NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Little helpful extras.. accessories, outside the box ideas, etc

I'm curious what are some pieces of equipment, extras, accessories, homemade or purchased that have made your life easier (I'm asking more from the side of imaging, but likewise for observing), as I'm still in my infancy in this hobby and I'd imagine there are a lot of simple things that have made people's lives easier, caused less headaches, etc.  What are the things that you are so glad you added to your kit besides the scope, mount, lenses, etc.?? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

A RACI finder scope was my best accessory purchase as it makes life so much easier when locating targets. 

I'd say a RACI and a Telrad together make a really effective combination.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Osiris777 said:

I'm curious what are some pieces of equipment, extras, accessories, homemade or purchased that have made your life easier (I'm asking more from the side of imaging, but likewise for observing), as I'm still in my infancy in this hobby and I'd imagine there are a lot of simple things that have made people's lives easier, caused less headaches, etc.  What are the things that you are so glad you added to your kit besides the scope, mount, lenses, etc.?? Thanks!

Velcro! One Velcro style to attach things like dew controllers and USB hubs to the mount/tripod etc, and another, thinner strip that can be used to tidy up and route cables (by using it as a removable cable tie). I started using the latter after a cable snagged on a tripod locking lever and pulled my camera out the back of the camera.

The finder arrangements mentioned in other posts, ie: 9x50 RACI optical finder AND a 1x illuminated reticule finder (Rigel Quikfinder in my case) have worked wonders for my deep sky observing over the past few years :thumbright:

Added to the above, I have found having a good hard copy star atlas has been a huge help. In my case I found the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas really effective. Using that and the finders mentioned I've had nights with my 12 inch dobsonian when I've found literally dozens of deep sky objects that I've not seen before.

Generally:

1. Decent cold weather clothes.
  2. An observing chair.
  3. A proper red light torch.

Specifically for my dob:

1. A high quality, accurate cheshire.
  2. A baffle to mask the edge of the primary mirror and tighten up star images.
  3. Baader Clicklocks
  4. Primary cooling fan
  5. RACI finder
  6. Counterbalance system so it can cope with heavy eyepiece changes at (almost) any angle.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Velcro! One Velcro style to attach things like dew controllers and USB hubs to the mount/tripod etc, and another, thinner strip that can be used to tidy up and route cables (by using it as a removable cable tie). I started using the latter after a cable snagged on a tripod locking lever and pulled my camera out the back of the camera.

This definitely seems like a great, and cost effective way to keep the cable kraken at bay.  I just started out, but I'm quickly realizing just how much of a rats nest the wires can turn into.  

13 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Polemaster without any doubt.

I purchased one of these, and the bracket they sent me doesn't fit in my HEQ-5 Pro.  So I have another that I've been waiting to arrive... unfortunately the tracking hasn't been updated in days, it's stuck at the "Accepted by airline, started customs clearance" .  I'm excited to try this out, as it should make polar aligning a very quick process *hopefully*

19 minutes ago, Osiris777 said:

Looks aside.. do you think a telrad is going to be too much for a small refractor? (WO Z73)

I think the Telrad would work OK but would be a large addition to the WO 73. Here is a Telrad on an ST80 refractor:

telradst80.jpg

My most useful non-standard accessories would include the glow in the dark tape I've added around the bottom of each tripod leg. 

Then my bodged together waist bag (adapted from a pouch meant for photo kit) with compartments to hold 3 eyepieces safe clean and insulated, a clip  to hold my gloves if I have to take them off, and a velcro patch which holds a £1 cree headtorch which has had red acetate stuck over the LED, the head strap cut off, and velcro glued on the back. 

Finally the orange, coated ripstop, 100% waterproof cover with drawcord edge, (a repurposed 45l Lowe Alpine rucsac cover) which keeps the 'scope protected while it cools outside.

Total cost , under £7, plus a bunch of odds and ends I had lying around , but the value to me in convenience and ease of use is enormous.

A collapsible set of 2 steps that triple up as a seat and table.

A Nivea toiletry bag for holding accessories.

A strange collimation cap made from a polished washer, the foot of a table and a small plastic tube/reducer. Made because I didn't want to put a hole in a lens cap and 35mm film cases did not fit.

collimation cap.jpg

Edited by Spile

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

This is a great thread but it really needs photos of all these brilliant suggestions 

Here are photos of the finders on my 12 inch dobsonian and of my Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas along with another very useful tool. Hope that helps :smiley:

dob12topend.JPG

11x70s.JPG

1 hour ago, John said:

Here are photos of the finders on my 12 inch dobsonian and of my Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas along with another very useful tool. Hope that helps :smiley:

dob12topend.JPG

11x70s.JPG

Thanks John.  I was hoping there would be also pictures of the bespoke solution/hacks rather than just off the shelf items.