Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How good is the Pleiades cluster?!?!

Isaac 49

Hello all,

Second night viewing on my first telescope. 
Mars was so disappointing last night but tonight found the Pleiades cluster and it’s absolutely blooming brilliant. I’m totally hooked now. Thanks for all the great advice on this friendly and welcoming forum (much nicer than the Fiesta ST owners club which is my only other forum). 
Cheers, Isaac

• Like 11

Welcome to the forum. Pleiades is always winning. As you traverse from there over to Orion you pass through Taurus and there's a cluster there called Collinder 41, but it's a lot closer and so a lot bigger. It's found by Aldebaran, a bright orange star. With a telescope you'll probably won't be able to fit it all in the view at once but it's a nice place to look around.

• Thanks 1

Hi Isaac,  The Pleiades really do look amazing through a ‘scope and I am glad that you have discovered what a great hobby astronomy can be. 
You have so many new sights to discover and marvel at, never lose that sense of wonder and amazement, you will need it to get you through the frustrating times, such as complete cloud cover, not that we ever get any of that nonsense in the UK. 😂

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

Hey Mark, I’ve got an SW heritage 150P which was recommended here and I’m really impressed with so far 🙂

Jasonb and Paz, thanks for the recommendations, I’ll be too drunk to try them tomorrow, hopefully Friday 😉

Moonshed, I’m feeling you, the scope arrived nearly a week ago and I had to wait five nights before there was even a sniff of an opening 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Isaac 49 said:

Hey Mark, I’ve got an SW heritage 150P which was recommended here and I’m really impressed with so far 🙂

Good choice, you'll have plenty of great nights with it....well as much as you possibly can with the UK weather :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

The Pleiades always impresses. My wife (who has no idea about astronomy and has still not figured out how many scopes I own thank god ) will often join me under the stars and always asks to be shown M 45 even in the Summer!  No interest in the Moon , planets or M 42 or M 31. It's always  M 45 that wows her. Perhaps it's because it's in HER star sign Taurus. Better than no interest at all I suppose.

• Haha 2

Hi Isaac, my wife and I are also big fans of the Pleiades, one of our absolute favourites is M44 Beehive Cluster, it is a most wonderful collection of stars, the more you look, the more you will see a myriad of different  coloured stars, under low power some even look like doubles. With your scope the 25mm eyepiece should frame it nicely. I have just checked SkySafari and it rises around 18.00 hrs but it is very close to the moon at the moment, so I would recommend you wait a little while.

• Thanks 1