

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, John said:

Great report Mike :smiley:

Rubbish here - there are a few stars showing at last but it's too late to set up a scope !

Glad you had a good one though !

brilliant night john, wish i would of gone into the mountains though. there is always next time 😁

• Like 1

Great report Mike, you made the most of your clear skies. Similar story here, forecast clear until 9pm, but actually I was out until about midnight under crisp skies, when the cold finally drove me indoors (-2 degrees).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Great report Mike, you made the most of your clear skies. Similar story here, forecast clear until 9pm, but actually I was out until about midnight under crisp skies, when the cold finally drove me indoors (-2 degrees).

i wear a heated vest, well good

• Like 1

Really enjoyable report Mike. I put out the 12" Dob and started observing around 6.15pm. Views not too bad but the temperature really dropped and the BBC recorded -5 in its report. I was pleased to pick up the PN NGC1535 (Cleopatra's Eye) plus the usual favourites. I also used my 15x70 Apollo Binos to study the Canis Major and Monoceros areas. At 10pm I was getting rather cold so ended the session. Nice to use the big scope again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Really enjoyable report Mike. I put out the 12" Dob and started observing around 6.15pm. Views not to bad but the temperature really dropped and the BBC recorded -5 in its report. I was pleased to pick up the PN NGC1535 (Cleopatra's Eye) plus the usual favourites. I also used my 15x70 Apollo Binos to study the Canis Major and Monoceros areas. At 10pm I was getting rather cold so ended the session. Nice to use the big scope again.

sounds like you had a good night as well mark. makes it all worth while

I dont need a big dob I dont need a big dob I dont need a big dob I must keep saying that.

Great report Mike everything I have no chance of seeing except M81/M82 and double cluster 

now get back to my prayer I dont need a big dob I dont need a big dob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I dont need a big dob I dont need a big dob I dont need a big dob I must keep saying that.

Great report Mike everything I have no chance of seeing except M81/M82 and double cluster 

now get back to my prayer I dont need a big dob I dont need a big dob

you can always come with me to my dark site paul, i have said this before. only cost you your fuel.

m81/82 were both in the fov with the 21 E sure i could see a slight red

1 hour ago, Paz said:

Great report, with that big dob you're going much deeper than most of us get to go!

shame i didnt go some were dark. would of been amazing. nice to see green in m42 and have it confirmed by heather

• Like 1

3 hours ago, faulksy said:

you can always come with me to my dark site paul, i have said this before. only cost you your fuel.

m81/82 were both in the fov with the 21 E sure i could see a slight red

I would love That Mike as soon as I have had my ops and can move better I will let you know to make arrangements Thankyou 

Paul

• Like 1

Nice one Mike - say, that's a nice looking scope ;)

Holy moly: red in M82?!!!  Man that's seriously impressive to hear.

Great to hear you're back in business with that wonderful scope you crafted with your new 21E and secondary. 

• Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 22:25, faulksy said:

might of been 81 niall always get them mixed up, the one thats edge on  😁

Sounds like M82 Mike, pretty awesome if you did see red in it. I guess quite possible with a scope as good as yours. Fab report, slim pickings down here but glad you had a good night.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sounds like M82 Mike, pretty awesome if you did see red in it. I guess quite possible with a scope as good as yours. Fab report, slim pickings down here but glad you had a good night.

thank you stuart, was a awsome night. missing not having a repeat

• Like 1